U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 12:00 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,774,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Is this it:
Mark 9:24 Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"

It is strange that he says he believes and then asks for help with unbelief.

Weymouth New Testament
Immediately the father cried out, "I do believe: strengthen my weak faith."

Also the disciples were called by Jesus "ye of little faith"... Hopefully THEY were saved!
Thanks, Katjonjjj. Yep that's the one. This is one of those scriptures that seem particularly sweet to me in the King James version (not that I prefer it always)... And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief. It is one of those astonishing scriptures that makes you really think about faith and mercy and how weak we all can be in faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Status: "Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow" (set 1 day ago)

16,413 posts, read 8,940,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Thanks, Katjonjjj. Yep that's the one. This is one of those scriptures that seem particularly sweet to me in the King James version (not that I prefer it always)... And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief. It is one of those astonishing scriptures that makes you really think about faith and mercy and how weak we all can be in faith.
Yeah, I lean on that one a lot!

Old 07-08-2010, 12:14 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,691,191 times
Quote:
Another scripture that stumps bible scholars:

Mark 10:21 Jesus looked at him and loved him. "One thing you lack," he said. "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

Interesting that Jesus loved him while telling him that he should give his riches to the poor and follow him... a requirement not made of other rich men...

Old 07-08-2010, 01:16 PM

16,300 posts, read 25,011,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
IMO certain atheist's opinion about the nature of God is like a five year old's understanding of what his parents do in the privacy of their bedroom.

(not aimed at June)
I'm sure you can guess my opinion of adults defending the nature of god, and his works, i.e., global floods, and other absurdities defended here

Unlike in the 5 year old's parents bedroom door, there is nothing behind the deity's imaginary door.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:56 PM

6,387 posts, read 5,300,932 times
Quote:
Amen to you, too, Heartsong!

Keep up the encouragements!

blessings,
brian

Old 07-08-2010, 05:33 PM

40,276 posts, read 26,858,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Unlike in the 5 year old's parents bedroom door, there is nothing behind the deity's imaginary door.
It would be helpful if you had a basis (even in subjective experience) for this certainty . . . but I am confident you do not. In that sense the theists (NOT your favorite religious foils) frequently are in a superior position . . . having such subjective experiential basis for their certainty.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:46 PM

16,300 posts, read 25,011,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It would be helpful if you had a basis (even in subjective experience) for this certainty . . . but I am confident you do not. In that sense the theists (NOT your favorite religious foils) frequently are in a superior position . . . having such subjective experiential basis for their certainty.
It's almost laughable, every clique (simply for lack of a better term, at least at this point after a good dinner and a couple glasses of wine ) has their own god/deity, and even paying attention to the different sub cliques of what is commonly refereed to as christian seem to have huge variances.

My basis, you challenge, is the complete and utter lack of evidence of the existence of any of the multitude of deities that believers of every ilk seem to believe exist.

I know that proving the negative is tricky, subject to a lot of word games, mind games, etc. but proving the positive when it sure looks like you have all the evidence for the negative is humorous, don't ya think?

Old 07-08-2010, 07:50 PM

7,816 posts, read 10,722,259 times
Uh, guys?

"Three questions?" = Please stay on topic?

Okay?

"Yes June...."

Thanks!

Old 07-08-2010, 08:06 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,691,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Uh, guys?

Okay?

"Yes June...."

Thanks!

*katjonjj runs from thread screaming "OKAY!"*

Okay!

You're welcome.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:40 PM

40,276 posts, read 26,858,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Uh, guys?

Okay?

"Yes June...."

Thanks!

PPPpppphhhhllllllbbbbbttttt!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity