U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 06:12 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,825,658 times

Advertisements

...it's actually for me. I want to learn more about the Bible, but I need to read the stories in simplistic form before I actually start trying to read the Bible.

Can someone recommend a good children's book for me to start with? I would like it to stay as close to the literal Bible stories as possible and for it to have as many stories as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 06:26 PM

40,209 posts, read 26,833,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
...it's actually for me. I want to learn more about the Bible, but I need to read the stories in simplistic form before I actually start trying to read the Bible.

Can someone recommend a good children's book for me to start with? I would like it to stay as close to the literal Bible stories as possible and for it to have as many stories as possible.
Sorry . . . there is enough of that around as it is.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Status: "Welcome foolish mortals, to the Haunted Mansion..." (set 1 day ago)

16,403 posts, read 8,934,705 times
Bible for Dummies

Not that you're a dummy...

Old 07-07-2010, 06:35 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,688,207 times
Quote:

So you want a bible with no injected theology? I don't think that is possible.

However, before you buy an expensive specialty bible try going here:

Online Bible for Children

Child Bible Story Online

Childrens Bible

But even then they have stuff like:

"Jesus Christ vs. Muhammed"

Which is, IMO, just racial propaganda...

Old 07-07-2010, 07:22 PM

5,499 posts, read 4,582,184 times
Quote:

Violett...I have a collection of bible stories called "Children's Bible Classics" (from Genesis to the First Easter)...by Thomas Nelson Publishers in Nashville, since 1798.

My children and grandchildren grew up reading these stories and benefited from this quite well...

Old 07-07-2010, 07:30 PM

32,321 posts, read 21,173,799 times
Coming to a christian book store near you !!!!!!!!!!!

I've Decided to Write My Own Series of Rapture Novels

Old 07-07-2010, 07:34 PM

5,499 posts, read 4,582,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Coming to a christian book store near you !!!!!!!!!!!

I've Decided to Write My Own Series of Rapture Novels

Huh? You have to take it up with trillo and hope he doesn't bite...

Old 07-07-2010, 08:12 PM

313 posts, read 763,721 times
Here is a beautifully illustrated book. I read it myself before I read it to my kids, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

My Book of Bible Stories

Its 116 Bible accounts appear in the order of their historical occurrence. The book is especially designed for young children, yet everyone can benefit from the book’s more than 125 beautiful illustrations. 256 pages

Publications Available - Jehovah's Witnesses Official Web Site
Just scroll down the page until you come to the book.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:53 AM

528 posts, read 686,893 times
Quote:

The Bible Story by Arthur S. Maxwell. www.THEBIBLESTORY.COM
You might also want to read Francine Rivers books on the women of faith (Rahab, Ruth, Tamar, Bathshabba, and Mary She also wrote some mens books, but I haven't read the mens books yet). Her books are awesome! They are easy reads and have a lot of detail. I loved them. I also had my 16yr old read them & she is on her 2nd book without me asking her. She read Rehab first & is now reading Ruth.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:02 AM

528 posts, read 686,893 times
Oh my dang. Did I violate a rule by listing that www - link? Sorry mods if I did. TheBibleStory books by Arthur s. Maxwell are actually a serious of Bible stories that make up the Bible, but they are great. I was brought up with them & carried on the tradition with my kids. Now the books don't answer all the questions. Once when my son was 3 I guess he had heard so much about God & Jesus he wanted to know more so he asked me, "does God like pizza?" That wasn't in the book :-). But really --- they are great books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity