U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 11:28 AM

21,188 posts, read 21,522,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletWren View Post
I don't believe the posters on here THREATEN people with hell. I truly believe in their hearts they think they are WARNING, as one would warn motorists that the road ends up ahead.
While I understand what you are saying - it certainly sounds like a threat. Ask many non-Christians - and I'm sure most of them will say that this type of "warning" most certainly sounds threatening. They are free to do it if they feel so compelled - but I think they should be aware of the fact that instead of making one feel inclined to learn more from them - it pushes people away. All I know - is it makes me run in the opposite direction and basically write that person of as someone I will no longer pay any attention to. I have no use for people like that in my life. If there is a God - I can't imagine that he would EVER use tactics like these. The way to open people's minds is through kindness and understanding and love. But that is my 2 cents.
I'm sorry for my legnthy response! In short - I do understand what you were trying to express - that they don't mean to threaten - they mean to warn. However, that is how they are coming off - and they should be aware that their warning is actually doing the opposite of what they are intending.

I really liked you analogy about the soil. I found that beautiful! I think that is a great way to look at things. Bravo to you!

I do like to come on this forum - I don't read all the threads - only the ones that interest me. I, too, like philosophy! There is a lot of hatred and animosity in this world - I find that the more I understand where different people are coming from - the more it enables me to be a more understanding and tolerant person. It's fascinating that sooo many people have sooo many different beliefs - and that so many of them are so passionate about it. I'd like to try to make the world a little bit better in my own way - if that is at all possible! Maybe just by being a little kinder, a little gentler, a little more loving. At least maybe I can make the little world around me a teeny bit happier! That is my hope, anyway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 11:53 AM

4,309 posts, read 5,663,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I am a nice person. I am a patient person. I am a loving person. I am a confident person. I believe in myself and I believe in my heart. I am tolerant and accepting of all people. I'm sorry you have so little respect for me. I'm sorry you have so little tolerance for people with other opinions. If what you call "truth" is threatening people to believe the same thing that they do - all I can say is that I want no part of your truth. You can say it is THE TRUTH but it really sounds to me like it is YOUR TRUTH. I'm not on here trying to force you to believe what I believe. Why on earth are you coming on here trying to FORCE me to believe what you believe. I seem to recall you saying on another thread that you didn't try to convert people. All I can assume is that you were lying since clearly you won't rest until I think exactly as you do - which is never going to happen. I'm sorry to be so blunt about it. The topic of this thread is not - please try to convert me. I'm sorry that you seem to be the only one who doesn't understand that. If you can't answer my questions that I have asked on here - then I don't understand why you bother to continue posting. It makes absolutely no sense at all to me.

I'm asking if maybe God has different relationships with different people. Maybe some need him more than others. Maybe some need more guidance. Maybe he speaks to people differently through different passages. These are my thoughts. These are my questions. I find this topic very interesting. If you don't - that is fine. Feel free to move on.
I'd like to think that am a nice, loving, patient, & confident person too, but how others feel about me, well the jury's still out on that! And, though I too, am tolerant and accepting of most people, (for I see no partially when it comes to love, if you like it, I love it) I am not so much accepting of one's offending behavior, BE IT WHATEVER IT IS!!

Your opinion is just that yours, amen? So, is mines. I understand that. Yet, when it comes down to the WORDS OF THE MOST HIGH GOD, HE CANNOT LIE, nor is it an opinion, it's FACT!! Proven!! Time and time again.... now, about this feeling "threatened"...that's a first ever on this forum that I ever heard someone express themselves about the view of a Christian! A first! But I can see right through this little ploy of yours. That's call your conscience, my friend. It talks! Nobody's "forcing" you into anything, and you know it!! But that's what truth does...make's you take a look at yourself and hopefully make the correct changes, and it's quite ALRIGHT if you don't desire to, your choice!!

But please, I'm not going to start lying to you, nor anyone else that comes here, yes, COMES here to the CHRISTIANITY forum....you are the professed nonbeliever, you, not me...and if you wanted opinions other than a BELIEVER'S pov...you and not me, is in the wrong place, amen? Are we speaking bluntly, yes?

Now, why ask questions if you only want answers that are identical to yours? I seem to recall you saying on another thread that you didn't want to be converted! I mean, if that was the case, couldn't you just keep on lying to yourself? Why on earth are you coming on here trying to FORCE me to lie to you? All I can assume is that you're lying since clearly you won't rest until all the "truth sayer"s are silenced - which is never going to happen!!

Yes, I do understand that the topic of this thread is not - "please try to convert me". But, it's not: How should I lie to you either, we already had that!! Now, if you can't accept (with a grain of salt if needed) answers to the questions you've ask, yes, that ARE different than what you want to hear... then I don't understand why you bother to continue posting, but it DOES make sense to me. These are my answers. Stay.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:06 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,538,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
I'd like to think that am a nice, loving, patient, & confident person too, but how others feel about me, well the jury's still out on that! And, though I too, am tolerant and accepting of most people, (for I see no partially when it comes to love, if you like it, I love it) I am not so much accepting of one's offending behavior, BE IT WHATEVER IT IS!!

Your opinion is just that yours, amen? So, is mines. I understand that. Yet, when it comes down to the WORDS OF THE MOST HIGH GOD, HE CANNOT LIE, nor is it an opinion, it's FACT!! Proven!! Time and time again.... now, about this feeling "threatened"...that's a first ever on this forum that I ever heard someone express themselves about the view of a Christian! A first! But I can see right through this little ploy of yours. That's call your conscience, my friend. It talks! Nobody's "forcing" you into anything, and you know it!! But that's what truth does...make's you take a look at yourself and hopefully make the correct changes, and it's quite ALRIGHT if you don't desire to, your choice!!

But please, I'm not going to start lying to you, nor anyone else that comes here, yes, COMES here to the CHRISTIANITY forum....you are the professed nonbeliever, you, not me...and if you wanted opinions other than a BELIEVER'S pov...you and not me, is in the wrong place, amen? Are we speaking bluntly, yes?

Now, why ask questions if you only want answers that are identical to yours? I seem to recall you saying on another thread that you didn't want to be converted! I mean, if that was the case, couldn't you just keep on lying to yourself? Why on earth are you coming on here trying to FORCE me to lie to you? All I can assume is that you're lying since clearly you won't rest until all the "truth sayer"s are silenced - which is never going to happen!!

Yes, I do understand that the topic of this thread is not - "please try to convert me". But, it's not: How should I lie to you either, we already had that!! Now, if you can't accept (with a grain of salt if needed) answers to the questions you've ask, yes, that ARE different than what you want to hear... then I don't understand why you bother to continue posting, but it DOES make sense to me. These are my answers. Stay.
Exactly my thoughts as well Betsey!!!...and I mean right on the mark!!! Amen!!!

Old 07-04-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:

Betsey - I have asked you once, I am asking you twice. Leave me alone. I don't understand what your problem is. I don't understand what is not getting through to you.
I read the Christian forum - and the atheist forum, and the main religion and philsophy forum, and the food forum, and the book forum, and the New York City forum. These things interest me. People interest me.
I'm not looking to convert. If you don't understand the question I posed, then I'm sorry. If you do understand the question that I posed and choose to try to convert me instead of answering me then that is your problem.

Maybe I can explain things in terms that you will understand. I started this thread as a sort of "show and tell." This is how I see how God (if there is one) having relationships with different people, not tell me how you see it! I'm interested in how people feel about this. I'm interested in people's opinions on THIS subject. And for that matter, I came on the Christian forum to specifically hear the Christian opinions. I think you will find that I welcomed all opinions - even those that were contrary to mine. I thanked everyone for offering their opinion - even if it differed from mine.

You are not sharing your opinions on THIS subject. You are trying to convert me. There is a really interesting article in the main R and P forum that I think you should read. It is about how atheists stop listening to people like you after the first couple words you say. Conversations are a 2 way street - you talk AND listen. You teach AND learn. You do not listen. You do not learn. Therefore, this is not a conversation. You seem to be completely unable to listen or learn. I have no interest in what you have to say. If you care to take part in the conversation that has been started on this thread - then wonderful. If you continue to preach at me with your utter nonsense - I would appreciate it if you would move on.

And for the record - I have no "ploy." I am an honest individual. I always state in my OP that I am not Christian. I'm not trying to fool anyone. And most definitely, I'm not trying to fool myself. You have absolutely no idea what I believe. You have no interest in finding out what I believe. All you seem to have an interest in is making me believe what you believe. Please stop wasting your time. My heart is at peace.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:13 PM

Betsey - the name of the thread is called "interesting read" and it's in the main R&P forum. I suggest you read it. You might LEARN something.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:30 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,663,135 times
Quote:
Betsey - the name of the thread is called "interesting read" and it's in the main R&P forum. I suggest you read it. You might LEARN something.
Thank you Dewdrop93. I will. And while we're thread hopping, check this one out: http://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...l#post13290916 I also suggest you read it. I agree we may BOTH learn something.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:37 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,538,545 times
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you Dewdrop93. I will. And while we're thread hopping, check this one out: http://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...l#post13290916 I also suggest you read it. I agree we may BOTH learn something.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:38 PM

Betsey, Betsey, Betsey... I was sharing a thread with you that was started by someone other than myself - about people other than myself. You shared a thread with me that you started that basically just reiterates everything you have been saying to me. Oh, and you probably won't even find the humor in this...
I think it would be best if you could just move on. I'm very disappointed and disheartened with the direction that you have taken this thread. It had been so wonderful to have so many people sharing with me.

Thank you to everyone who participated. I truly appreciate you sharing with me!

Old 07-04-2010, 12:55 PM

987 posts, read 927,388 times
I' glad you share your thoughts with us, Dewdrop. Hope to hear more from you.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletWren View Post
I' glad you share your thoughts with us, Dewdrop. Hope to hear more from you.
Thank you ScarletWren! Likewise!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity