U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2010, 05:02 PM

4,225 posts, read 650,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
Legalism???????????

So I can have idols???

I can murder??

I can steal??

I can worship other Gods??

I can commit adultery??

I can lie??

I don't understand??

You pick and choose which commandments are to be followed??

Which ones of these are legalism and which are not??

Lord hilgi, can you please tell me!!!
Please Dale -- how is any of those loving God and loving your neighbour as yourself? murder, theft, adultery -- If you think they are loving and of the spirit I do not want the Spirit that you are following .........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 05:42 PM

32,221 posts, read 21,091,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
If I find a Christian hitman I will look into it.
You don't have to look very far , thankfully nowdays they can only speak death to us rather than take us out literally , because they would never getaway with it. .

Old 07-07-2010, 06:00 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,757,671 times
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave
Quote:
The following "Question" was asked of John MacArthur Jr., the pastor of Grace Community Church, Sun Valley, California. Copyright 2001 by John MacArthur Jr., All Rights Reserved.

Question

Are the Sabbath laws binding on Christians today?

Answer

We believe the Old Testament regulations governing Sabbath observances are ceremonial, not moral, aspects of the law. As such, they are no longer in force, but have passed away along with the sacrificial system, the Levitical priesthood, and all other aspects of Moses' law that prefigured Christ. Here are the reasons we hold this view.

In Colossians 2:16-17, Paul explicitly refers to the Sabbath as a shadow of Christ, which is no longer binding since the substance (Christ) has come. It is quite clear in those verses that the weekly Sabbath is in view. The phrase "a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day" refers to the annual, monthly, and weekly holy days of the Jewish calendar (cf. 1 Chronicles 23:31; 2 Chronicles 2:4; 31:3; Ezekiel 45:17; Hosea 2:11). If Paul were referring to special ceremonial dates of rest in that passage, why would he have used the word "Sabbath?" He had already mentioned the ceremonial dates when he spoke of festivals and new moons.

The Sabbath was the sign to Israel of the Mosaic Covenant (Exodus 31:16-17; Ezekiel 20:12; Nehemiah 9:14). Since we are now under the New Covenant (Hebrews 8), we are no longer required to observe the sign of the Mosaic Covenant.

The New Testament never commands Christians to observe the Sabbath.
__________________________________________________ ______

Ah,ha!! I always figured John MacArthur would wind up going to hell on a technicality.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:01 PM

5,499 posts, read 4,571,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
THE BOOK OF THE ACTS OF THE APOSTLES SAYS; YES!!

"But when they departed from Perga, they came to Antioch in Pisidia, and went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and sat down."
(ACTS13:14)

"For they that dwell at Jerusalem, and their rulers, because they knew him not, nor yet the voices of the prophets which are read every sabbath day, they have fulfilled them in condemning him."
(ACTS 13:27)

"And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.
(ACTS 13:42)

"And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God."
(ACTS 13:44)

"For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day."
(ACTS 15:21)

"And on the sabbath we went out of the city by a river side, where prayer was wont to be made; and we sat down, and spake unto the women which resorted thither."
(ACTS 16:13)

"And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,"
(ACTS 17:2)

"And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks."
(ACTS 18:14)

So the book of the Acts of the Apostles clearly tells us that after Jesus, they still kept the sabbath, and preached throughout the world on the sabbath day!!

So why do we ignore the fourth commandment which tells us to remember His sabbath and to keep it HOLY??

Just something to ponder!!!

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE
If "The Almighty God" specifically asks for one day out of all my days in reverence to his holiness...and I give him all my days and all my love and all my thoughts and all my being to his holiness as well...would he not smile and prefer that instead? THIS IS HOW I WANT TO LOVE HIM!

When your neighbor asks you to give him an inch...give him a hundred miles instead...

Blessings to ALL...

Old 07-07-2010, 06:56 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,417,556 times
[quote=HalfNelson;14940066]Judges 21:25 "In those days there was no king in Israel: every man did that which was right in his own eyes."

There was no greater times of chaos in Israel than when they chose to do things as they would like instead of as God would like.

I could list nine of 10C and i've never in my life met a Christian who would challenge any of them, or try to reason them away, or even relegate them to a place of less importance. However this 4thC stands alone, as one that is referred to by Christians as just "rubbish". Why then would God have carved it in stone with His vey own finger? He had Moses write everything else down on paper, why not include this 4thC with those ordinances? If the specific day didn't matter to Him, then why did He specify a day, and then carve it in stone?
If the 10C is God's Holy and Eternal law, then don't you think the Devil would try as subtly as possible to destroy or undermine it? Hmmmmm, which of the 10C would be the easiest for him to attack? Like I said, it is really hard to get Christians to think that any of the other 9 are acceptable to violate, but that 4th one. I mean Satan knows that he doesn't even need to get them to disregard the whole commandment, heck just try to change the day they keep.

John 14:15
If ye love me, keep my commandments.

John 14:21
He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

John 15:10
If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

1 John 2:3
And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

1 John 2:4
He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1 John 3:22
And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.

1 John 3:24
And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

1 John 5:2
By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.

1 John 5:3
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

Revelation 12:17
And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Revelation 14:12
Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

So which commandments are being referenced here? Has anyone ever read a text in which the word commandment was used, yet did not refer to the 10? I know that many Christians I have talked with immediately want to jump to "Love thy neighbour as thyself" and "Love God with all your heart", as Christ mentioned those as being the "two great commandments" however, anyone who has studied scripture knows that Christ was simply quoting the Old Testament and summarizing the 10C. So, those "two great commandments", are still referencing the 10. The entire Bible, both Old and New Testaments make it pretty clear how eternal God's law is.

Leviticus 19:18
Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.

Deuteronomy 6:5
And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

One final note regarding the commandments. Many seem to think that the 10C did not exist prior to Sinai, but I will leave you with one more text referring to commandments that predates the existence of Israel. Take note of how commandments and laws seem to be different. Something to consider when quoting texts that say the law was done away with; maybe those text aren't talking about the 10C after all.

Genesis 26:5
Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.[/quote]

...A brother...God Bless you HalfNelson.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:17 PM

8Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. 9The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet,"[a] and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself."[b] 10Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Verna it is not hard to discern what is commandment is "love your neighbor as yourself"

How do we do this ? by blessing them that curse us , by loving them that hate us, by going the extra mile , if someone strike you are the cheek , turn the other cheek , do you see the common thread?.

You trying to change the fullfillment of the law to anything but loving your neighbor as yourself and you are going against the scripture.

It's not hard "love is the fullfillment of the law",.

Sciotamick love is the fullfilment of the love , not defending the doctrines and traditions of men , neither is defending the scriptures come to think of it.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:26 PM

5Then some of the believers who belonged to the party of the Pharisees stood up and said, "The Gentiles must be circumcised AND REQUIRED to obey the law of Moses." 6The apostles and elders met to consider this question. 7After much discussion, Peter got up and addressed them: "Brothers, you know that some time ago God made a choice among you that the Gentiles might hear from my lips the message of the gospel and believe. 8God, who knows the heart, showed that he accepted them by giving the Holy Spirit to them, just as he did to us. 9He made no distinction between us and them, for he purified their hearts by faith. 10Now then, WHY DO YOU TRY AND TEST GOD BY putting on the necks of the disciples a yoke that neither we nor our fathers have been able to bear? 11NO! We believe it is through the grace of our Lord Jesus that we are saved, just as they are." Acts 15

Does this need interpreting ?

Last edited by pcamps; 07-07-2010 at 07:38 PM..

Old 07-07-2010, 07:30 PM

5,499 posts, read 4,571,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
5Then some of the believers who belonged to the party of the Pharisees stood up and said, "The Gentiles must be circumcised and required to obey the law of Moses." 6The apostles and elders met to consider this question. 7After much discussion, Peter got up and addressed them: "Brothers, you know that some time ago God made a choice among you that the Gentiles might hear from my lips the message of the gospel and believe. 8God, who knows the heart, showed that he accepted them by giving the Holy Spirit to them, just as he did to us. 9He made no distinction between us and them, for he purified their hearts by faith. 10Now then, why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of the disciples a yoke that neither we nor our fathers have been able to bear? 11NO! We believe it is through the grace of our Lord Jesus that we are saved, just as they are."

Does this need interpreting ?
No...not if the light on

Old 07-07-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
No...not if the light on
There is so much in these few verses of scripture it's amazing.

Look who it was trying to burden the believers by putting a yoke around their necks , yes you guessed right believing Pharisees.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:10 PM

723 posts, read 884,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Please Dale -- how is any of those loving God and loving your neighbour as yourself? murder, theft, adultery -- If you think they are loving and of the spirit I do not want the Spirit that you are following .........
meerkat,

I was obviously being sarcastic...............

God asked that we keep the sabbath holy. I love God so I will do what he asks of me.......

If I were to ignore what God asked of me, then how could I love him???

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or