U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 02:23 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,668,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
I did not know there was a "little person" living under my house clamping my water hose!!

I hope the water company pays him good!!

DALE
Realistically there was no need to work on the sabbath but now if we were to have everyone stop working one day there would be a few problems... okay maybe more than a few.

So really sabbath keepers RELY on the non-sabbath keepers to do the dirty work...

BTW - someone is working at a utility company everyday of the week.. that someone is keeping your utilities going.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 02:32 PM

1,897 posts, read 1,770,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Realistically there was no need to work on the sabbath but now if we were to have everyone stop working one day there would be a few problems... okay maybe more than a few.

So really sabbath keepers RELY on the non-sabbath keepers to do the dirty work...

BTW - someone is working at a utility company everyday of the week.. that someone is keeping your utilities going.

That's true, and if paper mills had to shut down for 24 hours and then start back up, you would NOT want to pay the price of toilet paper! There might even be a shortage...

Old 07-07-2010, 02:34 PM

723 posts, read 884,167 times
Quote:

So you truly believe that our power stays on because someone is cranking the gears?? Nobody has to work to keep it on, only to turn it back on if it goes out!!! Or to fix a problem due to weather!!! Other than that there is no reason for them to be working. Even in this case I do not make anyone work, that would be the electric company!! If they took the sabbath off the power would remain on, and if a problem occurs, I am well prepared to deal with it for 1 day!!! Well I hope the guy that keeps my electric on doesn't get tired or I might lose power for a few seconds while he switches with the next guy!!

Uh oh, I might have to restart my computer....

Old 07-07-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
That's true, and if paper mills had to shut down for 24 hours and then start back up, you would NOT want to pay the price of toilet paper! There might even be a shortage...
I can't believe that people actually think that if everyone took the sabbath off we would just have absolute chaos..

Even with a shortage of TP, I've got plenty of napkins, papertowels, and "gulp" newspaper

I'm sure God would make sure I would find a way to wipe my !!!

DALE

Old 07-07-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I can't believe that people actually think that if everyone took the sabbath off we would just have absolute chaos..

Even with a shortage of TP, I've got plenty of napkins, papertowels, and "gulp" newspaper

DALE
I think our CULTURE would be significantly affected if there wasn't anyone willing to work on that one day.

When Moses came down from the mount it was a totally different economic structure...

Why hold on to another culture's celebrations... is there something wrong with my going to help my 80 year old grandma on Saturday... mowing her lawn, helping her prepare meals for the week...

What about police and firemen... do you want the firehouse empty on Saturday?

The archaic sabbath keeping makes sense in a close community but in our communities now it doesn't make a lick of sense...

However.. you can do as you please, as I will.

Saying that in order to be a Christian you must keep the sabbath is just rubbish... IMO

Old 07-07-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
So you truly believe that our power stays on because someone is cranking the gears?? Nobody has to work to keep it on, only to turn it back on if it goes out!!! Or to fix a problem due to weather!!! Other than that there is no reason for them to be working. Even in this case I do not make anyone work, that would be the electric company!! If they took the sabbath off the power would remain on, and if a problem occurs, I am well prepared to deal with it for 1 day!!! Well I hope the guy that keeps my electric on doesn't get tired or I might lose power for a few seconds while he switches with the next guy!!

Uh oh, I might have to restart my computer....
Hey! perhaps your computer (drones) can do all the work for everyone on saturday then we would be free to take a nap, read a book, or play video games!

Old 07-07-2010, 03:21 PM

2,739 posts, read 7,849,979 times
Quote:
YES!!! Friday sundown to Saturday sundown!!

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE

Uh...Houston...we have a slight problem...

If that definition of the sabbath is correct, then that means A LOT of us who live up in the northern latitudes (such as Alaska, northern Canada and Europe, etc) are forced to work on the sabbath! Why? Because....the sun sets BEFORE the end of the normal work hours on Friday! (the sabbath begins before the end of our work-day) We see the sun set around 2:30PM here in mid-December...and it rises around 11AM the next day...

Furthermore, let's examine what happens if you happen to live further north, such as Barrow, Ak, for example: The sun sets one day in mid-November, and then does not rise again until near the end of January!!! That's right: about two months of perpetual darkness: day and night are both dark!
Does that then mean their "sabbath" lasts about two months, during that season of the year?...

And....(as if that wasn't enough), around the summer solstice in June the sun does not set AT ALL! 24 hrs of sunshine! (Yep: sun still shining brightly at midnight, at 1AM, at 2AM, at 3AM, at 4AM, etc, etc) Therefore, no sabbath at all in the summer months???

