U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 07:51 PM

7,816 posts, read 10,719,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I actually call myself a heathen - well, a Heatherist to be exact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
You think that a heathen is a good thing? WRONG!!
Quote:
You make me sound like a disease.

You are free to believe whatever it is that you want....I respect your right to your own beliefs and opinions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Betsey does not in the least think of you that way. Listen to me Dewdrop93, I care, that's why I'm here, why I remain....
Quote:
I believe a different truth in my heart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Don't be so hard on Betsey, she really does care. Her heart aches for lost people as all Christians should. As Christians we don't want to see someone on their way to hell. Maybe her approach was too strong, but in her heart, she meant well, and after all this is supposed to be a Christianity Forum and when we see an unsaved person yes we are going to tell you about Jesus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
I'll quote "Just June"....Take gentle spiritual care
That last quote works for June.

~June's thinking that it's time for everyone to take a *deep breath* shake hands, and re-read ans57's quote.

Okay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 08:16 PM

21,188 posts, read 21,060,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
That last quote works for June.

~June's thinking that it's time for everyone to take a *deep breath* shake hands, and re-read ans57's quote.

Okay?
For you, June, anything!

Old 07-09-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Don't be so hard on Betsey, she really does care. Her heart aches for lost people as all Christians should. As Christians we don't want to see someone on their way to hell. Maybe her approach was too strong, but in her heart, she meant well, and after all this is supposed to be a Christianity Forum and when we see an unsaved person yes we are going to tell you about Jesus.
I do understand what you are saying - but I guess I just thought that I could ask a simple question about how people see things - and have people give me their honest answers and opinions. I know that this is a Christian forum - but I was asking a question of Christians so it made sense to me to post it here. I have felt very welcomed here overall - but if it becomes a big problem for people- I will stop posting here. Like I have said before, I never mean to offend - just to talk and understand. I like talking to people that have different beliefs from me (which is really just about everybody!). I like understanding how differently everyone sees life, death, faith, love, and everything else in this world! I've said it before and I'll say it again - if we were all the same - this world would be so boring!

Old 07-10-2010, 09:42 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,689,480 times
Quote:
I do understand what you are saying - but I guess I just thought that I could ask a simple question about how people see things - and have people give me their honest answers and opinions. I know that this is a Christian forum - but I was asking a question of Christians so it made sense to me to post it here. I have felt very welcomed here overall - but if it becomes a big problem for people- I will stop posting here. Like I have said before, I never mean to offend - just to talk and understand. I like talking to people that have different beliefs from me (which is really just about everybody!). I like understanding how differently everyone sees life, death, faith, love, and everything else in this world! I've said it before and I'll say it again - if we were all the same - this world would be so boring!
I agree....

I hope you feel you are welcome to ask questions of Christians. I know they wouldn't want you to feel unwelcome even though they may not like that you don't agree with them.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:04 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,591,395 times
Quote:

"I just thought that I could ask a simple question about how people see things - and have people give me their honest answers and opinions. I know that this is a Christian forum - but I was asking a question of Christians so it made sense to me to post it here."

Well, a Believer/Christian in Christ Jesus answered.....that's what we do here and will continue to do, yes? Tell the truth according to the Words of God! Not bending and twisting, with additives and preservatives thrown in......I won't compromise! I won't lie! You asked, I answered. Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth? (Galatians 4:16)

Did I come on a bit strong? Perhaps, and for that, I apologize. (I thought you wanted to speak bluntly)... I'm not perfect and will never be until I'm home in the presence of my Lord and Savior. Still a work in progress. Not "there yet" by a long shot! I too, enjoy talking to people from different walks of life and agree that we aren't all the same. Please don't leave on my account Dewdrop93. We both can learn something from this experience; me, do be a little gentler Betsey (will work on it). And, you....well, that's for you to know. Do stay.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:55 AM

4,346 posts, read 5,729,936 times
Quote:
I guess I just find it hard to believe one person's interpretation over another person's interpretation - they are all interpretations.
I just had to quote this guy (Mark A. Goldman) at this juncture:

Snippet:

The Bible: reveals the reader's truth--the attitudes, state of mind, and morality of those who claim to know how God thinks. Their sense of morality, they believe, is the true and correct attitude to have as demonstrated by selected stories or words in their holy scripture to which they can refer. Interestingly enough, one can find language in the Bible to justify just about any point of view one might look for.

In practice, each person chooses his or her favorite theme or text and calls those selected portions of scripture, "the Truth." And so readers can easily find portions of scripture that "prove" God is vengeful, loving, jealous, forgiving, angry, compassionate, or whatever. And unsurprisingly, they prefer that characterization of God that best matches their own attitude and state of mind.

OpEdNews - Article: Here's What Makes The Bible a Holy Magical Book

Last edited by june 7th; 07-11-2010 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: Re-formatted post in order to comply with city-data's copyright rules...

Old 07-11-2010, 05:18 AM

4,346 posts, read 5,729,936 times
Quote:
So - shouldn't there be less "I am right" and "You are not a REAL Christian" and more "Interesting - that is your relationship with God? That's great! Mine is like this..."
A lot to think about really. I think our relationship to God is directly reflected how we treat those around us.

But... don't expect a hell fire Christian fundamentalist to accept an interpretation from you which they think will send you to eternal hell!!! Because if they did - from their frame of reference it would NOT be love - right?

By the same token - when I hear the view of those who think God created a scenario where billions of sentient beings (ie: all the non-Christians) will wallow in abject misery for all eternity - I try to show them the absurdity of this view - as I have been doing since day one.

So we must keep all that in mind when dealing with another person - what is their motivation? Why are they not accepting our view? What are the reasons for the contention?

More times than not I find the hearts of people here are pure and that they DO have the best interests of all at heart, even though I personally find some of the views sad and absurd.

That said - I am also learning (or trying to learn) how to engage without being insulting and condescending (which can be very difficult at times).

Old 07-11-2010, 09:35 AM

40,228 posts, read 26,840,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
A lot to think about really. I think our relationship to God is directly reflected how we treat those around us.

But... don't expect a hell fire Christian fundamentalist to accept an interpretation from you which they think will send you to eternal hell!!! Because if they did - from their frame of reference it would NOT be love - right?

By the same token - when I hear the view of those who think God created a scenario where billions of sentient beings (ie: all the non-Christians) will wallow in abject misery for all eternity - I try to show them the absurdity of this view - as I have been doing since day one.

So we must keep all that in mind when dealing with another person - what is their motivation? Why are they not accepting our view? What are the reasons for the contention?

More times than not I find the hearts of people here are pure and that they DO have the best interests of all at heart, even though I personally find some of the views sad and absurd.

That said - I am also learning (or trying to learn) how to engage without being insulting and condescending (which can be very difficult at times).
Excellent post, FB . . . and I agree we ALL could stand to tone down our intolerance for others' truth . . . and it CAN be difficult. Critical thinking has not been encouraged (in fact actively discouraged) by religions by the focus on faith and disregard for any "wisdom of man."

Old 07-11-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post

Wise words! Thank you, Firstborn!

Old 07-01-2011, 01:52 PM

4,277 posts, read 665,923 times
Quote:
If you are truly looking for answers you will not find them here, you must get alone with God, talk to Him and ask him to reveal the truth to you. If you are truly seeking His truth, you will find it, but not listening to people on City Data.
This is a discussion forum and I believe that dewdrop wants to discuss with people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity