U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 05:17 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,772,831 times

Advertisements

Let me put it this way. I think the scripture has the power of the Spirit to read your heart. You may think you are reading it, but it is really reading you because the Holy Spirit is the discerner of the thoughts and intents of every person's heart. The Spirit searches you. No one can hide their thoughts and intents from the Holy Spirit. Therefore, even if a person "misinterprets" the scriptures, it is the job of the Holy Spirit to teach each person. You have no need that any man teach you. Of course the Holy Spirit can teach you through a man/person - that is a different thing than a man teaching you. The dude who dropped in yesterday knows plenty of scripture and desires to teach it his way - to cram it down people's throats, in fact. Pity the poor souls who allow any person to do that to them! We MUST have our own unique and personal relationship with God via the Holy Spirit - period. In the end - it all comes down to us answering to God alone - not to any man. Therefore, I think it is wise to not try to FORCE your beliefs on anyone. It is just plain wrong to do that. Apostle Paul said we owe no man anything except to love them. If you need to know what love looks like, it is in Corinthians ... patient, kind, long-suffering, meek, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 05:42 AM

5,261 posts, read 6,432,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Let me put it this way. I think the scripture has the power of the Spirit to read your heart. You may think you are reading it, but it is really reading you because the Holy Spirit is the discerner of the thoughts and intents of every person's heart. The Spirit searches you. No one can hide their thoughts and intents from the Holy Spirit. Therefore, even if a person "misinterprets" the scriptures, it is the job of the Holy Spirit to teach each person. You have no need that any man teach you. Of course the Holy Spirit can teach you through a man/person - that is a different thing than a man teaching you. The dude who dropped in yesterday knows plenty of scripture and desires to teach it his way - to cram it down people's throats, in fact. Pity the poor souls who allow any person to do that to them! We MUST have our own unique and personal relationship with God via the Holy Spirit - period. In the end - it all comes down to us answering to God alone - not to any man. Therefore, I think it is wise to not try to FORCE your beliefs on anyone. It is just plain wrong to do that. Apostle Paul said we owe no man anything except to love them. If you need to know what love looks like, it is in Corinthians ... patient, kind, long-suffering, meek, etc...
While I do agree in your understanding of what fruits we are to show in our relationships and communications with others...love, joy, patience, kindness, long-suffering, meekness...it does not negate the fact that the foundation of these "relationships and communications" should be based and founded upon TRUTH<<<>>>>THIS KIND OF HONEST LOVE<<<>>>IS the kind of love that gives life to the soul....ufortunately...the kind of love most speak about here on this forum only leads to death....as beautiful and sweet as it sounds!...this is the problem..and it is my love and my patience and my kindness and my long-suffering in teaching this kind of love that brings life to the one that hears and receives it into their heart.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:41 AM

4,883 posts, read 5,272,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
For myself I have an understanding relationship Him that became clearer and gave me more peace the further I drifted from the religions and doctrines of man

God created each of us as a unique individual perhaps for a unique personal relationship..

I am no longer a bible literalist and his Word [meaning Jesus] becomes more and more engraved on my heart. When I open the bible now it is to find joy and comfort comfort in rereading the message of love in the gospels, the moral wisdom of the parables and the beauty of some of the the Psalms. The bible is a primer for one to begin searching for the Christ in us..
Excellent point Miss Blue...and what is the "Christ" in us...it is a way of living in the here and now. The philosophy taught in the bible is a way of life, treating each other with love and respect. If more Christians actually LIVED THIS KIND OF LIFE instead of just running their mouths about whose interpretation is right and wrong...this world would be a much better place where we could all live in peace and harmony irrespective of what anyone believes. Christians get way too caught up in the doctrine and dogma of the do's and don't and completely forget to LOVE AND RESPECT their fellow man....LIVE AND LET LIVE PEOPLE!!!!

K....I'll get off my soapbox now.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:52 AM

21,188 posts, read 21,060,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
While I do agree in your understanding of what fruits we are to show in our relationships and communications with others...love, joy, patience, kindness, long-suffering, meekness...it does not negate the fact that the foundation of these "relationships and communications" should be based and founded upon TRUTH<<<>>>>THIS KIND OF HONEST LOVE<<<>>>IS the kind of love that gives life to the soul....ufortunately...the kind of love most speak about here on this forum only leads to death....as beautiful and sweet as it sounds!...this is the problem..and it is my love and my patience and my kindness and my long-suffering in teaching this kind of love that brings life to the one that hears and receives it into their heart.
So, I guess you would also disagree with my thinking! That is fine as well! Like said -there are no wrong or right opinions, just opinions.

It just seems to me that some people think they know God better than others. I guess it just confuses me how they would know this... It isn't so much as them thinking that they can read other people's minds - it just seems that they think they, and they alone, can read God's mind as well. I mean, aren't we supposed to be humble?

Mind you, these are just my heathen thoughts - but I just feel like if there is a God - he would reach us all in his own way and in the way that is best for each of us individually. Sort of like a parent having different types of relaitionships with each one of his/her children. No two people are alike - no two relationships are alike. Wouldn't God know this and understand this - and maybe love and guide each person in the way that is best for them?

Old 07-02-2010, 07:54 AM

66 posts, read 64,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Hi Everyone! It's the heathen, Dewdrop again. Sorry to bother you all - but I was just wondering...
There is so much talk about who is right, who is wrong, this passage means this, no it means this, etc. I guess I always thought that, as a Christian, your personal relationship with God and/or Jesus was the most important thing. Maybe God speaks to everyone in different ways. Maybe God wants different things from different people. Wouldn't that make sense? I guess I just find it hard to believe one person's interpretation over another person's interpretation - they are all interpretations. Everyone uses quotes from the Bible to prove that they are, in fact, the right one. However, someone else is using that same quote to prove the opposite. Maybe God shows different people different things in the same quote. Isn't that a possibility? And don't we all have to admit that we don't really have any of the answers? I mean - as Christians - don't you believe that everything is up to God?
So - shouldn't there be less "I am right" and "You are not a REAL Christian" and more "Interesting - that is your relationship with God? That's great! Mine is like this..."
Just some things I've been mulling over...
amen to that

have a great day

Old 07-02-2010, 08:05 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,299,831 times
I tend to agree with the OP, that it's the relationship that counts.
Many say that they are listening to the Holy Spirit, but their works and divisions do not confirm this? Everybody says "we have the mind of Christ." But is it true? How can someone state that they "have the mind of Christ" while walking in hate and violence?? I think we need to wake up! We're so busy trying to find a demon or deception behind a door or under a bed, that we can't see the hate and intolerance in our doctrines!

So, in order to eliminate some doubt, we can look at some very clear scriptures which tell us what the fruits of the Spirit are. And those of the flesh. They are verses which can't be "interpreted" too much, because they are so simple! Love is not difficult (except for those who believe in hell, IMO). Peace is not difficult to understand. Mercy is not difficult to understand.

Relationship is not difficult to understand. If someone is hurt, or angry, or joyful, we can understand it automatically! No need to "interpret." Even little children understand relationships.

Blessings,
brian

Old 07-02-2010, 08:31 AM

21,654 posts, read 30,295,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
God doesn't contradict Himself; therefore, He won't tell someone something and tell another person something different. Truth isn't subjective. When reading scripture we want to know what the author was trying to convey. There is only one correct interpretation.
YES! The confusion is because not everyone is listening to the Holy Spirit.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:35 AM

5,261 posts, read 6,432,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Amen!!!!!!!...EXACTLY!!!

Old 07-02-2010, 08:53 AM

21,188 posts, read 21,060,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Then, I guess my question would be - how do you know they aren't? Because they hear something different than you? Maybe the Holy Spirit is telling them what they need to hear and is telling you what you need to hear.
I just don't know how some of you think you are right and anyone who sees things in a different way is wrong... I guess it just doesn't make sense to me... But, to each their own!
Hmm... reading this over - it sounds argumentative... Just imagine hearing it in a voice that is not argumentative but slightly confused and sounds pondering...

Old 07-02-2010, 09:00 AM

4,309 posts, read 5,591,395 times
I know you said you weren't interested in truth, yet, there's only one way to tell it. There's plenty who would be willing to give you a "feel good' story, telling you what you desire to hear, rather than telling you what you need to hear.

No man, no woman is worthy of a relationship with a Holy God because of Adam's sin (Romans 5:18, 1 Corinthians 15:22). NONE!! No one can earn or work their way into a relationship with God. All men and women fall short of God’s standards, because all have sinned (Romans 3:23) ALLLL!! God’s judgement of sin is eternal death.

But wait!! God had a plan!! God sent His Son, born of a woman, to live a life here on earth. He came to pay the price for our sins with His death on the cross. His reconciling love was demonstrated on the cross through the death of His sinless Son. But just as God initially gave Adam and Eve the choice to obey or disobey, He also gives us the choice of accepting Christ’s death for OUR sins. Amen?

God doesn’t force us into a relationship with Him. Instead, He freely offers it as a gift for us to accept or reject. The choice is ours. We can accept Christ’s death on the cross as the payment for our sins and in return enter into a relationship with God that begins here in this life and continues on into eternity with Him living in Heaven.

By faith we can acknowledge and accept Christ’s death as payment for our sins. Although it is by faith alone that we enter into a relationship with God, the results of true faith in God are seen in a deepening relationship with Him, an increased desire to follow His commands for our lives, and an increasing likeness to the life that Christ lived.

Yes, each relationship is quite different and unique, but God's nature is such that He will ONLY COMMUNICATE back to you in one way and one way only.......in TRUTH!! But if that's not your desire, I'm not sure what exactly you're seeking, and I don't know how I can help.

Betsey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity