U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 10:37 AM

8,435 posts, read 8,671,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by howgreatthouart View Post
i had the same question about the name.. i had a few people tell me that i was worshipping the devil because i called him jesus( a pagan name) and not yeshua ( the original name) this was a while ago and it really confused me so i prayed about it .. i jsut sat silently and asked god what he wanted me to call him in order to please him.. not to long after.. he said to me.. (or within me-rather) i would know his name when i was one with him.. i know this may not make sense to many.. and it may be kinda off the topic.. but i guess it made things very clear to me..

God is not a name.. he is not a form .he is eternal..formless. and so many problems arise as we begin to try to put a form or name to him we try to make him into a comodity of the world.. which he is not. he is soo much greater
When it comes to God I would agree... Allah, the Great One, The almighty, Dios... all refer to God quite clearly... but Jesus was a man with a birth name... so in that respect it is different isn't it?

I don't think it matters too much in the grand scheme of things but still.... it would be nice to know what Mary and Joseph called him at birth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Good grief...is it always about UR to you people?
You can't let a thread alone can you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Satan will not stop trying to upset the apple cart...
I doubt that was the purpose of the post.... and calling the poster Satan is quite rude... IMO.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:19 AM

5,302 posts, read 5,434,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I doubt that was the purpose of the post.... and calling the poster Satan is quite rude... IMO.
Here's an excerpt from the post:

Quote:
The point of the thread was that none of God's names portray Him as having the character of one who would set people of fire and leave them burning for eternity
And in regards to your previous post on calling my God Allah, you are out of line...on a thread like this one, you are better suited for the Religion and Philosophy board. This is a Christian forum, if you remember. These things should be dealt with by the mods.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:28 AM

7,099 posts, read 24,497,923 times
Quote:
When it comes to God I would agree... Allah, the Great One, The almighty, Dios... all refer to God quite clearly... but Jesus was a man with a birth name... so in that respect it is different isn't it?

I don't think it matters too much in the grand scheme of things but still.... it would be nice to know what Mary and Joseph called him at birth.
Do we know what Mary and Joseph were really called? They weren't English either. Would their names be in Hebrew?

Old 07-03-2010, 03:37 PM

27,963 posts, read 15,053,894 times
Quote:
But when I go to Mexico should they call me Katrina? (kinda not a good name since the hurricane...LOL) or my real name? Should your name be changed simply because of where you are? Now if I had been born in Mexico then maybe my parents would have named me Katrina and then that would be fine... but when a guy comes to me with the last name Nguyen, for example... I don't read it phonetically.. I try to say it the way it is said in their culture out of respect.

I do agree with you that God's name is unknown really but Jesus was born and called a name from birth like any other human... So what is his real name? Yeshua is closest IMO...

BTW- a typo in your post made me laugh... I won't point it out though... you'll have to find it..
I saw it...lol...that is what happens when typing fast and not properly editing...

Old 07-03-2010, 04:24 PM

5,499 posts, read 4,573,974 times
Default I am

I pay close attention to how God introduces himself in a book or passage...simply because...the name he uses at the time...has something to do with what his covenant is about...

After he introduced himself to Abraham as El Shaddai, he talks about Abraham descendants (genealogy, Rev. 7)...yet, with Moses...YHWH (key, Rev 21?) "Promise Land" is the covenant. However, when Moses asked what to say when his people ask who sent him...the answer was, "Tell them, 'I AM' sent you".

Something to ponder upon...

Old 07-03-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Here's an excerpt from the post:

And in regards to your previous post on calling my God Allah, you are out of line...on a thread like this one, you are better suited for the Religion and Philosophy board. This is a Christian forum, if you remember. These things should be dealt with by the mods.
But you don't have a problem with Dios? Allah MEANS GOD... DIOS MEANS GOD...

Just because you have some prejudice against Muslims doesn't make ALLAH not translate to GOD in english!

Do you have a problem with any of these:
AEolian.....................Ilos
Arabic....................Allah

Armorian.................Teuti
Assyrian.................. Eleah
Celtic......................Diu
Chaldaic............. Eilah
Cretan...................Thios
Chinese..................Prussa
Coromandel..............Brama
Danish.....................Gut
Dutch.....................Godt
Egyptian (old).............Teut
Egyptian (modern).........Teun
English....................God
Finch...................Jumala
Flemish...................Goed
French.....................Dieu
German....................Gott
German (old)...............Diet
Greek...................Theos
Gallic.......................Diu
Hebrew...........Elohim, Eloha
Hindoostanee..............Rain
Japanese................Goezur
Irish........................Dia
Italian......................Dio
Madagascar..... .......Zannar
Malay.....................Alla
Norwegian.................Gud
Latin.....................Deus
Low Latin.................Diex
Low Breton................Done
Lapp ...................Jubinal
Olalu Tongue..............Deu
Old Saxon..................God
Peruvian..........Puchecammae
Persian....................Sire
Pannonian..................Istu
Polish.....................Bog
Pollacca.................Bung
Portuguese................Debs
Provencal.................Diou
Runic... ...................As
Russian...................Bojh
Spanish...................Dios
Swedish...................Gut
Slav....................Buch
Swiss......................Gott
Syriac....................Allah
Tartar................Magatal
Turkish..................Allah
Zemblain................Fetizo

I personally have a problem with Bung LOL

So if you have no problem with Bog, Gott, Sire, Istu, Dios, etc... then it is a racial bias that you have toward the use of ALLAH and not really anything to do with my post. RIGHT?

Are racial biases allowed in this forum?

Also.. didn't Jesus speak Aramaic which is closer to modern day Arabic? So did Jesus refer to God as Allah or close to it? hmmmmmmmmmm

Old 07-03-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I saw it...lol...that is what happens when typing fast and not properly editing...
Hey... it was worth the chuckle to me! Keep on typing! a sense of humor is a wonderful thing... I try not to waste it!

Old 07-03-2010, 09:16 PM

5,302 posts, read 5,434,540 times
Kat,

Allah is taken from M'allat - female goddess of Babylonia. Allah and Allat - two Assyrian gods, were married and had three daughters. This all took place around 700 BC. Muhammed worshipped many gods, he picked one and made it ruler, removed him/her (M'allat) from just being the moon god, and gave him all power for his faith. In Nabataea the goddess consorts of Dushara were Manat and Allat, both of whom turn up later in the Koran, Sura 53, which was briefly added by Muhammed.

Thus, we see the root in Allat was present in that area. To reinforce this, there are many other cuneiform engravings in North Arabia, in nearby Dhu-Ghabat to be exact, that many gods and goddess were engraved in these stones, including Allah, Allat, Manat, and Al-Uzza. Allat's name was used, very far back in the past from the events of Muhammed, alone and in combination with other local deities to form local hybrids, and was finally consummated for Islam, as Allah is the one who Muhammed chose to absorb them all and unite them against the Jews and Christians.

I have studied much Islam.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:26 PM

1,897 posts, read 1,771,226 times
Quote:
Good grief...is it always about UR to you people?
You can't let a thread alone can you?
You obviously have no answer for the point I posted, and can't explain why the bible tells us of so many names for God and NONE of them line up with the belief of eternal torture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity