U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-07-2010, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,667,088 times
Reputation: 1699

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
If someone does not know what the sabbath is about, will never understand what can and cannot be done on the sabbath, so no use trying to teach ignorance!!!


DALE
COP out...

If you don't know then you shouldn't be teaching others more ignorance...

What do you do on the sabbath when you see a woman being assaulted outside your house? Do you:

A. Call the police and leave it to the NON-sabbath keepers. (calling the police is okay right?)

B. Ignore the whole thing (not very loving neighbor like).

C. Tell the woman this would never happen if she was keeping the sabbath...



Reminds me of when the leaders of the Synagogue tried to tell Christ it was not keeping the sabbath to heal a woman that day... let her suffer until the next day... and that is holy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-07-2010, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,667,088 times
Reputation: 1699
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
I do not attend church!!

DALE
Great! I don't either... LOOK at that common ground!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2010, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Rapid City, SD
723 posts, read 884,056 times
Reputation: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
COP out...

If you don't know then you shouldn't be teaching others more ignorance...

What do you do on the sabbath when you see a woman being assaulted outside your house? Do you:

A. Call the police and leave it to the NON-sabbath keepers. (calling the police is okay right?)

B. Ignore the whole thing (not very loving neighbor like).

C. Tell the woman this would never happen if she was keeping the sabbath...



Reminds me of when the leaders of the Synagogue tried to tell Christ it was not keeping the sabbath to heal a woman that day... let her suffer until the next day... and that is holy?
OK listen closely, because I'm only gonna say it once!!!

"IT IS LAWFUL TO DO GOOD ON THE SABBATH!!!!


GOD BLESS!!!
DALE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2010, 01:32 PM
 
1,897 posts, read 1,770,564 times
Reputation: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
"If thou turn away thy foot because of the sabbath, from pursuing thy business on My holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, and the holy of the LORD honourable; and shalt honour it, not doing thy wonted ways, nor pursuing thy business, nor speaking thereof; Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD, and I will make thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and I will feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father; for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it." Isaiah 58:13,14

So from Friday sundown to Saturday sundown what do you do or not do that keeps the sabbath holy?

I am curious because if you post on here.... that is breaking the sabbath, if you go shopping or make dinner... you break the sabbath..

If you go to church you are breaking the sabbath because the pastor is working... so what exactly DO YOU DO to keep the sabbath holy?

(I find it suspect when anyone calls upon the OT to dictate feast days and other PRIMITIVE rituals)
I always thought you weren't supposed to work on the sabbath, but it was ok to take a nap, relax with a good book, go fishing, or whatever you enjoy, but YLT says you aren't supposed to be "doing thine own pleasure." That sure rules out a lot of things! I guess I would be keeping the Sabbath by working in the yard and cleaning the house, since that's not doing my own pleasure. Also, is it just "business" you shouldn't speak of like the translation above, or anything, like it sounds in YLT?

Isaiah 58:13

13If thou dost turn from the sabbath thy foot, Doing thine own pleasure on My holy day, And hast cried to the sabbath, `A delight,' To the holy of Jehovah, `Honoured,' And hast honoured it, without doing thine own ways, Without finding thine own pleasure, And speaking a word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2010, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Rapid City, SD
723 posts, read 884,056 times
Reputation: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Great! I don't either... LOOK at that common ground!
I guess were not so opposite after all!!! LOL


GOD BLESS!!!
DALE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2010, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Maryland
3,540 posts, read 6,079,527 times
Reputation: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Yes, I keep the Sabbath holy as commanded by God.

Sunday Sabbath...man's sabbath...was commanded by the Pope...the Roman [Catholic] Church.

The Sabbath = Saturday, the seventh day of the week, it begins Friday evening, sundown, and ends Saturday evening , at sundown.

A day of the week isn't determined by when we wake up in the morning, according to the Jewish faith...a day begins at sundown on one day, and ends at sundown the next day....sundown to sundown.


