Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 10:19 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Is that not what you posted? Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not seeking the truth. I already know what I believe.

How I feel about you is the same way I feel about everyone here....I want you to live!! I want you to have the opportunity to hear truth! Truth without additives and preservatives thrown in! You understand? You state: "
I'm interested in hearing how people feel and think. That truth interests me very much".

Maybe you're really not interested in hearing truth. Sorry, I can't lie to you.....
Betsey,

I'm pretty sure that what Dewdrop is not interested in is having you tell him what you think truth is and then insisting that if he doesn't see it your way that he is in DANGER of death and/or eternal hell. He is right to reject that message from you or anyone else who tells him such a thing. Why don't you tell him the truth, that God was IN CHRIST reconciling the WORLD to himself and that God loved/loves us WHILE WE ARE YET SINNERS! Perhaps you've just never understood that. Why don't you tell him that nothing shall be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ, not devils or angels, or famine or war or persecution or any other thing! It is just too bad you have not known these things to be able to share them with people. It's called the GOOD NEWS! The truth is that God is NOT IMPUTING SIN TO MAN. Why would you lie to people about that unless you have been fooled by Satan into doing his work?
Christ did not come to BIND people - he came to LOOSE them! Believe it or continue in your zealous religious error.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 10:42 AM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Betsey,

I'm pretty sure that what Dewdrop is not interested in is having you tell him what you think truth is and then insisting that if he doesn't see it your way that he is in DANGER of death and/or eternal hell. He is right to reject that message from you or anyone else who tells him such a thing. Why don't you tell him the truth, that God was IN CHRIST reconciling the WORLD to himself and that God loved/loves us WHILE WE ARE YET SINNERS! Perhaps you've just never understood that. Why don't you tell him that nothing shall be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ, not devils or angels, or famine or war or persecution or any other thing! It is just too bad you have not known these things to be able to share them with people. It's called the GOOD NEWS! The truth is that God is NOT IMPUTING SIN TO MAN. Why would you lie to people about that unless you have been fooled by Satan into doing his work?
Christ did not come to BIND people - he came to LOOSE them! Believe it or continue in your zealous religious error.
I'm pretty sure Dewdrop can speak for himself. By the way...what I have already gathered from the conversation is: He's MOST interested in hearing "truth" according to you! Carry on...

Old 07-02-2010, 10:47 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure Dewdrop can speak for himself. By the way...what I have already gathered from the conversation is: He's MOST interested in hearing "truth" according to you! Carry on...
Funny that God can't though... he needs people like you to tell us all about him.. right?

Old 07-02-2010, 10:52 AM

1,897 posts, read 2,112,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
If you are truly looking for answers you will not find them here, you must get alone with God, talk to Him and ask him to reveal the truth to you. If you are truly seeking His truth, you will find it, but not listening to people on City Data.

6,387 posts, read 6,368,929 times
Whoa! I saw this statement earlier, and I've heard it so many times before:
"God doesn’t force us into a relationship with Him."

If the Lord God CREATED YOU, I'd say that's pretty much like being "forced" into a relationship!

Where are these half-truths coming from??????

Peace,
brian

2,031 posts, read 3,225,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
June doesn't wish to contradict you, CantWait2Leave, but in her mind, reality doesn't bare out what you are saying, above. If such a notion as "truth" was truly objective, one wouldn't see as many world religions as we do. Furthermore, one wouldn't see as many different denominations within the overall belief system of Christianity. --No doubt each denomination claims that they have "the corner on the truth" such that for anyone looking into Christianity, there would appear to, in fact be, many versions of subjectivity/subjective truth. (The only departure from that being that one accepts the fact that Jesus was, in fact God.) But even on this forum, June reads a lot of posts in which "objective truths" are claimed, but they are all posted by members of varying, different denominations.

Thus, she clearly questions (starting on a purely philosophically based, ontological level) the nature of, or the existence of "objective truth."
As a Christian, I believe many are deceived by Satan which is why there are so many different religions. Clearly we all can't be right because we contradict each other.

If one truly wants to find the truth, God will show them it. God promises this. The Word of God is the standard of truth and the Holy Spirit teaches us through His Word. Many people claim to be led by the Holy Spirit, but if they are being taught something contrary to scripture, they are not being led by the Him. The Holy Spirit will not contradict scripture.

Different denominations are formed for many reasons. Not all of them are bad. Some churches worship in a different style than others. This doesn't mean that one is more correct than the other. The doctrines are still the same. The problem with different denominations is when they are used by man out of self-interest. There are denominations today that are in a state of self-destruction as they are being led into apostasy by those who promote their personal agendas.

