Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 08:38 PM

5,027 posts, read 7,409,636 times

Advertisements

My opinion: there is no "right" religion, God speaks to everyone wherever they are, whatever religion they follow, if they have the ear to hear. Most of us were raised in a certain religion, just as we were taught certain cultural values, to speak a certain language, to appreciate certain kinds of music and art. The terms "right" and "wrong" don't apply when we're talking about cultural differences and religious preferences. It has to do with what rings true in your heart. Or it can simply be a matter of taste, or even convenience, in the case of marriage.

I was raised in a certain Christian denomination, have studied world religions, have been dismayed at the literalistic interpretations of certain sects. I see the individual religions as separate but intricately related spiritual languages people use to understand and speak about matters of the spirit and of God. I chose to return to my childhood religion after a while (albeit loosely at this point), yet my siblings chose different paths. Staying in the religion one was raised in is as much of a choice as choosing a different one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 09:20 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
My opinion: there is no "right" religion, God speaks to everyone wherever they are, whatever religion they follow, if they have the ear to hear.
Does it follow, then, that there is no "wrong" religion?

Old 07-06-2010, 09:51 PM

593 posts, read 890,197 times
Default How do you know which religion is the right one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
We Catholics have it right.

(no priest comments please)
Evangelicals have attempted over the past few years to firstly isolate religion into a category of works by man in an attempt to reach God
believing they have a personal relationship,intense bible studying and eliminating the doctrines associated with Catholicism,Luthernism ,Latter
Day Saints,Witnesses. There are some links to Methodist,Pentecostals, Assemblies and Apostolics and Baptists to mention a few. In fairness
most of the christian titled churches believe that the word of God was written by "inspired men" (Holy Spirit driven transcriptionists if you will).
Evangelicals and non Catholics don't believe in the Eucharist being the actual body and blood (do this in "remberence of me ...not sacrifice me again and again). Pentecostals and Apostolics believe in Acts 2:38 is the only way to baptize whereas Evangelicals and many religions baptize
in the triune formula adapted by Nicea in 325ad and dumping the Jesus Name baptism taught to the disciples. The bible has one and only one interpretation and has no errors yet your right man has screwed up a few things and that leaves us to search for the truth.
In Christ Das

Old 07-07-2010, 04:45 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Here is my "religion" and if EVERYONE followed it, the world would be a far better place.

Do NOT do to others what you do not want done to you .

Simple! No church, holybook, pastor, Shaman, priest, temple, sacrifices, rituals, promises of la la land or fear of eternal torment needed.

Do it in your own life and pass on the message.
I also forgot...no gods.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:48 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It doesn't work so well with the masochists, perverts, and myriad disturbed individuals in our societies.
Even many of the disturbed ones still want things done right by them and I would venture to say, such folks are the very rare ones in society. I may be wrong, however, but I really hope I am right.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:21 AM

1,220 posts, read 987,054 times
Default The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Here is my "religion" and if EVERYONE followed it, the world would be a far better place.

Do NOT do to others what you do not want done to you .

Simple! No church, holybook, pastor, Shaman, priest, temple, sacrifices, rituals, promises of la la land or fear of eternal torment needed.

Do it in your own life and pass on the message.
Some people are willing...you're just waiting. There was a certain man whose brothers wanted to start a family business...the uncertainty of the prospect made the man fall back on his security back in Egypt, and he told his brothers saying, "If you can prove to me that this venture will succeed, then when the business is going strong, I will gladly come aboard." But the man's brothers saw through his neutrality with money, and realized that he could not be trusted. The Blessings of The Eternal bring you joy...

Old 07-08-2010, 09:32 AM

4,309 posts, read 6,439,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
In order to follow God and Jesus according to what the bible teaches, I must not break certain laws and commandments in order to be saved. These denominations do not all follow what's written in the bible, sometimes it depends on its interpretation of parts of the bible that leads some to one denomination.
Okay, so forget demoninations AND FOLLOW GOD!! For they all come with there own self-serving rules and regulations! I'm mean, you know how to read right? Well, you know the certain laws and commandments you just mentioned? Follow them!

Get together with other BIBLE BELIEVING, GOD-FEARING, brother's and sister's of THE FAITH...FAITH IN CHRIST JESUS and commune with them! Be it WHEREVER it is! My friend, demoninations, it's not what's going to save you, you understand?

PS: And no.....it's not misspelled.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:35 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,834,604 times
I didnt pick my religion God did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity