U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 01:45 PM

4,541 posts, read 3,661,668 times

Advertisements

Without boring you with a lot of background, Iíll just say that Iím on the Youth Committee at my church and I help organize events. One event was a fundraiser for a summer trip for the youth. Iíve recently learned that a small group of kids are going to an amusement park (the very same one that was to be the site of the youth trip) on the same date (this Saturday) that the youth trip was supposed to be on. When Iíve asked in the past about the status of this yearís youth trip, the answers have been ďI donít knowísĒ. Now, I learn about this trip; my children were not invited. On Sunday, after the trip, I plan to ask when the youth trip will take place using the funds we have raised. Iím almost 99% sure the trip on Saturday will be using the fundraiser money; an event that my family spent time and money helping to make successful, yet we werenít invited on this outing.

Would this be enough to make you leave your church? If the church indeed uses the fundraising money for their trip on Saturday (which Iím almost positive they will), I will feel VERY betrayed and hurt that my family was excluded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 01:54 PM

7,936 posts, read 13,875,032 times
Yes I would leave....don't look back. It seems way too common these days that churches are cliquey and more of a social club than anything else....

Old 07-06-2010, 01:58 PM

2,345 posts, read 3,906,237 times
Someone needs to answer about this whole thing. Chew someone out and then leave. And demand a refund for any money you contributed to this event that isn't happening.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:02 PM

11,798 posts, read 22,005,395 times
I agree. That is inexcusable.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:13 PM

4,883 posts, read 5,269,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Yes I would leave....don't look back. It seems way too common these days that churches are cliquey and more of a social club than anything else....
Agreed...churches these days are nothing more than entertainment centers on Sunday who cater only to those in their cliques and especially to those who line their coffers...it's a shame but it's the truth. After visiting 10 or more churches in my area, I found this to be true of every one of them and the internal fighting and strife over the stupidest poo poo was ridiculous. I'm much happier spending my time at home on Sunday having a nice breakfast and relaxing with my hubby...a truly restful place to be.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:29 PM

21,188 posts, read 21,039,843 times
Just a suggestion - you might want to post this on the Christian subforum. Not to say that you won't get good advice here - but a lot of us (myself included) are heathens/former believers/non-believers/atheists, etc. - and would tell someone to leave church no matter what!

Old 07-06-2010, 02:47 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,190,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Without boring you with a lot of background, Iíll just say that Iím on the Youth Committee at my church and I help organize events. One event was a fundraiser for a summer trip for the youth. Iíve recently learned that a small group of kids are going to an amusement park (the very same one that was to be the site of the youth trip) on the same date (this Saturday) that the youth trip was supposed to be on. When Iíve asked in the past about the status of this yearís youth trip, the answers have been ďI donít knowísĒ. Now, I learn about this trip; my children were not invited. On Sunday, after the trip, I plan to ask when the youth trip will take place using the funds we have raised. Iím almost 99% sure the trip on Saturday will be using the fundraiser money; an event that my family spent time and money helping to make successful, yet we werenít invited on this outing.

Would this be enough to make you leave your church? If the church indeed uses the fundraising money for their trip on Saturday (which Iím almost positive they will), I will feel VERY betrayed and hurt that my family was excluded.
If it's behavior you wouldn't tolerate from family or friends, I wouldn't tolerate it from a church, either...since church is often akin to family for many people.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Funny that you should say this. I attend a small church of about 70 people; which are mainly made up of about 5 or 6 families. There is a definite inner circle at the church, but I have a close relationship with my Pastor and his family (his daughter and I are "good" friends), so it would be especially upsetting if they are, in fact, excluding us.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Just a suggestion - you might want to post this on the Christian subforum. Not to say that you won't get good advice here - but a lot of us (myself included) are heathens/former believers/non-believers/atheists, etc. - and would tell someone to leave church no matter what!
LOL; thanks for the head's up. How can I get this moved?

Old 07-06-2010, 03:01 PM

21,188 posts, read 21,039,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
LOL; thanks for the head's up. How can I get this moved?
You could always just start a new one in the Christian forum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or