Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 11:07 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,017,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Who ever said that God has not provided a Savior?
Lots of people say that here on a regular basis. They claim that Jesus is only THEIR savior and those who believe exactly as they do. They tell people that Jesus is only saving a few - that most he is sending to hell. We're already in hell. Jesus descended into hell to preach to those who were held captive by Satan (spirits in prison). But there are tons of professing Christians that claim to have the keys of death and hell and intend to keep others locked up in hell. But it is just the roaring lion (Satan) talking through them. The bible says that Satan goes about as a ROARING LION seeking whom he may devour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 11:08 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,527,269 times
Quote:
I don't doubt that God tells people to do specific things or not do specific things because it's best for THAT person, but it will not be contrary to His Word because that is the standard of truth.
So who is the judge on those standards of truth? YOU? Christians? Catholics?

Who?

Old 07-02-2010, 11:09 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,211,332 times
Quote:
As a Christian, I believe many are deceived by Satan which is why there are so many different religions. Clearly we all can't be right because we contradict each other.

If one truly wants to find the truth, God will show them it. God promises this. The Word of God is the standard of truth and the Holy Spirit teaches us through His Word. Many people claim to be led by the Holy Spirit, but if they are being taught something contrary to scripture, they are not being led by the Him. The Holy Spirit will not contradict scripture.

Different denominations are formed for many reasons. Not all of them are bad. Some churches worship in a different style than others. This doesn't mean that one is more correct than the other. The doctrines are still the same. The problem with different denominations is when they are used by man out of self-interest. There are denominations today that are in a state of self-destruction as they are being led into apostasy by those who promote their personal agendas.

Regarding a personal relationship with God, someone may feel that God is telling them that they should get up at 5 am to pray and read their Bible and others don't feel that same calling. That's perfectly fine UNTIL that same person getting up at 5 am to pray/read tells everyone else that God wants all of us to get up at 5 am to pray/read. If the Bible is silent on a subject than we have no right to tell others to do as we feel the Lord is telling us to do. I don't doubt that God tells people to do specific things or not do specific things because it's best for THAT person, but it will not be contrary to His Word because that is the standard of truth.
With all due respect for your personal beliefs...the only difference between a Christian believer and a Muslim believer is GEOGRAPHY. Had you grown up in a Muslim country...you'd be a Muslim reading the Quran. There are different religions/sects/denominations because NO ONE really KNOWS WHAT THE ABSOLUTE TRUTH IS!!!!

Old 07-02-2010, 11:16 AM

28,092 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Hi Everyone! It's the heathen, Dewdrop again. Sorry to bother you all - but I was just wondering...
There is so much talk about who is right, who is wrong, this passage means this, no it means this, etc. I guess I always thought that, as a Christian, your personal relationship with God and/or Jesus was the most important thing. Maybe God speaks to everyone in different ways. Maybe God wants different things from different people. Wouldn't that make sense? I guess I just find it hard to believe one person's interpretation over another person's interpretation - they are all interpretations. Everyone uses quotes from the Bible to prove that they are, in fact, the right one. However, someone else is using that same quote to prove the opposite. Maybe God shows different people different things in the same quote. Isn't that a possibility? And don't we all have to admit that we don't really have any of the answers? I mean - as Christians - don't you believe that everything is up to God?
So - shouldn't there be less "I am right" and "You are not a REAL Christian" and more "Interesting - that is your relationship with God? That's great! Mine is like this..."
Just some things I've been mulling over...
I think you make some very valid points. Spiritual experiences, which are the means by which we get to know God, are intensely personal. It's utter nonsense for anyone (Christian or not) to attempt to say that someone else's spritual experiences are less valid than theirs or just plain flat out wrong. For instance, if I read the scriptures, ponder on what I've read, and ask God in prayer how He wants me to understand them and apply them in my life, sincerely believing that He will answer my prayers, I believe He will speak to me through the power of the Holy Ghost. When that happens, it is so totally inappropriate for anyone else to tell me that the answers I get are wrong, that I'm listening to the devil, that I'm misguided, etc. I believe all of us -- Christian and non-Christian alike -- are doing the best we can with what we've got. We want to make the right choices and live our lives in such a way that we can die in peace at the end. What right does anyone have to condemn anyone else? I just don't see it.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I think you make some very valid points. Spiritual experiences, which are the means by which we get to know God, are intensely personal. It's utter nonsense for anyone (Christian or not) to attempt to say that someone else's spritual experiences are less valid than theirs or just plain flat out wrong. For instance, if I read the scriptures, ponder on what I've read, and ask God in prayer how He wants me to understand them and apply them in my life, sincerely believing that He will answer my prayers, I believe He will speak to me through the power of the Holy Ghost. When that happens, it is so totally inappropriate for anyone else to tell me that the answers I get are wrong, that I'm listening to the devil, that I'm misguided, etc. I believe all of us -- Christian and non-Christian alike -- are doing the best we can with what we've got. We want to make the right choices and live our lives in such a way that we can die in peace at the end. What right does anyone have to condemn anyone else? I just don't see it.
FINALLY......some rational and logical thought......excellent post!!!

Old 07-02-2010, 11:21 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,527,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
With all due respect for your personal beliefs...the only difference between a Christian believer and a Muslim believer is GEOGRAPHY. Had you grown up in a Muslim country...you'd be a Muslim reading the Quran. There are different religions/sects/denominations because NO ONE really KNOWS WHAT THE ABSOLUTE TRUTH IS!!!!
I do... The absolute truth is that RELIGION is simply the outward act or form by which men indicate their recognition of the existence of a god or of gods having power over their destiny, to whom obedience, service, and honor are due;(Bible Dictionary: Religion)

Religion is MAN'S version of a supernatural reality and has no bearing on actual reality... or absolute truth

Old 07-02-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I do... The absolute truth is that RELIGION is simply the outward act or form by which men indicate their recognition of the existence of a god or of gods having power over their destiny, to whom obedience, service, and honor are due;(Bible Dictionary: Religion)

Religion is MAN'S version of a supernatural reality and has no bearing on actual reality... or absolute truth
EXACTLY!!! Why is it that people don't understand this I wonder????

And why is it that man thinks his version is better than anyone else's version I wonder????

Old 07-02-2010, 11:36 AM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
You did not answer my questions about why you are withholding those truths about God being in Christ reconciling the World unto himself and not imputing sin unto man, Betsey. Why did you ignore those things?
Because I'm PRETTY SURE, you will....haven't we been down this road plenty of times? Platform's yours..... http://bestsmileys.com/bowing/1.gif (broken link) !!!

Old 07-02-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Because I'm PRETTY SURE, you will....haven't we been down this road plenty of times? Platform's yours..... !!!
Thanks Betsey...you just PROVED MY POINT completely!!!

Old 07-02-2010, 11:50 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Because I'm PRETTY SURE, you will....haven't we been down this road plenty of times? Platform's yours..... !!!
...girrrllll!!!!....do you hear me...!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity