U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-04-2010, 01:35 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Wa
5,302 posts, read 5,433,198 times
Reputation: 420

Advertisements

Depends if they are protecting the flock and their set of rules. You might have brought something to the forum that doesn't fit in with their views. Contention is good for better understanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-04-2010, 06:05 AM
 
Location: right under the ceiling fan ;)
597 posts, read 1,127,957 times
Reputation: 561
Thank you SO MUCH to every one of you, you all have some REALLY VALID point, and I am glad that I came here to get your advice, it has made me feel a bit better.
Yeah I agree this world does seem to be getting colder. And about the road rage it is so sad and so out of control. I one day witnessed a man in a sedan get out of his car at a red light and start yelling at man in a simi-truck, then he got out, a lot cussin and a lot of yelling. So very sad
((HUGS)) to you all and a big thank you once again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2010, 06:12 AM
 
Location: In God's country
1,059 posts, read 2,417,605 times
Reputation: 608
Awhile back, there use to be a bunch of us on here, talking and discussing the Word and the Lord. I was looking for answers, and had questions, and it was great in the beginning because there are many that was here to actually help and answer if they could. After awhile, it was as if we were swormed by bees because the arguing came by alot of new, or fairly new people, between the arguing, ridiculing, name calling, hatred and all the above, many of us have left the forum. God does not call His followers to argue and be mean and hateful with anyone. I just started to check back once in awhile on here and i dont post that often in here.
Blessings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2010, 06:18 AM
 
Location: On a road heaven bound !
10,290 posts, read 8,260,824 times
Reputation: 17788
Matthew 24:11-13
11. Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many.
12. And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold.
13. But he who endures to the end shall be saved.

II Tim.3:1-17
1. But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come:
2. For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3. unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good,
4. traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God,
5. having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away!
6. For of this sort are those who creep into households and make captives of gullible women loaded down with sins, led away by various lusts,
7. always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
8. Now as Jannes and Jambres resisted Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, disapproved concerning the faith;
9. but they will progress no further, for their folly will be manifest to all, as theirs also was.
10. But you have carefully followed my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, love, perseverance,
11. persecutions, afflictions, which happened to me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra—what persecutions I endured. And out of them all the Lord delivered me.
12. Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution.
13. But evil men and impostors will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived.
14. But you must continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of, knowing from whom you have learned them,
15. and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
16. All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
17. that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.


Amen....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2010, 06:19 AM
 
1,468 posts, read 1,876,134 times
Reputation: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
Matthew 24:11-13
11. Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many.
12. And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold.
13. But he who endures to the end shall be saved.

II Tim.3:1-17
1. But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come:
2. For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3. unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good,
4. traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God,
5. having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away!
6. For of this sort are those who creep into households and make captives of gullible women loaded down with sins, led away by various lusts,
7. always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
8. Now as Jannes and Jambres resisted Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, disapproved concerning the faith;
9. but they will progress no further, for their folly will be manifest to all, as theirs also was.
10. But you have carefully followed my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, love, perseverance,
11. persecutions, afflictions, which happened to me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra—what persecutions I endured. And out of them all the Lord delivered me.
12. Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution.
13. But evil men and impostors will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived.
14. But you must continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of, knowing from whom you have learned them,
15. and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
16. All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
17. that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.


Amen....
Yes, we were warned about ALL of this. Dismiss these warnings at your peril! They are crucial for discerning much of what goes on at this forum!
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. 4They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. 5But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry. ~ 2 Timothy 4:3-5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2010, 08:51 AM
 
1,883 posts, read 2,557,280 times
Reputation: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Depends if they are protecting the flock and their set of rules. You might have brought something to the forum that doesn't fit in with their views. Contention is good for better understanding.

I fully expected this sort of response from at least one poster.So being mean spirited and attacking others is OK if they threaten your set of rules,rather than an intelligent and reasonable discourse on the subject.

