U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-02-2010, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Out of Florida........
4,309 posts, read 5,600,679 times
Reputation: 939

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
...girrrllll!!!!....do you hear me...!!!
10-4.............. LOUD AND CLEAR!!!!!! Got keep praying!!
http://bestsmileys.com/talking/4.gif (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-02-2010, 12:28 PM
 
Location: God's Country
21,674 posts, read 30,339,069 times
Reputation: 30216
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
--But evidently, he does. We read it on here all the time. One person believes that God told him/her one thing, all the while others may disagree. Who is to say who is right, who is wrong, or for that matter, to even question it. It would seem to June that if someone is saying "God told me..." in prayer or circumstantially/situationally in life, then it is somewhat dificult to discredit that...(Unless one is talking religiously-based psychosis, which is a whole other thing, altogether.)

--But Coon Girl, what if everyone thinks they are? That's the nature of the whole problem here: Everyone who is a believer/Christian no doubt believes that they are, in fact, "in tune with" and listening to the Holy Spirit. Heck, June remembers a time when something ridiculously coincidental happened with some geese, and it somehow popped into her head that "If that Holy Spirit is a real entity, then this must be what they all mean!" Now granted, June immediately dismissed that thought, but ya see where June is going with this? (And who wouldn't be inclined to dismiss such an experience, right?

Take gentle care.
No Coon Sister He does not. God is not the author of confusion 1 Corinthians 14:33. John 14:26 also tells us that the Holy Spirit makes all things known to us and enables us to discern truth from error.
You can know, but first you must have a relationship with God, read His Word, study it, mediate on it. A believer can know Jesus as Savior, but fail to know His ways and character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Out of Florida........
4,309 posts, read 5,600,679 times
Reputation: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
No Coon Sister He does not. God is not the author of confusion 1 Corinthians 14:33. John 14:26 also tells us that the Holy Spirit makes all things known to us and enables us to discern truth from error.
You can know, but first you must have a relationship with God, read His Word, study it, mediate on it. A believer can know Jesus as Savior, but fail to know His ways and character.

Exactly. Yet, it's not ENOUGH to "know" June.......


Ephesians 2:8-9 says: "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast."

You MUST ACCEPT, YOUR GIFT of salvation!!! And, I pray for all those who have not, in Jesus name, amen. Say yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 12:44 PM
 
1,468 posts, read 1,882,436 times
Reputation: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Exactly. Yet, it's not ENOUGH to "know" June.......


Ephesians 2:8-9 says: "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast."

You MUST ACCEPT, YOUR GIFT of salvation!!! And, I pray for all those who have not, in Jesus name, amen. Say yes.
Novelist Evelyn Waugh, a convert to the Catholic faith, describes "the operation of Grace" as follows:
"The unmerited and unilateral act of love by which God continually calls souls to Himself."
He calls. Then He waits for us to answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 01:42 PM
 
7,817 posts, read 10,735,313 times
Reputation: 3457
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
The above are points that "religious" folk of any religion just simply choose to ignore. Religious belief and the "Truth" found is not as cut and dried like so many purport to preach. Different denominations/sects/religions come to different conclusions about what exactly "Truth" is. Different denominations/sects/religions all come to these different conclusions of what "Truth" is while using the exact same holy books of their respective religions...why do you suppose that is, especially when most claim they are hearing directly from god/holy spirit/allah, etc?

It is clear to me that NO ONE has the market on exactly what the "TRUTH" is regarding religious matters and anyone who claims they do are simply deluding themselves...for the evidence against that claim is all around us. Therefore, it is inappropriate for ANYONE to claim that they have the absolute and perfect "TRUTH" regarding religious matters...everyone should be honest with themselves and state that the "Truth" is what one accepts as "Truth" (and this can be based on many factors) and not necessarily the "Absolute Truth".
An atheist "amen" from June regarding the ^ above!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I think you make some very valid points. Spiritual experiences, which are the means by which we get to know God, are intensely personal. It's utter nonsense for anyone (Christian or not) to attempt to say that someone else's spritual experiences are less valid than theirs or just plain flat out wrong. For instance, if I read the scriptures, ponder on what I've read, and ask God in prayer how He wants me to understand them and apply them in my life, sincerely believing that He will answer my prayers, I believe He will speak to me through the power of the Holy Ghost. When that happens, it is so totally inappropriate for anyone else to tell me that the answers I get are wrong, that I'm listening to the devil, that I'm misguided, etc. I believe all of us -- Christian and non-Christian alike -- are doing the best we can with what we've got. We want to make the right choices and live our lives in such a way that we can die in peace at the end. What right does anyone have to condemn anyone else? I just don't see it.
...And another atheist "amen" regarding the ^ above.


Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
No Coon Sister He does not. God is not the author of confusion 1 Corinthians 14:33. John 14:26 also tells us that the Holy Spirit makes all things known to us and enables us to discern truth from error.
You can know, but first you must have a relationship with God, read His Word, study it, mediate on it. A believer can know Jesus as Savior, but fail to know His ways and character.
June can accept that. (In theory, sorta.) So another atheist "amen" for my Coon Sister!....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post

"The unmerited and unilateral act of love by which God continually calls souls to Himself."
June always loved the quote above, in a nonbeliever's sort of way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Katonah, NY
21,188 posts, read 21,109,108 times
Reputation: 22139
So, I guess some of you thought I started this thread because I wanted you to pray for me and save my soul!!!
I would like to clear up one HUGE thing - I am not a he! I am a she! It doesn't really matter - it's just strange for me to hear myself talked about as a male! If you saw me in person - I doubt you would make that mistake!
Betsey, Betsey, Betsey, you and I will never see eye to eye. You have made it clear what you think of me - I think enough has been said about that. Our "truths" will always be different. I respect your right to yours, it would be lovely if you would respect my right to mine. I can dream, can't I?
June - it's like you are reading my mind! Word for word!
Katzpur - lovely posts!

I know I'm not going to change any minds here. To quote Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?" I guess that's always my goal. I just can't believe that, if there is a God, that God would have wanted all this discord! And, I'm sorry if I offend some of you, but I would never take the word of a human as the word of God! Those of you who say that YOU know, and YOU are right - and everyone else is wrong and is going to Hell - that sort of sounds to me like you think you know God's thoughts better than God knows his own thoughts! And I know some of you keep coming back to scripture - and some of you say it isn't open to interpretation - it's just that not everyone is reading correctly. Well, I just can't imagine God saying things or having them written in which only SOME people understood it correctly. I feel like - if God intended for there to be only ONE right way to see things - he wouldn't let sooooo many people see it differently. I also feel that so many people who think that they alone know the truth - sound so self rightous and condescending. Is that what God would want? For people to try to make other people feel bad or stupid? I just can't wrap my head around that one either.
For those of you who this is an issue for - no, I am not a believer. However, I have friends and family who are. I also see those around me that definitely need God in their lives. I would NEVER try to take that away from them. In fact, I have tried to get some of my friends to keep their faith when they felt God had turned their back on them. I guess this just goes back to my feeling that - if there is a God - maybe the beliefs, the faith, the relationship that each person has - is exactly what they are supposed to have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 02:12 PM
 
7,817 posts, read 10,735,313 times
Reputation: 3457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
June - it's like you are reading my mind! Word for word!
...That's because June is, despite merely being a figment of your imagination!...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 02:48 PM
 
5,499 posts, read 4,592,538 times
Reputation: 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
So, I guess some of you thought I started this thread because I wanted you to pray for me and save my soul!!!
I would like to clear up one HUGE thing - I am not a he! I am a she! It doesn't really matter - it's just strange for me to hear myself talked about as a male! If you saw me in person - I doubt you would make that mistake!
Betsey, Betsey, Betsey, you and I will never see eye to eye. You have made it clear what you think of me - I think enough has been said about that. Our "truths" will always be different. I respect your right to yours, it would be lovely if you would respect my right to mine. I can dream, can't I?
June - it's like you are reading my mind! Word for word!
Katzpur - lovely posts!

I know I'm not going to change any minds here. To quote Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?" I guess that's always my goal. I just can't believe that, if there is a God, that God would have wanted all this discord! And, I'm sorry if I offend some of you, but I would never take the word of a human as the word of God! Those of you who say that YOU know, and YOU are right - and everyone else is wrong and is going to Hell - that sort of sounds to me like you think you know God's thoughts better than God knows his own thoughts! And I know some of you keep coming back to scripture - and some of you say it isn't open to interpretation - it's just that not everyone is reading correctly. Well, I just can't imagine God saying things or having them written in which only SOME people understood it correctly. I feel like - if God intended for there to be only ONE right way to see things - he wouldn't let sooooo many people see it differently. I also feel that so many people who think that they alone know the truth - sound so self rightous and condescending. Is that what God would want? For people to try to make other people feel bad or stupid? I just can't wrap my head around that one either.
For those of you who this is an issue for - no, I am not a believer. However, I have friends and family who are. I also see those around me that definitely need God in their lives. I would NEVER try to take that away from them. In fact, I have tried to get some of my friends to keep their faith when they felt God had turned their back on them. I guess this just goes back to my feeling that - if there is a God - maybe the beliefs, the faith, the relationship that each person has - is exactly what they are supposed to have.
Well done...can't rep...otherwise I would...

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
...That's because June is, despite merely being a figment of your imagination!...
Oh noooo...2 reflections or is it...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 06:01 PM
 
40,420 posts, read 26,946,011 times
Reputation: 6081
There is no way to stop a suicide believer in Allah's "TRUTH" or convince him that he is an ignorant moron wasting his life and incurring a soul debt for his heinous act. What we are dealing with here in this forum is the exact same phenomenon . . . "only the names and actions have been changed to protect the innocent." We enter this world alone . . . we leave it alone and the only one we have to account to for it is God (or not). That relationship is personal and not up for debate. No one can be threatened into or forced into any belief for any reason. We believe what we believe and it is our entire responsibility, period. Give it a rest, folks . . . especially the self-righteous "TRUTH"-givers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 06:45 PM
 
Location: Florida
593 posts, read 653,503 times
Reputation: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
So, I guess you would also disagree with my thinking! That is fine as well! Like said -there are no wrong or right opinions, just opinions.

It just seems to me that some people think they know God better than others. I guess it just confuses me how they would know this... It isn't so much as them thinking that they can read other people's minds - it just seems that they think they, and they alone, can read God's mind as well. I mean, aren't we supposed to be humble?

Mind you, these are just my heathen thoughts - but I just feel like if there is a God - he would reach us all in his own way and in the way that is best for each of us individually. Sort of like a parent having different types of relaitionships with each one of his/her children. No two people are alike - no two relationships are alike. Wouldn't God know this and understand this - and maybe love and guide each person in the way that is best for them?
I am not being sarcastic in any way. But some do know God more than others according to the faith they have received. We are not all at the same pace or journey in our relationship with Christ. I have not heard or read anyone on this board say they know God better. Even though, 'truth", some do and there is nothing good or bad about this. That is sad to assume someone is using this to be better than the next. Some do know Him more and know the scriptures more. Praise God for using a person this way. All the disciples know more than me, they lived with Jesus. And Paul knew scripture front to back and met Christ. This is awesome and God is worthy of praise for working in a person this way.
We must be careful of assuming spirits, pointing the finger in negative ways because someone quotes scripture. And believe most people who belong to Christ only want the best for other Christians. God has every believer speak scripture for a reason, sow the seed, God will make it grow.

God Bless,
Mercy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top