U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 04:01 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,573,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
Why must people continue to say I exalt myself, or I say that people HAVE TO keep the sabbath!!! It is up to the person whether or not they keep it!!
Maybe when you post such statements such as these:

Quote:
The thing is this: I did not create the sabbath day!!
I did not make up things that are and are not to be done on the sabbath!!
I do not impose it on anyone, I only state the importance of it!!
If one does not observe the sabbath, I am not the one they need to answer to!!!
Thus implying a judgment if one does not keep the sabbath... thereby you are exalting yourself as a keeper of the sabbath over others that do not, yes?

Quote:
Again, I only tell people that all ten commandments still stand!!

God is the one who created the ten, not me!!!
Colossians 2:15And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. 16Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: 17Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Romans 14: 4Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand. 5One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 6He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks. 7For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself. 8For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 04:09 PM

701 posts, read 678,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
So man recorded what day the sabbath fell on and from that moment on it has always been on saturday? How do you know our modern 7 days is in line with those then... The sabbath was the day after man was made.. did Adam record what day that was and then line out all the 7th days until now? I don't see how the bible teaches saturday is the 7th day.

What if God's week started on Saturday? Then that would be the 1st day and Friday is the 7th day....???
Didn't you read the last part of my post? God is the one who established the count. If I told you to start counting the days today 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1,2,3,4,5,6,7...............if 1000 years went by and all the days were renamed, it wouldn't change the fact that the same cycle would be 1,2,3,4,5,6,7......... call this day whatever you want, it would still be day one in the cycle. Today we call it Thursday, but in 1000 years society may be calling it Soupday, whatever they call, it is still the first day of the 7 count cycle. God setup the 7 day cycle count with creation, reiterated it for 40 straight years during the Exodus, and again reiterated it with Christ's 30+ years of life on earth. I'll state it one more way. Imagine that when God created the earth, He took a timer that simply counted 1-7 and would then repeat for infinity, and buried that in the ground somewhere. At any point in time if you were to dig it up and look at the counter it would display a # 1-7 thats it, no names just a number. When the Israelites were in the wilderness God made sure they knew what that counter said, when Christ came He certainly knew what that counter said. Today if we looked at the counter it would say 5, and when it says 7 it happens to coincide with what todays calendars refer to as Saturday. Someone could come through and rename all the days of the week, that won't change at all what the counter says. It is still going to simply display a #1-7, so to determine what day is the Sabbath, you simply look at the counter and see what new name coincides with the 7th day.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:10 PM

5,499 posts, read 4,577,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
Why must people continue to say I exalt myself, or I say that people HAVE TO keep the sabbath!!! It is up to the person whether or not they keep it!!

Again, I only tell people that all ten commandments still stand!!

God is the one who created the ten, not me!!!

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You cannot be serious Dale , the keeping of the Law was the yoke upon our necks . This why Jesus took it way beyond what the law said , when He said if you even look upon a woman to lust after her you have commited adultery with her , and if you hate your brother you have commited murder .

In other words the commandments has you know it are impossible to keep, and this very much includes the 10 commandments.

A great lesson will be learnt when we understand it's Him keeping us and not us keeping the commandments.
Quote:
So man recorded what day the sabbath fell on and from that moment on it has always been on saturday? How do you know our modern 7 days is in line with those then... The sabbath was the day after man was made.. did Adam record what day that was and then line out all the 7th days until now? I don't see how the bible teaches saturday is the 7th day.

What if God's week started on Saturday? Then that would be the 1st day and Friday is the 7th day....???
Exactly my point Kat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
Don't forget that Sabbath (the mark of the God's people, according to some) falls on a Sunday (the mark of the beast according to some) in our neck of woods (we're a day late)...then half of the world will condemn us for being defiers of the 4th commandment...especially from the very places where you perceived it preached...

Something to ponder upon...
Have you?

Old 07-08-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Don't forget that Sabbath (the mark of the God's people, according to some) falls on a Sunday (the mark of the beast according to some) in our necks of woods (we're a day late)...then half of the world will condemn us for being defiers of the 4th commandment...especially from the very places where you perceived it preached...

Something to ponder upon...
If you start counting the days at sundown, then when the sun sets in, say the middle east on a friday, it is actually rising on a friday morning in Hawaii. The Sabbath is based on 7, 24 hour cycles. It is never the same time on opposite sides of our planet, why would you think that the Sabbath is any different? obviously, a saturday afternoon in hawaii is a sunday afternoon in say fiji.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:23 PM

32,269 posts, read 21,136,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
What I think Dale was, and has for some time, been trying to get people to see is that the 10C are the God's laws, the law of Moses refers to all the others. It isn't rocket science to see which laws were to be as eternal and everlasting as God Himself, and which ones were meant to be temporary. Only 10 laws were CARVED INTO STONE BY THE VERY FINGER OF GOD. All others were written down by Moses on paper scrolls. It still baffles me that these discussions go on like this for 10-12 pages. Why would anyone think that something written by God in that manner would have any less significance today than when He wrote it? Every person on earth, since Adam and Eve, who has been saved has been saved by grace/faith in Christ. I find it very hard to understand why so many Christians seem to believe that salvation by grace/faith in Christ is strictly a post Calvary thing. Pre-Calvary they had faith that He would come and post-Calvary we have faith that He has come.
They are all the laws of God , do you think Moses made the rest up

"These are the laws you are to set before them" (who is saying this to Moses ?). Exodus 21 verse 1.

Last edited by pcamps; 07-08-2010 at 05:00 PM..

Old 07-08-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
If you start counting the days at sundown, then when the sun sets in, say the middle east on a friday, it is actually rising on a friday morning in Hawaii. The Sabbath is based on 7, 24 hour cycles. It is never the same time on opposite sides of our planet, why would you think that the Sabbath is any different? obviously, a saturday afternoon in hawaii is a sunday afternoon in say fiji.
Exactly!!!

Old 07-08-2010, 04:30 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,678,690 times
Quote:
Didn't you read the last part of my post? God is the one who established the count. If I told you to start counting the days today 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1,2,3,4,5,6,7...............if 1000 years went by and all the days were renamed, it wouldn't change the fact that the same cycle would be 1,2,3,4,5,6,7......... call this day whatever you want, it would still be day one in the cycle. Today we call it Thursday, but in 1000 years society may be calling it Soupday, whatever they call, it is still the first day of the 7 count cycle. God setup the 7 day cycle count with creation, reiterated it for 40 straight years during the Exodus, and again reiterated it with Christ's 30+ years of life on earth. I'll state it one more way. Imagine that when God created the earth, He took a timer that simply counted 1-7 and would then repeat for infinity, and buried that in the ground somewhere. At any point in time if you were to dig it up and look at the counter it would display a # 1-7 thats it, no names just a number. When the Israelites were in the wilderness God made sure they knew what that counter said, when Christ came He certainly knew what that counter said. Today if we looked at the counter it would say 5, and when it says 7 it happens to coincide with what todays calendars refer to as Saturday. Someone could come through and rename all the days of the week, that won't change at all what the counter says. It is still going to simply display a #1-7, so to determine what day is the Sabbath, you simply look at the counter and see what new name coincides with the 7th day.
So what day is that and where is the counter so I can see it....

You prove my point though... thanks. It has nothing to do with the name of the day at all. We celebrate Christmas in Dec.. but we know Jesus was born in the spring...right? So there is a name of the event but no connection to even the same season as the actual event.

In any case... here is a great article about how the 7 days came along...:
Take Our Word For It Issue 104

It states that the Romans didn't use a 7 day week... but apparently the Jews did eh?

It makes you wonder whether the 7 day genesis story came before or after the babylonians adopted the cycle according to the planets...

Old 07-08-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
So what day is that and where is the counter so I can see it....

You prove my point though... thanks. It has nothing to do with the name of the day at all. We celebrate Christmas in Dec.. but we know Jesus was born in the spring...right? So there is a name of the event but no connection to even the same season as the actual event.

In any case... here is a great article about how the 7 days came along...:
Take Our Word For It Issue 104

It states that the Romans didn't use a 7 day week... but apparently the Jews did eh?

It makes you wonder whether the 7 day genesis story came before or after the babylonians adopted the cycle according to the planets...
The 7 day cycle count has been maintained by the Jews since the Exodus, and Christ validated it when He came and kept the Sabbath. I did not prove your point, but you clearly have missed mine. The Sabbath isn't like the Christmas situation, I want to say it is almost the exact opposite of it. Let's say your birthday is Jul 12. That date can fall on many different days of the week, but it is always the exact same date every year, because it follows a set cycle that can't be altered unless you figure out how to alter the Earths rotation around the sun. With the Sabbath, the importance is in knowing what the 7th day is in the cycle set by God in Genesis. that cycle has not changed since then. There have always been the same cycle of the Earth/Sun/Moon rotations. Any study of history will show that what is called Saturday today falls on the 7th day of the cycle counted set by God. The 4th Commandment doesn't say keep Saturday holy, it says keep the 7th day Holy. I don't keep sundown Friday to sundown Saturday holy because of what the names of the days are, I keep that time Holy because, as God has made clear, it falls on the 7th day of that cycle count. Why do so many Christians try so hard to rationalize the violation of this one Commandment? Why do they try to dismiss this single commandment as having changed with the death of Christ? Did any of the other ones change? Is it now ok to take God's name in vain? I didn't specify the day of the week or carve it into stone with the other 9C that no christian ever seems to contest. God did it. He was the one that specified the 7th day. It is meant to be a weekly anniversary day with God. Married people don't strictly love their spouse on their anniversary, but on that day they generally set aside special time to spend with each other to celebrate their marriage. God set aside a special time each week to celebrate creation. What if your spouse said I don't care what day our anniversary is, I'll celebrate it when I feel like it?

Old 07-08-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
The 7 day cycle count has been maintained by the Jews since the Exodus, and Christ validated it when He came and kept the Sabbath. I did not prove your point, but you clearly have missed mine. The Sabbath isn't like the Christmas situation, I want to say it is almost the exact opposite of it. Let's say your birthday is Jul 12. That date can fall on many different days of the week, but it is always the exact same date every year, because it follows a set cycle that can't be altered unless you figure out how to alter the Earths rotation around the sun. With the Sabbath, the importance is in knowing what the 7th day is in the cycle set by God in Genesis. that cycle has not changed since then. There have always been the same cycle of the Earth/Sun/Moon rotations. Any study of history will show that what is called Saturday today falls on the 7th day of the cycle counted set by God. The 4th Commandment doesn't say keep Saturday holy, it says keep the 7th day Holy. I don't keep sundown Friday to sundown Saturday holy because of what the names of the days are, I keep that time Holy because, as God has made clear, it falls on the 7th day of that cycle count. Why do so many Christians try so hard to rationalize the violation of this one Commandment? Why do they try to dismiss this single commandment as having changed with the death of Christ? Did any of the other ones change? Is it now ok to take God's name in vain? I didn't specify the day of the week or carve it into stone with the other 9C that no christian ever seems to contest. God did it. He was the one that specified the 7th day. It is meant to be a weekly anniversary day with God. Married people don't strictly love their spouse on their anniversary, but on that day they generally set aside special time to spend with each other to celebrate their marriage. God set aside a special time each week to celebrate creation. What if your spouse said I don't care what day our anniversary is, I'll celebrate it when I feel like it?
Quote:
If "The Almighty God" specifically asks for one day out of all my days in reverence to his holiness...and I give him all my days and all my love and all my thoughts and all my being to his holiness as well...would he not smile and prefer that instead? THIS IS HOW I WANT TO LOVE HIM!

When your neighbor asks you to give him an inch...give him a hundred miles instead...

Blessings to ALL...
This what I do...I let my spouse feel my appreciation and my love everyday...instead of just one day a year...

Old 07-08-2010, 05:43 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,678,690 times
Quote:
So you really DON'T know what day the sabbath falls on... because the week is not according to something concrete like moon cycles or astronomy.. right? So you celebrate it when YOU believe it is right.

Actually my anniversary is in November and last year my hubby took me on a short cruise in September because it was a better season and we had the money... I don't care if he celebrates that day or not (and every 7 years it is on Thanksgiving anyway) so I don't see what significance the actual day is nor what is wrong with making every day your day of rest.

In the summer a sabbath is longer than 24 hours because it is sundown to sundown but in the winter it is shorter than a day... so if it were set in stone (pun intended) then I would be able to agree... however.. beyond saying that 1 out of 7 days should be a day of rest... there is no God-given rules as to how one should celebrate it... man made those rules...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or