U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2010, 10:24 AM

1,897 posts, read 1,775,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
All of a sudden all URs agree that Bible does NOT say ""People are corrected after death". Good. Maybe the time spent here has not been in vain after all.
I was obviously talking about a direct quote. I can admit there is not a quote that directly says, '"People are corrected after death." You should be able to admit that there is not a direct quote that says, "People are never forgiven after death."

Without a direct quote, we can both supply many verses that support what we believe, as is clear by all the round-and-round-we-go-again debates. Like I said, this is where faith comes in. You must choose what interpretation to believe based on who you believe God is, and what you believe the Holy Spirit is leading you to believe, and be at peace in knowing Him and trusting Him, who is Love and is Hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 10:37 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,777,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Matthew 24:51
He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth

God chose to phrase it this way in Luke:

Luke 12:46
..... He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the unbelievers. Not only are unbelievers assigned a place "where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth" but those who call themselves "servants".

Such a "servant who knows his master's will and does not get ready or does not do what his master wants" gets the same treatment as "the unbelievers\hypocrites"

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

FYI: Jesus doesn't say they might be or God won't because "He is love" as the hippie Christian wants to believe, but rather Jesus says they "will be beaten with many blows" in a place assigned.

And God get's his will....right?
  • they "will be beaten" (not forgiven, not UR'ed as the hippie Christians )
  • "with many blows" (how long does "many blows" take? ... hint: for ever, forever
  • in a place assigned (ain't going to be heaven )
Hmmmmm, do you suppose God will literally cut people in pieces? What sort of instrument would he use - a knife, scissors, a machete, all of these? Or might this cutting to pieces actually be a hyperbolic way of saying that men will be completely humbled, no longer able to hide the deepest inner thoughts of their darkened hearts - like being naked, only in a spiritual sense? If God is an invisible Spirit, will he be cutting people's spirits to pieces or physical bodies???

Heartsong

Old 07-09-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Here word for word : I don't need a verse by verse outline explaining to me what will happen after death. It does not say "People are corrected after death"

And she is right, the Bible does not say it. Her point is to say that it does not say it, but she has concluded that it is what it means anyway. Will you now quit accusing me of 'twisting' words?

Look at what you just did yourself: you just took verses completely out of context and mixed and matched them with other out of context verses to build your case. Yes, using that method you can have the Bible say whatever you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Maybe you should actually QUOTE THE WHOLE SENTENCE!

It does not say "People are corrected after death," no more than it says, "People are never forgiven after death."

You plainly misrepresent people Finn, and then accuse others of doing it to you.

What she was talking about was the bible does not say it in those specific words "People are corrected after death", but it does say it in many other ways, especially when we see the purpose of God's judgments, what His character is, and how He deals with people.
Thank you, legoman! I could just as easily quote Finn like this:
Quote:
And she is right
And then post, "Thanks, Finn!!"

Finn, please don't play these games because it distracts from having a logical, meaningful conversation.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Hmmmmm, do you suppose God will literally cut people in pieces? What sort of instrument would he use - a knife, scissors, a machete, all of these? Or might this cutting to pieces actually be a hyperbolic way of saying that men will be completely humbled, no longer able to hide the deepest inner thoughts of their darkened hearts - like being naked, only in a spiritual sense? If God is an invisible Spirit, will he be cutting people's spirits to pieces or physical bodies???

Heartsong
Good point, Heartsong.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:53 AM

11,826 posts, read 10,200,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
No, you thinking one verse says the whole story is foolish.
Actually I used 3, most people can't \ don't bother with a whole dissertation....which I could have. But experience tells me that if people object to few, many makes no difference.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:55 AM

63,324 posts, read 34,509,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
I was obviously talking about a direct quote. I can admit there is not a quote that directly says, '"People are corrected after death." You should be able to admit that there is not a direct quote that says, "People are never forgiven after death."
There are many things in the Bible you can't find a direct quote the way you choose to spell it out, but it just happens that you have to do a lot of cherry picking and out of context quoting to support '"People are corrected after death", while "People are never forgiven after death" is rather clear in the Bible.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
Finn, please don't play these games because it distracts from having a logical, meaningful conversation.
Is this, or is this not, your point (my words) : Her point is to say that it does not say it, but she has concluded that it is what it means anyway.

Of course it is, so your own comment to criticize me is nothing but a distraction to the conversation. You see that, don't you?

I understand you want to support the people who agree with everything you say, but would you mind doing it without telling others what they can and cannot say? Maybe one day you will be a moderator, and then you can play that game, but until then, just leave it to the mods. Thank you.

Quote:
Thank you, legoman! I could just as easily quote Finn like this:
Yes, you can quote me any way you want. I am not your mother, so i am not going to try to tell you can and can't do.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 07-09-2010 at 11:26 AM..

Old 07-09-2010, 11:05 AM

8,435 posts, read 8,695,749 times
Quote:
There are many things in the Bible you can't find a direct quote the way you choose to spell it out, but it just happens that you have to do a lot of cherry picking and out of context quoting to support "People are corrected after death", while "People are never forgiven after death" is rather clear in the Bible.
People are never forgiven after death is rather clear?

I found this interesting: Isaiah 22:14 The LORD Almighty has revealed this in my hearing: "Till your dying day this sin will not be atoned for," says the Lord, the LORD Almighty.

"Till your dying day".... seems to me that after his death the sin CAN be atoned for but not until then.

It's just like the rest of the bible... it's about living not after death. Finn... can you post where you see it clear that people are never forgiven after death? You claim it... so prove it... shall I start a new thread?

Last edited by katjonjj; 07-09-2010 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: added spacing

Old 07-09-2010, 11:06 AM

5,925 posts, read 5,852,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Actually I used 3, most people can't \ don't bother with a whole dissertation....which I could have. But experience tells me that if people object to few, many makes no difference.

The quote to me used one verse, and then you ended by saying "Then Jesus is foolish"

So my point based on that has not changed.

But it is true that long lengthy replies are pointless from either perspective because some actually think they hold the ultimate truth,. rather than the possibility that their intepretation (or one they agree with) might be the truth.

Hence when you post one verse and imply that I am saying Jesus is foolish, it is YOU being foolish in the first place.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
People are never forgiven after death is rather clear?

I found this interesting: Isaiah 22:14 The LORD Almighty has revealed this in my hearing: "Till your dying day this sin will not be atoned for," says the Lord, the LORD Almighty.
This is a prophecy about the attack on Jerusalem and ruin of Jews. Sorry, but no cigar. That is exactly the kind of quote I see people use, and they are way out of context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity