U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 10:49 PM

701 posts, read 678,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
the summer a sabbath is longer than 24 hours because it is sundown to sundown but in the winter it is shorter than a day... so if it were set in stone (pun intended) then I would be able to agree... however.. beyond saying that 1 out of 7 days should be a day of rest... there is no God-given rules as to how one should celebrate it... man made those rules...
Oh wow Kat, bless your heart. Ok, first off, as far as I know the Earth has always taken 24 hours to rotate on its axis. I don't care what time of year it is, the 24 hour part of the cycle remains the same, and the Sabbath is always a 24 hour period of time. What you seem to be confusing is the fact that at different times of the year on different parts of the globe, the division between light and dark within those 24 hours can be quite different. In winter, when the hours of daylight are shortened, there is absolutely no impact on the fact that there are still 24 hours in the daily cycle. Sabbath simply starts earlier in the day, but it is still 24 hours long. Remember it is from sundown on the sixth day to sundown on the seventh day, not from sunrise on the seventh day to sundown on the seventh day.

Quote:
So you really DON'T know what day the sabbath falls on... because the week is not according to something concrete like moon cycles or astronomy.. right? So you celebrate it when YOU believe it is right.
Wrong, I know exactly what day the Sabbath falls on because the Jews still keep it, and astronomy can tell us with absolute certainty, by tracking the stars, that the cycle they have been keeping since Moses and Christ's day, is the same cycle being kept today. Now if you don't believe in scripture than I can't help you.

Quote:
my anniversary is in November and last year my hubby took me on a short cruise in September because it was a better season and we had the money... I don't care if he celebrates that day or not (and every 7 years it is on Thanksgiving anyway) so I don't see what significance the actual day is nor what is wrong with making every day your day of rest.
Exodus 20:10-11

"10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it."

Kathryn, you have made it clear that you don't care what day it falls on, and you don't see what significance the actual day is, however the above text and the manner in which it was given tells me that God does care quite a bit. You ask what is wrong with making every day your day of rest, and the answer seems pretty clear, eventually what would you be resting from, if you were always resting? Are you telling God then, that the time that He said is important, and set aside just for you and Him to spend extra special time together, isn't important to you? God is a God of relationships. He wants to have a relationship with us. Now I'm sure that you and your husband love each other dearly, but I also know that if you both did not take some quality time to spend with each other from time to time I'm sure any relationship would suffer a bit. People have posted back on here in snarky ways how they love God all the time and not just on Sabbath, as though those of us who keep the Sabbath don't. It isn't about picking a set time when we will love God and that is the only time we will love Him, it is about Him knowing the importance of spending time building relationships, and so He made sure that this time would be set aside to always have as a special time, a Holy time to spend building that relationship. Sure we spend everyday talking to God and building a relationship, but He wants to spend some special time together with His kids once a week, where work and the worldly cares He knows distracts us throughout the week are set aside. You may not care about that special time, but God cared enough to carve it into stone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 11:22 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,675,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
Oh wow Kat, bless your heart. Ok, first off, as far as I know the Earth has always taken 24 hours to rotate on its axis. I don't care what time of year it is, the 24 hour part of the cycle remains the same, and the Sabbath is always a 24 hour period of time. What you seem to be confusing is the fact that at different times of the year on different parts of the globe, the division between light and dark within those 24 hours can be quite different. In winter, when the hours of daylight are shortened, there is absolutely no impact on the fact that there are still 24 hours in the daily cycle. Sabbath simply starts earlier in the day, but it is still 24 hours long. Remember it is from sundown on the sixth day to sundown on the seventh day, not from sunrise on the seventh day to sundown on the seventh day.

Wrong, I know exactly what day the Sabbath falls on because the Jews still keep it, and astronomy can tell us with absolute certainty, by tracking the stars, that the cycle they have been keeping since Moses and Christ's day, is the same cycle being kept today. Now if you don't believe in scripture than I can't help you.

Exodus 20:10-11

"10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it."

Kathryn, you have made it clear that you don't care what day it falls on, and you don't see what significance the actual day is, however the above text and the manner in which it was given tells me that God does care quite a bit. You ask what is wrong with making every day your day of rest, and the answer seems pretty clear, eventually what would you be resting from, if you were always resting? Are you telling God then, that the time that He said is important, and set aside just for you and Him to spend extra special time together, isn't important to you? God is a God of relationships. He wants to have a relationship with us. Now I'm sure that you and your husband love each other dearly, but I also know that if you both did not take some quality time to spend with each other from time to time I'm sure any relationship would suffer a bit. People have posted back on here in snarky ways how they love God all the time and not just on Sabbath, as though those of us who keep the Sabbath don't. It isn't about picking a set time when we will love God and that is the only time we will love Him, it is about Him knowing the importance of spending time building relationships, and so He made sure that this time would be set aside to always have as a special time, a Holy time to spend building that relationship. Sure we spend everyday talking to God and building a relationship, but He wants to spend some special time together with His kids once a week, where work and the worldly cares He knows distracts us throughout the week are set aside. You may not care about that special time, but God cared enough to carve it into stone.
LOL

You remembered my name and the spelling.... Ahhhh...

Hey... I don't care if you want to celebrate the sabbath on saturday... but to me the OT was written to Israelites... not me... the NT was written to the Jews.. not me.

My relationship with God is spiritual not ritual...

And it is my own. But I don't deny anyone their holy day... they can have it... what I do deny is that a God would need to require a day set aside unless there was a reason for it...

If the reason is rest... well... I can rest any day of the week... if it is to separate the israelites from the rest of Asia... well then I am not an Israelite.. so I guess that doesn't really apply.

I think it is silly for someone to think that God NEEDS or REQUIRES a specific day for rest... Just like my husband and I... I don't expect a celebration only on my anniversary... I want a celebration everyday.

But... like I said... You are welcome to your own sabbath days.

Paul had it right IMO...
Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. (Col. 2:16)

So what is the argument here?

Old 12-27-2010, 09:34 PM

22 posts, read 20,194 times
Default Misquoting Collosians ! ! ! (Again)

Quote:
LOL

You remembered my name and the spelling.... Ahhhh...

Hey... I don't care if you want to celebrate the sabbath on saturday... but to me the OT was written to Israelites... not me... the NT was written to the Jews.. not me.

My relationship with God is spiritual not ritual...

And it is my own. But I don't deny anyone their holy day... they can have it... what I do deny is that a God would need to require a day set aside unless there was a reason for it...

If the reason is rest... well... I can rest any day of the week... if it is to separate the israelites from the rest of Asia... well then I am not an Israelite.. so I guess that doesn't really apply.

I think it is silly for someone to think that God NEEDS or REQUIRES a specific day for rest... Just like my husband and I... I don't expect a celebration only on my anniversary... I want a celebration everyday.

But... like I said... You are welcome to your own sabbath days.

Paul had it right IMO...
Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. (Col. 2:16)

So what is the argument here?

Just like the JWs, you are misquoting Collosians. When Paul is writing to the Collosians, he is writing to a community of believers who are living amongst the heathens. You must understand this otherwise this whole chapter falls apart into one long excuse for your self-serving ways.

This community of believers, like the others, lived worked and walked amongst people who did not keep the Law. So when Paul is saying, "therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat....etc", he is saying don't let your boss or your friends pass judgement on you because you refuse to eat pork or any other unclean meat. Don't let the heathen judge you for taking time off work to keep Sabbath or the New Moon day, or the annual Holy days!

He's not writing to YOU. You must glean what you can from these letters by understanding who he was writing to, what his intended audience believed in, how this audience lived, and where they were living in order to recognize the meaning behind the message! If you think you are a fair judge of Yahweh, then you are just like the tyrants past present and future who may truly believe they are doing the work of our Father. Case in point, Janet Napolitano and her gestapo goons at the TSA. He that hath an ear, let him hear.

Joe

PS - Don't just believe me though, do a concordance word study yourself by going to Blue Letter Bible. You will need nothing but an open mind. I have a personal study written up on Collosians chapter 2 if you're interested.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:27 PM

1 posts, read 316 times
God asked Adam and Eve not to eat from one tree in the Garden of Eden. He wanted them to obey him, but they chose not to obey God and ate from the tree. God commanded man to keep the 7th day Sabbath/Saturday) as a holy day in honor of his creation. Most of the Christian world has chosen not to obey God and have chosen their own day (Sunday) as their day of worship, which came from the pagan day of sun worship. I guess people just don't think that it is important to obey God.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:44 AM

27,991 posts, read 15,070,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
THE BOOK OF THE ACTS OF THE APOSTLES SAYS; YES!!

"But when they departed from Perga, they came to Antioch in Pisidia, and went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and sat down."
(ACTS13:14)

"For they that dwell at Jerusalem, and their rulers, because they knew him not, nor yet the voices of the prophets which are read every sabbath day, they have fulfilled them in condemning him."
(ACTS 13:27)

"And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.
(ACTS 13:42)

"And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God."
(ACTS 13:44)

"For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day."
(ACTS 15:21)

"And on the sabbath we went out of the city by a river side, where prayer was wont to be made; and we sat down, and spake unto the women which resorted thither."
(ACTS 16:13)

"And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,"
(ACTS 17:2)

"And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks."
(ACTS 18:14)

So the book of the Acts of the Apostles clearly tells us that after Jesus, they still kept the sabbath, and preached throughout the world on the sabbath day!!

So why do we ignore the fourth commandment which tells us to remember His sabbath and to keep it HOLY??

Just something to ponder!!!

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE
And those verses tie into this one:

Lev 16:31 It is a sabbath of rest to you, and you shall humble yourself. It is a never ending statute.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:02 AM

Quote:
And the Israelites were to be a light unto the Gentiles...An example unto the Gentiles...Pointing to the one true God, creator of everything seen and unseen...For a prosylite Gentile, the Jews were to be a guide to those desiring to worship the one true God, so if a gentiles desored to do this, it was the Jews that were the chosen of God and responsible to show them the way to worship God on His terms...How many Gentile servants did Abraham have that God required of them circumcision?...Even the foreigner that was sojourning with them was to be circumcised...The Jews as God's chosen people were to be a beacon to the rest of the world to draw them unto Himself...And as a Gentile became a Jew he was to follow Torah, God's commandments...As Yeshua said, "until heaven and earth pass away, not one jot nor one tittle will nowise pass from the Torah, until all has been fulfilled"...Heaven and earth have not passed away yet...All that God is going to do has not been fulfilled yet...Yeshua showed us the way by the way He lived His life and we are to follow His example...

...Out of one side of their mouths they proclaim that the Tanakh and the Prophets was written to the Israelites and out of the other they use those same Scripture to prove the prophecies regarding Yeshua...either they have merit or they don't...

Old 04-07-2013, 07:43 AM

16,292 posts, read 7,664,870 times
"Fulfillment" is a word that is so often overlooked and a concept so often not understood in comparing the old Law with the New Covenant. The Law is all about forms that are shadows of what is fulfilled in the spiritual Kingdom. The writer of Hebrews explains Sabbath in chapters 3 and 4. Here is the heart of it: "4For He has said somewhere concerning the seventh day: “AND GOD RESTED ON THE SEVENTH DAY FROM ALL HIS WORKS”;5and again in this passage, “THEY SHALL NOT ENTER MY REST.”6Therefore, since it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly had good news preached to them failed to enter because of disobedience,

7He again fixes a certain day, “Today,” saying through David after so long a time just as has been said before,
“TODAY IF YOU HEAR HIS VOICE,
DO NOT HARDEN YOUR HEARTS.”

8For if Joshua had given them rest, He would not have spoken of another day after that.9So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God.10For the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His.11Therefore let us be diligent to enter that rest, so that no one will fall, through following the same example of disobedience."

The point here is that there is now no special, separate day that is to be viewed as a "sacrament," our whole lives are a sacrament. Every "today" is dedicated to the Lord and all we do should be done as if it were for Him.

Yes, The Apostles went to the synagogues to teach the Jews on their sabbath......they were not there on other days. When they taught gentiles they went to the marketplace. Meeting on any day is fine, and the early Christians met as Christians after the Jewish sabbath on the first day of the week.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Yes, The Apostles went to the synagogues to teach the Jews on their sabbath......they were not there on other days. When they taught gentiles they went to the marketplace. Meeting on any day is fine, and the early Christians met as Christians after the Jewish sabbath on the first day of the week.
Prove this with any Scriptural and/or secular support you may have, please?...

Old 04-07-2013, 09:35 AM

16,292 posts, read 7,664,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Prove this with any Scriptural and/or secular support you may have, please?...
Acts 20:7 "On the first day of the week we came together to break bread. Paul spoke to the people and, because he intended to leave the next day, kept on talking until midnight."

Do you think that Paul spoke from say 10 in the morning Sunday until Midnight? We know that the First day of the week started at sunset of the Sabbath for Jews and there are other quotes about the disciples meeting together on the first day of the week to break bread, a natural thing to do after what amounts to a day of fasting.

What's the problem?

Old 04-07-2013, 02:03 PM

4,422 posts, read 4,071,523 times
Acts 20:7 is basically saying Paul spoke from sundown Saturday night ( the 1rst day of the week) until midnight. So that would be probably 6pm - 12 am our time.

The whole they met the 1rst day of the week to break bread is taken out of context as a reasoning of why we do what we do on Sunday now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or