Regarding a personal relationship with God, someone may feel that God is telling them that they should get up at 5 am to pray and read their Bible and others don't feel that same calling. That's perfectly fine UNTIL that same person getting up at 5 am to pray/read tells everyone else that God wants all of us to get up at 5 am to pray/read. If the Bible is silent on a subject than we have no right to tell others to do as we feel the Lord is telling us to do. I don't doubt that God tells people to do specific things or not do specific things because it's best for THAT person, but it will not be contrary to His Word because that is the standard of truth.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
You did not answer my questions about why you are withholding those truths about God being in Christ reconciling the World unto himself and not imputing sin unto man, Betsey. Why did you ignore those things?

Old 07-02-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Whoa! I saw this statement earlier, and I've heard it so many times before:
"God doesn’t force us into a relationship with Him."

If the Lord God CREATED YOU, I'd say that's pretty much like being "forced" into a relationship!

Where are these half-truths coming from??????

Peace,
brian
Yes, we had no choice about being born into this evil world. God is righteous to send a Savior! If only people would stop spreading the lie that God has not provided a Savior - so many people could be healed of so much. But Satan with his chains of fear binds men still and steals their joy and peace as well as their ability to give others hope. That devil is one bad dude!

Old 07-02-2010, 11:03 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,225,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Yes, we had no choice about being born into this evil world. God is righteous to send a Savior! If only people would stop spreading the lie that God has not provided a Savior - so many people could be healed of so much. But Satan with his chains of fear binds men still and steals their joy and peace as well as their ability to give others hope. That devil is one bad dude!
Who ever said that God has not provided a Savior?

Old 07-02-2010, 11:04 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
June doesn't wish to contradict you, CantWait2Leave, but in her mind, reality doesn't bare out what you are saying, above. If such a notion as "truth" was truly objective, one wouldn't see as many world religions as we do. Furthermore, one wouldn't see as many different denominations within the overall belief system of Christianity. --No doubt each denomination claims that they have "the corner on the truth" such that for anyone looking into Christianity, there would appear to, in fact be, many versions of subjectivity/subjective truth. (The only departure from that being that one accepts the fact that Jesus was, in fact God.) But even on this forum, June reads a lot of posts in which "objective truths" are claimed, but they are all posted by members of varying, different denominations.

Thus, she clearly questions (starting on a purely philosophically based, ontological level) the nature of, or the existence of "objective truth."

--But evidently, he does. We read it on here all the time. One person believes that God told him/her one thing, all the while others may disagree. Who is to say who is right, who is wrong, or for that matter, to even question it. It would seem to June that if someone is saying "God told me..." in prayer or circumstantially/situationally in life, then it is somewhat dificult to discredit that...(Unless one is talking religiously-based psychosis, which is a whole other thing, altogether.)

--But Coon Girl, what if everyone thinks they are? That's the nature of the whole problem here: Everyone who is a believer/Christian no doubt believes that they are, in fact, "in tune with" and listening to the Holy Spirit. Heck, June remembers a time when something ridiculously coincidental happened with some geese, and it somehow popped into her head that "If that Holy Spirit is a real entity, then this must be what they all mean!" Now granted, June immediately dismissed that thought, but ya see where June is going with this? (And who wouldn't be inclined to dismiss such an experience, right?

Or....

Interesting.

Just because someone is not a believer; just because someone does not accept the tenets of Christiantiy; just because someone isn't born again and baptized; just because someone doesn't self-identify as a believing Christian does not --I repeat, does not -- mean that that's indicative of not caring about 'the truth.'

Clearly, the difficulty (in part) would seem to lie in what one's definition of "truth" is, and the even greater difficulty/challenge being how to devise a way to bridge the gap and vast divide between all peoples who believe themselves in possession of the "truth" as they have come to know it.

Take gentle care.
The above are points that "religious" folk of any religion just simply choose to ignore. Religious belief and the "Truth" found is not as cut and dried like so many purport to preach. Different denominations/sects/religions come to different conclusions about what exactly "Truth" is. Different denominations/sects/religions all come to these different conclusions of what "Truth" is while using the exact same holy books of their respective religions...why do you suppose that is, especially when most claim they are hearing directly from god/holy spirit/allah, etc?

It is clear to me that NO ONE has the market on exactly what the "TRUTH" is regarding religious matters and anyone who claims they do are simply deluding themselves...for the evidence against that claim is all around us. Therefore, it is inappropriate for ANYONE to claim that they have the absolute and perfect "TRUTH" regarding religious matters...everyone should be honest with themselves and state that the "Truth" is what one accepts as "Truth" (and this can be based on many factors) and not necessarily the "Absolute Truth".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity