Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 08:36 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! It's the heathen, Dewdrop again. Sorry to bother you all - but I was just wondering...
There is so much talk about who is right, who is wrong, this passage means this, no it means this, etc. I guess I always thought that, as a Christian, your personal relationship with God and/or Jesus was the most important thing. Maybe God speaks to everyone in different ways. Maybe God wants different things from different people. Wouldn't that make sense? I guess I just find it hard to believe one person's interpretation over another person's interpretation - they are all interpretations. Everyone uses quotes from the Bible to prove that they are, in fact, the right one. However, someone else is using that same quote to prove the opposite. Maybe God shows different people different things in the same quote. Isn't that a possibility? And don't we all have to admit that we don't really have any of the answers? I mean - as Christians - don't you believe that everything is up to God?
So - shouldn't there be less "I am right" and "You are not a REAL Christian" and more "Interesting - that is your relationship with God? That's great! Mine is like this..."
Just some things I've been mulling over...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 08:39 PM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Hi Everyone! It's the heathen, Dewdrop again. Sorry to bother you all - but I was just wondering...
There is so much talk about who is right, who is wrong, this passage means this, no it means this, etc. I guess I always thought that, as a Christian, your personal relationship with God and/or Jesus was the most important thing. Maybe God speaks to everyone in different ways. Maybe God wants different things from different people. Wouldn't that make sense? I guess I just find it hard to believe one person's interpretation over another person's interpretation - they are all interpretations. Everyone uses quotes from the Bible to prove that they are, in fact, the right one. However, someone else is using that same quote to prove the opposite. Maybe God shows different people different things in the same quote. Isn't that a possibility? And don't we all have to admit that we don't really have any of the answers? I mean - as Christians - don't you believe that everything is up to God?
So - shouldn't there be less "I am right" and "You are not a REAL Christian" and more "Interesting - that is your relationship with God? That's great! Mine is like this..."
If you are truly looking for answers you will not find them here, you must get alone with God, talk to Him and ask him to reveal the truth to you. If you are truly seeking His truth, you will find it, but not listening to people on City Data.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:43 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
Quote:
Does someone, somehow, possess psychic ability to enter into June's mind? But for the fact that you didn't end your OP with "take gentle care" June would have started wondering whether she was two people, instead of just one "just June" who only exists in the imaginations of others....*Phew!*

"Take gentle care!"

P.S. For reasons obvious, June thinks yours is a great OP/question/point!

Old 07-01-2010, 08:44 PM

I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA - Maybe I didn't make myself clear (which is a big possibility with me - I'm a rambler). I'm not seeking the truth. I already know what I believe. I'm not looking for answers as to what I believe. And I'm not trying to get others to believe what I believe. I'm simply asking if anyone has ever thought about this. If God is all-knowing and perfect - wouldn't it make sense that he would develop relationships with people based upon the individual and their needs. So maybe - each person is going to have a different relationship with God and a different interpretation of the bible - and maybe that's God's plan.
But thank you for your response.

June - it seems that you and I exist on the same wave legnth!

Old 07-01-2010, 08:52 PM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
Quote:
Hi Dewdrop, (I love your name by the way)

That's similar to how I see it. "Interesting... that is your relationship with God? That's great.. mine is like this"

I am very "let folks be" because everyone has their own path to walk.

however I will absolutely not hesitate to let my beliefs about God's love be known. I will not hesitate to FIGHT the horribleness of people preaching and teaching that God our Creator will just snuff people out at best or at worse roast them alive for all eternity. NO. I can't "let folks be" with that one. Of course, it rarely makes a difference to the one who believes such awful things when I say what I come to say. HOWEVER.... for those seeking out there, they need to know that there is another way. That what is being drilled into their heads over and over wherever they look, churches, preachers, etc., that there is something WRONG with that. That there are other people in the world that are NOT subscribing to that ugliness. That they are not alone, there are other people who SEE something that does not coincide with the mainstream beliefs. That's the main reason I stand up and say "HEY.... that's NOT what I believe... and here is why!"

We are talking about the very CORE of God.
So many have taught that God is pure evil at the very core.
I'm going to stand up to that when I can, Dewdrop.

Just as if someone were to say my earthly father was a no-good, lying, hypocritical, evil monster. I know it's not true. And I'm going to have to stand up.

Everything is..... y'know what, it IS "let folks be, we're all on our own path". But the CORE issue of God's goodness... I can't just sit back and say nothing. It's too important of an issue. I do not really participate in debates about much else.

Again, it's not because I think I'm going to change someone's mind, as much as it's about being a voice standing AGAINST the mainstream belief of the CHARACTER of God.

I'm actually with you and agree with you on your view.
With one exception, (what I just explained above about the one topic I must voice my beliefs.)

hope this makes sense..
peace,
sparrow

Old 07-01-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Maybe God shows different people different things in the same quote. Isn't that a possibility? And don't we all have to admit that we don't really have any of the answers? I mean - as Christians - don't you believe that everything is up to God?

Absolutely! I believe He has shown me multiple things in the same verse. Over time, layers got peeled back and things were deeper than I had originally thought. So I absolutely agree with your assessment here.

And I like the rest of what you said above, as well.

I don't see people as "christian" or non-christian, or what have you.
I just kind of see folks as folks.
I think the more folks love (truly love, from a pure heart), the closer they are to (understanding/knowing)God, whether they realize it or not.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Absolutely! I believe He has shown me multiple things in the same verse. Over time, layers got peeled back and things were deeper than I had originally thought. So I absolutely agree with your assessment here.

And I like the rest of what you said above, as well.

I don't see people as "christian" or non-christian, or what have you.
I just kind of see folks as folks.
I think the more folks love (truly love, from a pure heart), the closer they are to (understanding/knowing)God, whether they realize it or not.
I think that's lovely! I see folks as folks as well. And I, too, think love is the most important thing in the world. I try to surround myself with it as best I can!

Old 07-01-2010, 09:05 PM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA - Maybe I didn't make myself clear (which is a big possibility with me - I'm a rambler). I'm not seeking the truth. I already know what I believe. I'm not looking for answers as to what I believe. And I'm not trying to get others to believe what I believe. I'm simply asking if anyone has ever thought about this. If God is all-knowing and perfect - wouldn't it make sense that he would develop relationships with people based upon the individual and their needs. So maybe - each person is going to have a different relationship with God and a different interpretation of the bible - and maybe that's God's plan.
But thank you for your response.

June - it seems that you and I exist on the same wave legnth!
Well my answer still applies to anyone seeking the truth John 14:26 tells us that the Holy Spirit enables us to discern truth from error. People who are not listening to the Holy Spirit are going to misinterpret the Bible.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
I think that's lovely! I see folks as folks as well. And I, too, think love is the most important thing in the world. I try to surround myself with it as best I can!

Old 07-01-2010, 09:09 PM

697 posts, read 1,071,825 times
Quote:
Everyone uses quotes from the Bible to prove that they are, in fact, the right one. However, someone else is using that same quote to prove the opposite.
I like to read how others use Bible verses to support their opinions, even when I don't agree with them. Sometimes I find a new way to look at a verse or learn about some new interpretation. Also, if I don't agree, it makes me think a lot harder about why I don't agree. Is it because the passage is ambiguous and open to various interpretations? Is my interpretation justifiable? Or do I just want to read a passage a certain way because I don't want to accept it otherwise?

Quote:
Maybe God shows different people different things in the same quote. Isn't that a possibility? And don't we all have to admit that we don't really have any of the answers?
Yes, a thousand times yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity