U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 04:31 PM

6,806 posts, read 7,410,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
Legalism???????????

So I can have idols???

I can murder??

I can steal??

I can worship other Gods??

I can commit adultery??

I can lie??

I don't understand??

You pick and choose which commandments are to be followed??

Which ones of these are legalism and which are not??

Lord hilgi, can you please tell me!!!
Nope, you canít sin once in order to enter heaven, you must follow them all from birth on.

Thank God he sent Jesus to die for us so now when God looks at us he doesnít see our sinful flesh but he sees Jesusí work on the cross.

Quote:
Is it doing good to have someone on call for an electrical emergency to save lives???

Or is it bad??

My opinion says it is good, and Jesus said:

"it is lawful to do good on the sabbath"

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE

As I said, we are all intertwined to the point that each of us does something that may help another person in some way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 04:36 PM

723 posts, read 888,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Nope, you canít sin once in order to enter heaven, you must follow them all from birth on.

Thank God he sent Jesus to die for us so now when God looks at us he doesnít see our sinful flesh but he sees Jesusí work on the cross.

As I said, we are all intertwined to the point that each of us does something that may help another person in some way.

Tell that to the Hitman!!!!

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE

Old 07-07-2010, 04:43 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,725,769 times
Quote:
People really need to read the bible and stop relying on singular verses or parts of a verse to make ridiculous claims!!! I will bring up each verse you have presented and smash them down!!!!

1. "I MYSELF AM NOT UNDER THE LAW" (1 Cor. 9:20).

Simply put, this is the end of chapter 9 if you continue to read chapter 10 which follows, it speaks of the law of Moses and continues throughout the chapter speaking of meat offerings, drink offerings, and yearly sacrifices....... Book of the law of Moses!!!

2. "ALL WHO RELY ON OBSERVING THE LAW ARE UNDER A CURSE" (Gal. 3:10).

You really shouldnt copy and paste partial verses!! The full verse of Galatian 3:10 says: "For as many as are of the works of the law are under a curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in THE BOOK OF THE LAW to do them." .............................Book of the law of Moses!!!

3. "CHRIST REDEEMED US FROM THE CURSE OF THE LAW" (Gal. 3:13).

This is a continuence of what law it is talking about 3 verses earlier..............Book of the law of Moses!!!

4. "NOW THAT FAITH HAS COME, WE ARE NO LONGER UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF THE LAW" (Gal. 3:25).

Same chapter speaking of the same law!!!.......... Book of the law of Moses!!!

5. "YOU HAVE BEEN SEVERED FROM CHRIST, YOU WHO ARE SEEKING TO BE JUSTIFIED BY LAW; YOU HAVE FALLEN FROM GRACE" (Gal. 5:4).

Galatians chapter 5 just before the verse you posted says: 1. "Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the YOKE OF BONDAGE. 2. I paul say unto you, that if ye be CIRCUMCISED, Christ shall profit you nothing. 3. For I testify again to every man that is CIRCUMCISED, that he is a debtor to do the whole law."

I have discussed which law was the yolk of bondage as given by the apostles in post #24 (refer to it if you need), and circumcision is in the same law.......................Book of the law of Moses!!!

I could show you all the verses that prove these to be verses being used to lead astray true believers.......

Does anybody actually read the bible anymore????

It is just pick the verses that tickles my ear!!

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE

Repeat: You say that it is only the Law of Moses but the verse I posted before clearly addressed the ten commandments....

The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

Old 07-07-2010, 04:44 PM

4,345 posts, read 692,747 times
Quote:
If someone does not know what the sabbath is about, they will never understand what can and cannot be done on the sabbath, so no use trying to teach ignorance!!!

DALE
Dale the physical "types" are fulfilled in Christ

Physical Israel and the physical written on stone law is to be taught but it is only to bring us to Christ.

When we keep the spirit of the law written on our hearts, 'Love God and love our neighbour as ourselves' we do not need the physical Saturday sabbath or need to replace it with a Sunday sabbath - we rest in Christ.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:52 PM

139 posts, read 172,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budinak View Post
uh...houston...we have a slight problem...

If that definition of the sabbath is correct, then that means a lot of us who live up in the northern latitudes (such as alaska, northern canada and europe, etc) are forced to work on the sabbath! Why? Because....the sun sets before the end of the normal work hours on friday! (the sabbath begins before the end of our work-day) we see the sun set around 2:30pm here in mid-december...and it rises around 11am the next day...

Furthermore, let's examine what happens if you happen to live further north, such as barrow, ak, for example: The sun sets one day in mid-november, and then does not rise again until near the end of january!!! That's right: About two months of perpetual darkness: Day and night are both dark!
Does that then mean their "sabbath" lasts about two months, during that season of the year?...

And....(as if that wasn't enough), around the summer solstice in june the sun does not set at all! 24 hrs of sunshine! (yep: Sun still shining brightly at midnight, at 1am, at 2am, at 3am, at 4am, etc, etc) therefore, no sabbath at all in the summer months???

barrow, alaska - wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

cheers
bud
seward, alaska
lol

Old 07-07-2010, 04:53 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,725,769 times
Quote:
You must believe that it is bad to save lives huh??

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE
I used to work at one of the major hospitals in my area... there is no rest on saturday....The hospital still needed cleaning and that is not about saving lives.... can you imagine if you had to go to the hospital on sunday to find it hadn't been cleaned?

You want to make a rule but then make exceptions to the rule at the same time.... better to just let the rule go by the wayside then to let all the non-sabbath keepers do the dirty work on the sabbath. I bet you anything that a sabbath keeper would make use of all the non-sabbath keepers when they are in need.

You never replied to my helping my grandmother mow her lawn... is that work or doing good? To me it feels like work... but to my grandma it is doing good....

Old 07-07-2010, 04:54 PM

6,806 posts, read 7,410,938 times
Quote:
Tell that to the Hitman!!!!

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE
If I find a Christian hitman I will look into it.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:56 PM

701 posts, read 681,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
However.. you can do as you please, as I will.

Saying that in order to be a Christian you must keep the sabbath is just rubbish... IMO
Judges 21:25 "In those days there was no king in Israel: every man did that which was right in his own eyes."

There was no greater times of chaos in Israel than when they chose to do things as they would like instead of as God would like.

I could list nine of 10C and i've never in my life met a Christian who would challenge any of them, or try to reason them away, or even relegate them to a place of less importance. However this 4thC stands alone, as one that is referred to by Christians as just "rubbish". Why then would God have carved it in stone with His vey own finger? He had Moses write everything else down on paper, why not include this 4thC with those ordinances? If the specific day didn't matter to Him, then why did He specify a day, and then carve it in stone?
If the 10C is God's Holy and Eternal law, then don't you think the Devil would try as subtly as possible to destroy or undermine it? Hmmmmm, which of the 10C would be the easiest for him to attack? Like I said, it is really hard to get Christians to think that any of the other 9 are acceptable to violate, but that 4th one. I mean Satan knows that he doesn't even need to get them to disregard the whole commandment, heck just try to change the day they keep.

John 14:15
If ye love me, keep my commandments.

John 14:21
He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

John 15:10
If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

1 John 2:3
And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

1 John 2:4
He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1 John 3:22
And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.

1 John 3:24
And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

1 John 5:2
By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.

1 John 5:3
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

Revelation 12:17
And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Revelation 14:12
Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

So which commandments are being referenced here? Has anyone ever read a text in which the word commandment was used, yet did not refer to the 10? I know that many Christians I have talked with immediately want to jump to "Love thy neighbour as thyself" and "Love God with all your heart", as Christ mentioned those as being the "two great commandments" however, anyone who has studied scripture knows that Christ was simply quoting the Old Testament and summarizing the 10C. So, those "two great commandments", are still referencing the 10. The entire Bible, both Old and New Testaments make it pretty clear how eternal God's law is.

Leviticus 19:18
Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.

Deuteronomy 6:5
And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

One final note regarding the commandments. Many seem to think that the 10C did not exist prior to Sinai, but I will leave you with one more text referring to commandments that predates the existence of Israel. Take note of how commandments and laws seem to be different. Something to consider when quoting texts that say the law was done away with; maybe those text aren't talking about the 10C after all.

Genesis 26:5
Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:58 PM

4,345 posts, read 692,747 times
Quote:
You must believe that it is bad to save lives huh??

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE
But those nurses and doctors are earning money by working on the Sabbath days - they do good and also it is how they earn their living to provide for their families.......

Old 07-07-2010, 05:01 PM

701 posts, read 681,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Keeping electricity on helps to save lives, so we need people to work for the electric company. I bet in one way or another we can all be intertwined in away where what we do somehow helps another person. Hence we are all doing good we can use your get out of hell free clause.

Or we can just thank God for sending Jesus to free us from all of these petty legalisms and get back to loving God and loving others.
Just thought I would quote something I wrote in another thread as it is an appropriate response to this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
Regarding all the talk of legalism, I must ask all Christians this question; Why do you try to behave in a Christ like manner? Why are you nice to people? Why do you try to "do unto others as you would have them do unto you"? Why do you try to "do what Jesus would do"? Are you trying to do all these things in order to be saved or are they done as a reflection of your relationship with Christ? Why is keeping the Sabbath holy any different? Why is that considered legalism, yet helping to feed the hungary is not? Is refraining from using the Lord's name in vain legalism? What about not stealing? Is that legalism? The Sabbath being holy goes all the way back to creation and even predates the existence of sin in this world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or