Barrow, Alaska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers
Bud
Seward, Alaska

Old 07-07-2010, 03:23 PM

1,897 posts, read 1,770,732 times
Quote:

DALE
Actually, shutting down a paper mill (and probably the same with lots of manufacturing plants) would involve one full day to bring operations down, plus the shutdown day for the Sabbath, plus the next day to bring the machines back up. That equals 3 days of production downtime. There really would be a big difference in our world, but like you said, God can provide. I have no doubt about that, but I still don't think this is realistic in our world, or that God expects it to be that way. I think we are supposed to keep the Sabbath in our hearts, and every day, not just one. That's how I see it, but to each his own view.

P.S. There might be a shortage of napkins, paper towels, etc, too.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Paul (a Jew) said, "I MYSELF AM NOT UNDER THE LAW" (1 Cor. 9:20).

"ALL WHO RELY ON OBSERVING THE LAW ARE UNDER A CURSE" (Gal. 3:10).

"CHRIST REDEEMED US FROM THE CURSE OF THE LAW" (Gal. 3:13).

"NOW THAT FAITH HAS COME, WE ARE NO LONGER UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF THE LAW" (Gal. 3:25).

"YOU HAVE BEEN SEVERED FROM CHRIST, YOU WHO ARE SEEKING TO BE JUSTIFIED BY LAW; YOU HAVE FALLEN FROM GRACE" (Gal. 5:4).

"IF YOU ARE LED BY THE SPIRIT YOU ARE NOT UNDER THE LAW" (Gal. 5:18).

"WHATEVER THE LAW SAYS, IT SPEAKS TO THOSE WHO ARE UNDER THE LAW " (Rom. 3:19).

"THOSE WHO ARE CIRCUMCISED [JEWS] DO NOT EVEN KEEP THE LAW THEMSELVES" (Gal. 6:11).

"IF RIGHTEOUSNESS COULD BE GAINED THROUGH [KEEPING] THE LAW, CHRIST DIED FOR NOTHING!" (Gal. 2:21).

"NO ONE WILL BE DECLARED RIGHTEOUS IN HIS [GOD'S] SIGHT BY OBSERVING THE LAW" (Rom. 3:20).

"SIN SHALL NOT BE YOUR MASTER, BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT UNDER LAW, BUT UNDER GRACE" (Rom. 6:14).

You say that it is only the Law of Moses but the verse I posted before clearly addressed the ten commandments....

The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

People really need to read the bible and stop relying on singular verses or parts of a verse to make ridiculous claims!!! I will bring up each verse you have presented and smash them down!!!!

1. "I MYSELF AM NOT UNDER THE LAW" (1 Cor. 9:20).

Simply put, this is the end of chapter 9 if you continue to read chapter 10 which follows, it speaks of the law of Moses and continues throughout the chapter speaking of meat offerings, drink offerings, and yearly sacrifices....... Book of the law of Moses!!!

2. "ALL WHO RELY ON OBSERVING THE LAW ARE UNDER A CURSE" (Gal. 3:10).

You really shouldnt copy and paste partial verses!! The full verse of Galatian 3:10 says: "For as many as are of the works of the law are under a curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in THE BOOK OF THE LAW to do them." .............................Book of the law of Moses!!!

3. "CHRIST REDEEMED US FROM THE CURSE OF THE LAW" (Gal. 3:13).

This is a continuence of what law it is talking about 3 verses earlier..............Book of the law of Moses!!!

4. "NOW THAT FAITH HAS COME, WE ARE NO LONGER UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF THE LAW" (Gal. 3:25).

Same chapter speaking of the same law!!!.......... Book of the law of Moses!!!

5. "YOU HAVE BEEN SEVERED FROM CHRIST, YOU WHO ARE SEEKING TO BE JUSTIFIED BY LAW; YOU HAVE FALLEN FROM GRACE" (Gal. 5:4).

Galatians chapter 5 just before the verse you posted says: 1. "Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the YOKE OF BONDAGE. 2. I paul say unto you, that if ye be CIRCUMCISED, Christ shall profit you nothing. 3. For I testify again to every man that is CIRCUMCISED, that he is a debtor to do the whole law."

I have discussed which law was the yolk of bondage as given by the apostles in post #24 (refer to it if you need), and circumcision is in the same law.......................Book of the law of Moses!!!

I could show you all the verses that prove these to be verses being used to lead astray true believers.......

Does anybody actually read the bible anymore????

It is just pick the verses that tickles my ear!!

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE

Old 07-07-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
Actually, shutting down a paper mill (and probably the same with lots of manufacturing plants) would involve one full day to bring operations down, plus the shutdown day for the Sabbath, plus the next day to bring the machines back up. That equals 3 days of production downtime. There really would be a big difference in our world, but like you said, God can provide. I have no doubt about that, but I still don't think this is realistic in our world, or that God expects it to be that way. I think we are supposed to keep the Sabbath in our hearts, and every day, not just one. That's how I see it, but to each his own view.

P.S. There might be a shortage of napkins, paper towels, etc, too.
Yes there would be, but if everyone is not buying that day then it would only stay on the shelf anyway!! So no buying, no shortage!!! back at cha!!

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or