Oakback, please go to the thread by sciota, titled:

The Feast of Days, Unleavened Bread, and Eternal life

I explain, in detail...and I prove, through Scripture the FACTS...the meaning of the Sabbath vs Sunday.

God Bless,
Verna.
I respect your devotion. My Jewish friend has committed to try his best to follow many many laws. It seems to work for him as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2010, 01:56 PM
 
Location: South Jordan, Utah
6,801 posts, read 7,363,517 times
Reputation: 2960
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Paul (a Jew) said, "I MYSELF AM NOT UNDER THE LAW" (1 Cor. 9:20).

"ALL WHO RELY ON OBSERVING THE LAW ARE UNDER A CURSE" (Gal. 3:10).

"CHRIST REDEEMED US FROM THE CURSE OF THE LAW" (Gal. 3:13).

"NOW THAT FAITH HAS COME, WE ARE NO LONGER UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF THE LAW" (Gal. 3:25).

"YOU HAVE BEEN SEVERED FROM CHRIST, YOU WHO ARE SEEKING TO BE JUSTIFIED BY LAW; YOU HAVE FALLEN FROM GRACE" (Gal. 5:4).


"IF YOU ARE LED BY THE SPIRIT YOU ARE NOT UNDER THE LAW" (Gal. 5:18).


"WHATEVER THE LAW SAYS, IT SPEAKS TO THOSE WHO ARE UNDER THE LAW " (Rom. 3:19).

"THOSE WHO ARE CIRCUMCISED [JEWS] DO NOT EVEN KEEP THE LAW THEMSELVES" (Gal. 6:11).

"IF RIGHTEOUSNESS COULD BE GAINED THROUGH [KEEPING] THE LAW, CHRIST DIED FOR NOTHING!" (Gal. 2:21).

"NO ONE WILL BE DECLARED RIGHTEOUS IN HIS [GOD'S] SIGHT BY OBSERVING THE LAW" (Rom. 3:20).

"SIN SHALL NOT BE YOUR MASTER, BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT UNDER LAW, BUT UNDER GRACE" (Rom. 6:14).


You say that it is only the Law of Moses but the verse I posted before clearly addressed the ten commandments....

The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself."
Thanks, saved me some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2010, 02:01 PM
 
Location: South Jordan, Utah
6,801 posts, read 7,363,517 times
Reputation: 2960
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
OK listen closely, because I'm only gonna say it once!!!

"IT IS LAWFUL TO DO GOOD ON THE SABBATH!!!!


GOD BLESS!!!
DALE
But if you use electricity, gas, water or internet you are causing others to work. Do you shut it all off?

You should put up an Eruv, I used to see the line around light poles in my old area. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eruv
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2010, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Rapid City, SD
723 posts, read 884,056 times
Reputation: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
But if you use electricity, gas, water or internet you are causing others to work. Do you shut it all off?

You should put up an Eruv, I used to see the line around light poles in my old area. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eruv

I did not know there was a "little person" living under my house clamping my water hose!!

I hope the water company pays him good!!


DALE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2010, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,667,088 times
Reputation: 1699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
I always thought you weren't supposed to work on the sabbath, but it was ok to take a nap, relax with a good book, go fishing, or whatever you enjoy, but YLT says you aren't supposed to be "doing thine own pleasure." That sure rules out a lot of things! I guess I would be keeping the Sabbath by working in the yard and cleaning the house, since that's not doing my own pleasure. Also, is it just "business" you shouldn't speak of like the translation above, or anything, like it sounds in YLT?

Isaiah 58:13

13If thou dost turn from the sabbath thy foot, Doing thine own pleasure on My holy day, And hast cried to the sabbath, `A delight,' To the holy of Jehovah, `Honoured,' And hast honoured it, without doing thine own ways, Without finding thine own pleasure, And speaking a word.
You shouldn't be doing anything apparently because it all falls under either your pleasure or you work....

Luckily back then they didn't have the world going round because people work 7 out of 7 days a week... If someone isn't manning the power station... how would we survive... I really don't think an unmanned nuclear reactor is a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top