U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 11:37 AM

8,435 posts, read 8,668,211 times

Advertisements

I was reading an article the other day which reminded me that Jesus' other spoken language was Aramaic. Arabic is the closest language we have to Aramaic. Does that mean that Jesus in Aramaic called God "alaha" or "allah"?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 11:57 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,759,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I was reading an article the other day which reminded me that Jesus' other spoken language was Aramaic. Arabic is the closest language we have to Aramaic. Does that mean that Jesus in Aramaic called God "alaha" or "allah"?
A very interesting question, Kat. One I've never considered before. I do think it is possible. But I don't know. And I'm sure the very idea will upset some folks. But I'm glad you are here stretching our minds - they need the exercise!

Heartsong

Old 07-06-2010, 12:11 PM

8,391 posts, read 9,136,940 times
Quote:
Jesus being a Jew probably used the standard jewish term for God: Elah. In addition he used the term "Abba".

Allah is an Islamic term.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Jesus being a Jew probably used the standard jewish term for God: Elah. In addition he used the term "Abba".

Allah is an Islamic term.
The word for God in Aramaic is alah or alaha according to the Pe****ta Aramaic/English Interlinear (http://www.pe****ta.org/).

"Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is One LORD:" (Deuteronomy 6:4)

Old 07-06-2010, 12:35 PM

5,302 posts, read 5,433,198 times
This is better for the Philosophy and Religion forum.. This is not a Christian thread.

Mods...what is the deal here?

Old 07-06-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
This is better for the Philosophy and Religion forum.. This is not a Christian thread.

Mods...what is the deal here?
I'd say the followers of Christ can discuss what Christ said in Aramaic... If I wanted to discuss it outside Christianity then I would have posted it there.

I have no interest in another religion's opinion...

Hope that clears up your concern.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:40 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,908,364 times
Here is a video link to the mourner's kaddish, a jewish prayer that was written in Aramaic so you can hear for yourself. The word allah is not included.

Kaddish - The transliteration and translation of the Kaddish (http://www.yahrzeit.org/kaddish_eng.html - broken link)

Old 07-06-2010, 01:53 PM

5,302 posts, read 5,433,198 times
Quote:
I'd say the followers of Christ can discuss what Christ said in Aramaic... If I wanted to discuss it outside Christianity then I would have posted it there.

In another thread, didn't I post the origins of the name Allah to you already?

Old 07-06-2010, 01:54 PM

595 posts, read 739,588 times
Actually ABBA is Arabic for "Father" and this is how Jesus referred to God. Allah evolved in arabic
via the "moon god" a pagan deity and Muslims still are hooked (mostly out of ignorance and the heresy of influencial clerics/phrophets) on a present day pagan ceremony of praying toward Mecca and having replacement mediators to Jesus. They are well intended spiritual people who
have inherited a pagan faith and will live and die without knowing the truth of salvation. It's an
incomprehensibly sad senario. I still love these people and their children and feel helpless in having
a universal impact on their right to believe what they hold sacred. It's "religion" which God has little
to do with. These Muslims pursue traditional pagan customs to reach their Allah and it's all perverted nonesense.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:09 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,759,126 times
Quote:

Yes, we are grown ups here and hopefully we'll be left free to discuss Christianity from all angles. Fear sucks.

Heartsong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or