This type of attitude among evangelicals is why I left evangelicalism for the Anglicans.Evangelicals are becoming almost scary in their collective meanness.And they think they are "defending the Lord" somehow,as if He needs defending.Or the Faith.What they fail to see is that they run off far more than they bring in.Normal people get tired of people with an obnoxious mean spirited faith that is condemning of everyone who believes slightly differently than theirs.And it seems especially rampant around here,although the internet does bring out the worst in people.I have slowed way down around here myself because of the spirit among conservatives around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2010, 08:59 AM
 
Location: New England
32,222 posts, read 21,097,983 times
Reputation: 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
I fully expected this sort of response from at least one poster.So being mean spirited and attacking others is OK if they threaten your set of rules,rather than an intelligent and reasonable discourse on the subject.

This type of attitude among evangelicals is why I left evangelicalism for the Anglicans.Evangelicals are becoming almost scary in their collective meanness.And they think they are "defending the Lord" somehow,as if He needs defending.Or the Faith.What they fail to see is that they run off far more than they bring in.Normal people get tired of people with an obnoxious mean spirited faith that is condemning of everyone who believes slightly differently than theirs.And it seems especially rampant around here,although the internet does bring out the worst in people.I have slowed way down around here myself because of the spirit among conservatives around here.
I like the bit where you said they think they are defending the Lord .

He needs no defending and the gates of hell stand no chance in defending what He is accomplishing .

Fundamental christianity wields it sword just like Peter did in the garden of gethsemene and all it ends up doing is hurting rather healing .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2010, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Out of Florida........
4,309 posts, read 5,581,800 times
Reputation: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
Matthew 24:11-13
11. Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many.
12. And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold.
13. But he who endures to the end shall be saved.

II Tim.3:1-17
1. But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come:
2. For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3. unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good,
4. traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God,
5. having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away!
6. For of this sort are those who creep into households and make captives of gullible women loaded down with sins, led away by various lusts,
7. always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
8. Now as Jannes and Jambres resisted Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, disapproved concerning the faith;
9. but they will progress no further, for their folly will be manifest to all, as theirs also was.
10. But you have carefully followed my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, love, perseverance,
11. persecutions, afflictions, which happened to me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra—what persecutions I endured. And out of them all the Lord delivered me.
12. Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution.
13. But evil men and impostors will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived.
14. But you must continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of, knowing from whom you have learned them,
15. and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
16. All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
17. that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.


Amen....


I third that!! Nobody wants to hear the truth anymore! The truth has gotten unpopular real fast!! I'm mean, isn't that what real God-loving, God-fearing Christians/Believer's do? Tell the truth to save your soul? We are truly living in the last days before we meet the King is it not? First comes the silencing, then prosecution. Lord gave us the strength to endure, for it gets much worse than this!! Have mercy on us all Lord....is my humble prayer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2010, 10:45 AM
 
1,963 posts, read 4,382,346 times
Reputation: 1441
8Palmtrees, I think it like you said, "so-called." I think that we live in a mean spirited world today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2010, 07:16 PM
 
1,883 posts, read 2,557,280 times
Reputation: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
I third that!! Nobody wants to hear the truth anymore! The truth has gotten unpopular real fast!! I'm mean, isn't that what real God-loving, God-fearing Christians/Believer's do? Tell the truth to save your soul? We are truly living in the last days before we meet the King is it not? First comes the silencing, then prosecution. Lord gave us the strength to endure, for it gets much worse than this!! Have mercy on us all Lord....is my humble prayer!

And here you have the typical copout excuse for the meanness.It's all because we are telling the truth.It's all because people want to be sinners.It's all because people can't stand sound doctrine.Anything at all to deflect from the fact that evangelical Christians have become a mean spirited people (en masse,and not necessarily each individual) who love to judge and condemn others.And such excuses absolve them of any self reflection about whether there might be some truth to it all.

Yep,Fred Phelps is just a misunderstood guy faithfully preaching the word of God's love that others can't stand to hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top