U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-06-2010, 05:36 AM
 
Location: New England
32,287 posts, read 21,136,395 times
Reputation: 2288

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
I will address the rest of you tomorrow.
Run for the Hills !!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-06-2010, 06:58 AM
 
1,883 posts, read 2,560,083 times
Reputation: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
I will let you look these up:

Believe in the LORD your God, so shall ye be established; believe his prophets, so shall ye prosper.

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

And he said unto them, These [are] the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and [in] the prophets, and [in] the psalms, concerning me.

And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.

To Him all the prophets witness that, through His name, whoever believes in Him will receive remission of sins.

Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

And last but definitely not least.....

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.

There is much, much more.

None of which say anything about having to believe the Bible literally to be a Christian.Classic Protestant prooftexting,btw.There MUST be much much more,because what you posted sure didn't include what I asked for.And I have read the Bible through many times.I know it doesn't include it,but was just wanting you to flounder around trying to twist something into meaning this.I accepted Christ in a Baptist church and was a member for 20 years until differences on a number of items,not the least of which was the contemporary services fad,and never heard anything of the sort from a group that is fanatical about the literal scriptures.

Lame attempt on your part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2010, 09:54 AM
 
1,897 posts, read 1,772,538 times
Reputation: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
None of which say anything about having to believe the Bible literally to be a Christian.Classic Protestant prooftexting,btw.There MUST be much much more,because what you posted sure didn't include what I asked for.And I have read the Bible through many times.I know it doesn't include it,but was just wanting you to flounder around trying to twist something into meaning this.I accepted Christ in a Baptist church and was a member for 20 years until differences on a number of items,not the least of which was the contemporary services fad,and never heard anything of the sort from a group that is fanatical about the literal scriptures.

Lame attempt on your part.
I think he has a pattern going. He addressed my question in the same manner in another thread, in which I answered, "It's really kind of funny how you posted all those verses and NONE of them said that God doesn't love everyone. NONE. Were you hoping people would not want to take time to read them and assume they said what you intended?"

See Post #159.

One "extra" reason why I believe in the reconciliation of all souls to God
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2010, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Wa
5,302 posts, read 5,438,367 times
Reputation: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post

Lame attempt on your part.

You feel that way because in my opinion, you don't have the Holy Spirit in you. You don't accept the Holy Scriptures as fully true. We are not talking about literal, symbolic, spiritual, etc, we are talking about accepting it in its entirety as the Word of God. Believing all of it.

And secondly, because you don't have the spirit in you, you don't accept or understand that believing in Christ, is to also believe in everything that was said about Him. And that is available in the Holy Scriptures, which is what you reject. Therefore, you are not, a Chrsitian IMO.

And thirdly, because you don't have the spirit in you, you are not able to see the simplicity of the verses I posted, in how they peratin to exactly what you demanded.

You have failed once again in your counter arguement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2010, 10:43 AM
 
1,897 posts, read 1,772,538 times
Reputation: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
You feel that way because in my opinion, you don't have the Holy Spirit in you. You don't ccept the Holy Scriptures as full true. We are not talking baout literal, symbolic, spiritual, etc, we are talking about accepting it in its entirety as the Word of God. Believing all of it.

And secondly, because you don't have the spirit in you, you don't accept or understand that believing in Christ, is to also believe in everything that was said about Him. And that is available in the Holy Scriptures, which is what you reject. Therefore, you are not, a Chrsitian IMO.

And thirdly, because you don't have the spirit in you, you are not able to see the simplicity of the verses I posted, in how they peratin to exactly what you demanded.

You have failed once again in your counter arguement.
Your opinion about who is a Christian is not important. I'm sure you don't care that another C-D poster's opinion is that you are a heretic for being a Calvinist. IMO, you and others resort to this tactic when you are pushed into a corner and can't defend your beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2010, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,678,690 times
Reputation: 1699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
Your opinion about who is a Christian is not important. I'm sure you don't care that another C-D poster's opinion is that you are a heretic for being a Calvinist. IMO, you and others resort to this tactic when you are pushed into a corner and can't defend your beliefs.
"An Ad Hominem is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person presenting the claim or argument. Typically, this fallacy involves two steps. First, an attack against the character of person making the claim, her circumstances, or her actions is made (or the character, circumstances, or actions of the person reporting the claim). Second, this attack is taken to be evidence against the claim or argument the person in question is making (or presenting). This type of "argument" has the following form:
  1. Person A makes claim X.
  2. Person B makes an attack on person A.
  3. Therefore A's claim is false.
The reason why an Ad Hominem (of any kind) is a fallacy is that the character, circumstances, or actions of a person do not (in most cases) have a bearing on the truth or falsity of the claim being made (or the quality of the argument being made)."


Fallacy: Ad Hominem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2010, 10:50 AM
 
1,897 posts, read 1,772,538 times
Reputation: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
"An Ad Hominem is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person presenting the claim or argument. Typically, this fallacy involves two steps. First, an attack against the character of person making the claim, her circumstances, or her actions is made (or the character, circumstances, or actions of the person reporting the claim). Second, this attack is taken to be evidence against the claim or argument the person in question is making (or presenting). This type of "argument" has the following form:
  1. Person A makes claim X.
  2. Person B makes an attack on person A.
  3. Therefore A's claim is false.
The reason why an Ad Hominem (of any kind) is a fallacy is that the character, circumstances, or actions of a person do not (in most cases) have a bearing on the truth or falsity of the claim being made (or the quality of the argument being made)."


Fallacy: Ad Hominem
It happens on here a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2010, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Wa
5,302 posts, read 5,438,367 times
Reputation: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thy Kingdom Come View Post
I didn't say anything about "all". Point was that God likened the waters of Noah covering the earth to His wrath against Israel which was for "a moment" so it is incorrect to use the waters of Noah to prove anything about the non salvation of whom they cover.
How can you say this?
If Noah and his famiy ark save in the TYPE Ark that later was fulfilled in Jesus Christ, in that the wicked were completey destroyed in the flood, it is clear and evident that the several references like:

Dan 9:26 and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof [shall be] with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.

Nah 1 But with an overrunning flood he will make an utter end of the place thereof, and darkness shall pursue his enemies. ...For while [they be] folden together [as] thorns, and while they are drunken [as] drunkards, they shall be devoured as stubble fully dry.

Matt 24:39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

Luke 17:27They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all.

2 Peter 2:5 And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth [person], a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly

There is plenty more, and do you think not for one minute the Jew thought......hmmmmmm they weren't all destroyed were they?

You are out of your mind. Spare me the spin doctor TKC, it doesn't work. The Bible implies many things all over the place, it takes a 3rd grader to figure this one out. The flood killed the wicked, forever, so too will be such when the Son of Man came/comes. In the NH and E, such is called the second death, where the body and soul are desroyed in everlasting destruction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2010, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Wa
5,302 posts, read 5,438,367 times
Reputation: 420
Until anyone of you can show the forum that in the scriptures it says:

The wicked dead are converted and purified as righteous you are all liars.

Otherwise the OP still stands, thw wicked's destination is eternal, second death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2010, 10:59 AM
 
1,883 posts, read 2,560,083 times
Reputation: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
You feel that way because in my opinion, you don't have the Holy Spirit in you. You don't accept the Holy Scriptures as fully true. We are not talking about literal, symbolic, spiritual, etc, we are talking about accepting it in its entirety as the Word of God. Believing all of it.

And secondly, because you don't have the spirit in you, you don't accept or understand that believing in Christ, is to also believe in everything that was said about Him. And that is available in the Holy Scriptures, which is what you reject. Therefore, you are not, a Chrsitian IMO.

And thirdly, because you don't have the spirit in you, you are not able to see the simplicity of the verses I posted, in how they peratin to exactly what you demanded.

You have failed once again in your counter arguement.

Fortunately for me and most of Christianity,your opinion about who is a Christian is of zero importance.Most of Christianity does not require a literal belief in Scripture.The RCC,the Orthodox,the Anglicans,none of these make a literal reading of Scripture to be a requirement of Christianity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top