Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 06:56 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,794,286 times

Advertisements

Jacques.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 07:11 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,437,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
All the variations mean the same thing, "Salvation".

The Book of Joshua: The title of this book is appropriately named after its central figure, Joshua. His original is Hoshea, "Salvation" (Num. 13:8); but Moses evidently changes it to Yehoshua, "YHWH" Is Salvation". This is the Hebrew equivalent of the Greek name Iesous (Jesus).

Abram's name was changed to Abraham by El Shaddai to mean Father of many nations instead of "father of a great nation".

Genesis 17:1-5 And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am The Almighty God (El Shaddai in Hebrew); walk before me, and be thou perfect.

2 And I will make a covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly.

3 And Abram fell on his face: and GOD talked with him, saying,

4 As for me, behold my covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations.

5 Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee.

I pray this shed some light to your inquiry...

Blessings...
Actually, Terah named him אברם/Abram,
-from אב
Quote:
1) father of an individual2) of God as father of his people
3) head or founder of a household, group, family, or clan
4) ancestor
a) grandfather, forefathers -- of person
b) of people
5) originator or patron of a class, profession, or art
6) of producer, generator (fig.)
7) of benevolence and protection (fig.)
8) term of respect and honour
9) ruler or chief (spec.)
and רום/ruwm
Quote:
1) to rise, rise up, be high, be lofty, be exalted a) (Qal)
1) to be high, be set on high
2) to be raised, be uplifted, be exalted
3) to be lifted, rise
because
Quote:
Jasher 7: 51Terah was seventy years old when he begat him, and Terah called the name of his son that was born to him Abram, because the king had raised him in those days, and dignified him above all his princes that were with him.
אבר-ה-ם
And God inserted the "Breath" of the promise of the Spirit, the new "Life" חי, in the adoption into the Living Spirit, which was to come.
chay/ חי
alive, living
Gal 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed [is] every one that hangeth on a tree: Gal 3:14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:25 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,437,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
I happen to think that Christianity is WAAAYYYY too paganized, and "Jesus," especially when said in Spanish (hay-soos) sounds like Zeus, the supreme ruler of the Olympians in Greek mythology
Zeus is a form of "life" ζωή zōē "Life", and Jesus indeed is the way, the Truth and the ζωή zōē.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:29 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,172,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
Zeus is a form of "life" ζωή zōē "Life", and Jesus indeed is the way, the Truth and the ζωή zōē.

I understand that, but that is beside the point.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:29 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,102,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
He has many names.

Advocate (1 John 2:1)
Almighty (Rev. 1:8; Mt. 28:18)
Alpha and Omega (Rev. 1:8; 22:13)
Amen (Rev. 3:14)
Apostle of our Profession (Heb. 3:1)
Atoning Sacrifice for our Sins (1 John 2:2)
Author of Life (Acts 3:15)
Author and Perfecter of our Faith (Heb. 12:2)
Author of Salvation (Heb. 2:10)
Beginning and End (Rev. 22:13)
Blessed and only Ruler (1 Tim. 6:15)
Bread of God (John 6:33)
Bread of Life (John 6:35; 6:48)
Bridegroom (Mt. 9:15)
Capstone (Acts 4:11; 1 Pet. 2:7)
Chief Cornerstone (Eph. 2:20)
Chief Shepherd (1 Pet. 5:4)
Christ (1 John 2:22)
Creator (John 1:3)
Deliverer (Rom. 11:26)
Eternal Life (1 John 1:2; 5:20)
Faithful and True (Rev. 19:11)
Faithful Witness (Rev. 1:5)
Faithful and True Witness (Rev. 3:14)
First and Last (Rev. 1:17; 2:8; 22:13)
Firstborn From the Dead (Rev. 1:5)
Firstborn over all creation (Col. 1:15)
Gate (John 10:9)
God (John 1:1; 20:28; Heb. 1:8; Rom. 9:5; 2 Pet. 1:1;1 John 5:20; etc.)
Good Shepherd (John 10:11,14)
Great Shepherd (Heb. 13:20)
Great High Priest (Heb. 4:14)
Head of the Church (Eph. 1:22; 4:15; 5:23)
Heir of all things (Heb. 1:2)
High Priest (Heb. 2:17)
Holy and True (Rev. 3:7)
Holy One (Acts 3:14)
Hope (1 Tim. 1:1)
Hope of Glory (Col. 1:27)
Horn of Salvation (Luke 1:69)
I Am (John 8:58)
Image of God (2 Cor. 4:4)
Immanuel (Mt. 1:23)
Judge of the living and the dead (Acts 10:42)
King Eternal (1 Tim. 1:17)
King of Israel (John 1:49)
King of the Jews (Mt. 27:11)
King of kings (1 Tim 6:15; Rev. 19:16)
King of the Ages (Rev. 15:3)
Lamb (Rev. 13:8)
Lamb of God (John 1:29)
Lamb Without Blemish (1 Pet. 1:19)
Last Adam (1 Cor. 15:45)
Life (John 14:6; Col. 3:4)
Light of the World (John 8:12)
Lion of the Tribe of Judah (Rev. 5:5)
Living One (Rev. 1:18)
Living Stone (1 Pet. 2:4)
Lord (2 Pet. 2:20)
Lord of All (Acts 10:36)
Lord of Glory (1 Cor. 2:8)
Lord of lords (Rev. 19:16)
Man from Heaven (1 Cor. 15:48)
Master (Lk. 5:5; 8:24; 9:33)
Mediator of the New Covenant (Heb. 9:15)
Mighty God (Isa. 9:6)
Morning Star (Rev. 22:16)
Offspring of David (Rev. 22:16)
Only Begotten Son of God (John 1:18; 1 John 4:9)
Our Great God and Savior (Titus 2:13)
Our Holiness (1 Cor. 1:30)
Our Husband (2 Cor. 11:2)
Our Protection (2 Thess. 3:3)
Our Redemption (1 Cor. 1:30)
Our Righteousness (1 Cor. 1:30)
Our Sacrificed Passover Lamb (1 Cor. 5:7)
Power of God (1 Cor. 1:24)
Precious Cornerstone (1 Pet. 2:6)
Prophet (Acts 3:22)
Rabbi (Mt. 26:25)
Resurrection and Life (John 11:25)
Righteous Branch (Jer. 23:5)
Righteous One (Acts 7:52; 1 John 2:1)
Rock (1 Cor. 10:4)
Root of David (Rev. 5:5; 22:16)
Ruler of God’s Creation (Rev. 3:14)
Ruler of the Kings of the Earth (Rev. 1:5)
Savior (Eph. 5:23; Titus 1:4; 3:6; 2 Pet. 2:20)
Son of David (Lk. 18:39)
Son of God (John 1:49; Heb. 4:14)
Son of Man (Mt. 8:20)
Son of the Most High God (Lk. 1:32)
Source of Eternal Salvation for all who obey him (Heb. 5:9)
The One Mediator (1 Tim. 2:5)
The Stone the builders rejected (Acts 4:11)
True Bread (John 6:32)
True Light (John 1:9)
True Vine (John 15:1)
Truth (John 1:14; 14:6)
Way (John 14:6)
Wisdom of God (1 Cor. 1:24)
Word (John 1:1)
Word of God (Rev. 19:13)
I like the post, too. I started a thread about the names of God a while back, and didn't get much feedback. Here's the link
http://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...character.html. The point of the thread was that none of God's names portray Him as having the character of one who would set people of fire and leave them burning for eternity. It's really something to think about if you believe He will.

P.S. I didn't know when I did that thread that you weren't supposed to bump your own thread! Oops!

Old 07-03-2010, 02:00 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,405,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
I like the post, too. I started a thread about the names of God a while back, and didn't get much feedback. Here's the link
http://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...character.html. The point of the thread was that none of God's names portray Him as having the character of one who would set people of fire and leave them burning for eternity. It's really something to think about if you believe He will.

P.S. I didn't know when I did that thread that you weren't supposed to bump your own thread! Oops!
Good grief...is it always about UR to you people?
You can't let a thread alone can you?

Old 07-03-2010, 06:23 AM

32,530 posts, read 21,861,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Is the Lord's name really Jesus? Or Yeshua? Or Yehushia? Perhaps Isious, Isus, or Iesus? How about Jesu, or Yehoshua? How is it that we Christians claim to know Him, but can't agree on what His name really is? There are many variants, and much controversey:

How Did the Name Jesus Originate?

Yeshua, the real name of Jesus

Meaning of the name JESUS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_(name)

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: The Name of Jesus Christ

Yahushua is the true name of the Messiah

Should you pray to God the Father, in Jesus name, or some other (the real) name? Should you get baptized in Jesus' name, or some other (the real) name? Does God care which name we use? Or does He just kind of shrug His shoulders and go "well...they're using the wrong name, but it's the thought that counts..." ???

It's just that if I'm introduced to someone, and his name is (for example) "George", then I don't call him the Spanish version "Jorge" (hor-hay). Or if someone's name is "Irene", I don't call them the Russian version "Irina", etc, etc. I call them exactly the name and pronunciation THEY use...

I'm not saying that Jesus is not our Lord's real name, and that some other name is the real one, because I simply don't know...I have not sat down to have a good hard look at this topic yet. Can any of you shed some light on this?

Thanks,
Bud
it is mereley translations into other languages...and it is the wrong thing to be concerned about...a greek would call Him by the greek translation, a messianic Jew would call Him by their translation. etc....Jesus is the enlish translation of the greek while the greek is a translation of the hebrew...God's name is not Yahwheh or Jehovah or even Lord, these were inserted when the hebrews would read the scrolls because they refused to invoke the real name of God because formerly it had been abused (taken in vain) and the hebrews were punished for that abuse, so they did not want tit to happen again so when they came to God's real name in the reading of the scrolls, they would verbally insert a pseudonym, because to invoke God's real Name was to invoke power...so, the true pronunciation of God's real name has been lost of time as the hebrew language has changed in orthography....

Old 07-03-2010, 06:25 AM

32,530 posts, read 21,861,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Good grief...is it always about UR to you people?
You can't let a thread alone can you?
Satan will not stop trying to upset the apple cart...

Old 07-03-2010, 08:26 AM

139 posts, read 221,920 times
i had the same question about the name.. i had a few people tell me that i was worshipping the devil because i called him jesus( a pagan name) and not yeshua ( the original name) this was a while ago and it really confused me so i prayed about it .. i jsut sat silently and asked god what he wanted me to call him in order to please him.. not to long after.. he said to me.. (or within me-rather) i would know his name when i was one with him.. i know this may not make sense to many.. and it may be kinda off the topic.. but i guess it made things very clear to me..

God is not a name.. he is not a form .he is eternal..formless. and so many problems arise as we begin to try to put a form or name to him we try to make him into a comodity of the world.. which he is not. he is soo much greater

blessings to all.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:30 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,475,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
it is mereley translations into other languages...and it is the wrong thing to be concerned about...a greek would call Him by the greek translation, a messianic Jew would call Him by their translation. etc....Jesus is the enlish translation of the greek while the greek is a translation of the hebrew...God's name is not Yahwheh or Jehovah or even Lord, these were inserted when the hebrews would read the scrolls because they refused to invoke the real name of God because formerly it had been abused (taken in vain) and the hebrews were punished for that abuse, so they did not want tit to happen again so when they came to God's real name in the reading of the scrolls, they would verbally insert a pseudonym, because to invoke God's real Name was to invoke power...so, the true pronunciation of God's real name has been lost of time as the hebrew language has changed in orthography....
But when I go to Mexico should they call me Katrina? (kinda not a good name since the hurricane...LOL) or my real name? Should your name be changed simply because of where you are? Now if I had been born in Mexico then maybe my parents would have named me Katrina and then that would be fine... but when a guy comes to me with the last name Nguyen, for example... I don't read it phonetically.. I try to say it the way it is said in their culture out of respect.

I do agree with you that God's name is unknown really but Jesus was born and called a name from birth like any other human... So what is his real name? Yeshua is closest IMO...

BTW- a typo in your post made me laugh... I won't point it out though... you'll have to find it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity