Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2010, 06:59 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,943,309 times

Advertisements

Recent times show me how thankful I am that God sets the standard, not me or anyone else.

Passage 2 Samuel 14:14:

13 -14 "Why, then," the woman said, "have you done this very thing against God's people? In his verdict, the king convicts himself by not bringing home his exiled son. We all die sometime. Water spilled on the ground can't be gathered up again. But God does not take away life. He works out ways to get the exile back

This verse is the contrast between mans thinking of futility, and Gods ways. We are led to believe that at some point God leaves someone to rot in exile forever.

Thankfully, God is not like me.

I am thankful God is not like you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 07:15 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,172,148 times
The altogether otherness of Christ - this is the basis of Christianity; until we truly see that there is nothing in us (the flesh) that is good, we will bring His image down to our level, creating a false god.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:43 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,365,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Recent times show me how thankful I am that God sets the standard, not me or anyone else.

13 -14 "Why, then," the woman said, "have you done this very thing against God's people? In his verdict, the king convicts himself by not bringing home his exiled son. We all die sometime. Water spilled on the ground can't be gathered up again. But God does not take away life. He works out ways to get the exile back

This verse is the contrast between mans thinking of futility, and Gods ways. We are led to believe that at some point God leaves someone to rot in exile forever.

You have no idea how much I agree with you. How many years "stuck" seeing God as little more than an angry man.... It's as though our doctrines can't "encompass" how GRAND He is!
We all sometimes do Him a big disservice. And I am convinced that traditional Christianity is plagued by this tendency. Maybe too focused on "getting as many in as possible" before "it's too late?"

The Spirit is never rushed.

Blessings,
brian

Old 07-01-2010, 09:16 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,365,647 times
Just thinking a bit more on this truth..

Everyone would agree that His ways are "higher than our ways" and His thoughts "higher than our thoughts."

But then what happens? He becomes just like us!! We find it hard to believe that God could love "even Hitler." He wants to punish, because WE want to punish.

But why couldn't He just forgive everyone?? Because it's "not fair??" He's GOD!! Remember, He made everyone to be a sinner!

As men, we think that God judges the way we judge. Or loves the way we love. Or hates the way we hate.
And we get more convinced of this by citing verses such as "but we have the mind of Christ" to prove it.

I've known people who were absolutely convinced they had the mind of Christ as they condemned young women to hell for having an abortion.

Blessings,
brian

Old 07-01-2010, 09:21 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,055 times
Paul,

I'm thankful for you... Very thankful for you.
Here's a poem I thought you might enjoy...

J O U R N E Y

Together let us walk while there is light
and breath can still be drawn to fill our lips
with sacred words as we approach our flight
to the beyond – to join the ancient ships –
those vessels that endured the wrath and winds
that blow below the heavens. And let’s sing
for joy of recognition, like lost friends
who know a celebration is the thing
we've come for. Even in the midst of war
let us remind each other of the Day
we're navigating toward – it’s not that far,
our journey to the light. We’ll keep at bay
the passing darkness – and not let the night
obscure our upward visions of delight.

- Anne Bryant-Hamon -

Old 07-01-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Just thinking a bit more on this truth..

Everyone would agree that His ways are "higher than our ways" and His thoughts "higher than our thoughts."

But then what happens? He becomes just like us!! We find it hard to believe that God could love "even Hitler." He wants to punish, because WE want to punish.

But why couldn't He just forgive everyone?? Because it's "not fair??" He's GOD!! Remember, He made everyone to be a sinner!

As men, we think that God judges the way we judge. Or loves the way we love. Or hates the way we hate.
And we get more convinced of this by citing verses such as "but we have the mind of Christ" to prove it.

I've known people who were absolutely convinced they had the mind of Christ as they condemned young women to hell for having an abortion.

Blessings,
brian

People also do not realize the scripture point of running the race, while running the race the runner has not finished or won, but he knows where the finish line is.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Paul,

I'm thankful for you... Very thankful for you.
Here's a poem I thought you might enjoy...

J O U R N E Y

Together let us walk while there is light
and breath can still be drawn to fill our lips
with sacred words as we approach our flight
to the beyond – to join the ancient ships –
those vessels that endured the wrath and winds
that blow below the heavens. And let’s sing
for joy of recognition, like lost friends
who know a celebration is the thing
we've come for. Even in the midst of war
let us remind each other of the Day
we're navigating toward – it’s not that far,
our journey to the light. We’ll keep at bay
the passing darkness – and not let the night
obscure our upward visions of delight.

- Anne Bryant-Hamon -

Thank you.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:38 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post

The Old Testament definitely demonstrates TWO OPPOSING VIEWS of GOD. It can be quite confusing if one is uncertain about God's ultimate intention. Even in the New Testament, Jesus appears to have two sides - the one who came to bring division and not peace - one who had a burning zeal and wanted to see the fire kindled.... and on the other hand, the Prince of Peace who went about healing and doing good. I think the number two is significant throughout (okay all numbers have meaning) but the number two is a sad number to me because it brings division (which is used to multiply God's family, so it is good) but think of the number 2 - there are two seeds, two women, two sons, two Adams, two covenants, and in fact, it is just dawning on me this very second what the scripture means where it says the animals ENTERED THE ARK TWO BY TWO! Wow! Love revelation knowledge when it is given! Whew -- Heaven is when two become One Flesh!...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity