U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-01-2010, 09:54 PM
 
5,806 posts, read 4,788,205 times
Reputation: 4303

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Absolutely, Dewdrop. We owe it to one another to allow each other freedom to think and grow! Anything less could not be properly construed as freedom in Christ (IMO). - Heartsong

Good point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-01-2010, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
2,031 posts, read 2,766,552 times
Reputation: 531
God doesn't contradict Himself; therefore, He won't tell someone something and tell another person something different. Truth isn't subjective. When reading scripture we want to know what the author was trying to convey. There is only one correct interpretation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2010, 09:59 PM
 
5,499 posts, read 4,573,490 times
Reputation: 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Absolutely! I believe He has shown me multiple things in the same verse. Over time, layers got peeled back and things were deeper than I had originally thought. So I absolutely agree with your assessment here.

And I like the rest of what you said above, as well.

I don't see people as "christian" or non-christian, or what have you.
I just kind of see folks as folks.
I think the more folks love (truly love, from a pure heart), the closer they are to (understanding/knowing)God, whether they realize it or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I think that's lovely! I see folks as folks as well. And I, too, think love is the most important thing in the world. I try to surround myself with it as best I can!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2010, 10:30 PM
 
Location: Katonah, NY
21,188 posts, read 21,003,441 times
Reputation: 22134
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
God doesn't contradict Himself; therefore, He won't tell someone something and tell another person something different. Truth isn't subjective. When reading scripture we want to know what the author was trying to convey. There is only one correct interpretation.
Well, then I guess you would disagree with what I am saying! That's your opinion and that's fine! Afterall, I'm here asking people for their opinions! There are no right or wrong ones, in my book!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2010, 11:16 PM
 
Location: New Zealand
4,236 posts, read 653,284 times
Reputation: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Hi Everyone! It's the heathen, Dewdrop again. Sorry to bother you all - but I was just wondering...
There is so much talk about who is right, who is wrong, this passage means this, no it means this, etc. I guess I always thought that, as a Christian, your personal relationship with God and/or Jesus was the most important thing. Maybe God speaks to everyone in different ways. Maybe God wants different things from different people. Wouldn't that make sense? I guess I just find it hard to believe one person's interpretation over another person's interpretation - they are all interpretations. Everyone uses quotes from the Bible to prove that they are, in fact, the right one. However, someone else is using that same quote to prove the opposite. Maybe God shows different people different things in the same quote. Isn't that a possibility? And don't we all have to admit that we don't really have any of the answers? I mean - as Christians - don't you believe that everything is up to God?
So - shouldn't there be less "I am right" and "You are not a REAL Christian" and more "Interesting - that is your relationship with God? That's great! Mine is like this..."
Just some things I've been mulling over...
Absolutely ..... I have said and pondered those very things - personal relationship, various interpretations of scriptures, all sides cutting and quoting scripture to support opposing doctrines -- it seems to me that a lot of christians are told be pastors of their local church what interpretation is the correct one and it seems to be part of converting to the religion christianity ..... IMVHO (In my very humble opinion)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 12:17 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,670,144 times
Reputation: 1699
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
God doesn't contradict Himself; therefore, He won't tell someone something and tell another person something different. Truth isn't subjective. When reading scripture we want to know what the author was trying to convey. There is only one correct interpretation.
Still the writings ARE an interpretation from another culture and time... The scripture IS subject to interpretation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 12:31 AM
 
1,220 posts, read 780,937 times
Reputation: 122
Default The Truth

If scripture is the subject of interpretation, then the truth would indeed be subjective...scripture is in fact not the subject of any interpretation, rather scripture is the object of interpretation, and interpretation of scripture is a gift of the Holy Spirit...not everyone has it. The Blessings of The Eternal bring you joy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 12:35 AM
 
1,220 posts, read 780,937 times
Reputation: 122
Default The Truth

Scripture is not subject to interpretation either...however, it is subjected to misinterpretation all too often...The Blessings of The Eternal bring you joy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 12:50 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,670,144 times
Reputation: 1699
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
Scripture is not subject to interpretation either...however, it is subjected to misinterpretation all too often...The Blessings of The Eternal bring you joy...
I disagree. Scripture is not truth. It is men's version of the truth they were given. The truth is what is behind scripture.

I believe.. if the scriptures can cause so much division then it is not Paul's preferences, nor Peters, John... etc. It is the underlying message that is the truth. IF you love YOUR God and YOUR neighbor you will SEE life.

Seeing life is, IMO, similar to our "stopping to smell the roses" and enjoying your life.

The degree of spiritual leeway a person takes (such as sabbath keeping, baptism, etc...) is up to them. Those things really don't matter in the long run... do they?

(Col. 2:16) Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.

in Paul's words anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 04:54 AM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 6,420,510 times
Reputation: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
God doesn't contradict Himself; therefore, He won't tell someone something and tell another person something different. Truth isn't subjective. When reading scripture we want to know what the author was trying to convey. There is only one correct interpretation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
If scripture is the subject of interpretation, then the truth would indeed be subjective...scripture is in fact not the subject of any interpretation, rather scripture is the object of interpretation, and interpretation of scripture is a gift of the Holy Spirit...not everyone has it. The Blessings of The Eternal bring you joy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
Scripture is not subject to interpretation either...however, it is subjected to misinterpretation all too often...The Blessings of The Eternal bring you joy...
...and I say Amen! to that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top