Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 10:12 PM

78 posts, read 107,406 times

Advertisements

I was asked a question by a friend today, and thought i would ask it here.

The question was about these two scriptures:

John 4:12 Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle? 13 Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again: 14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

Joh 6:35 - And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

The question posed was that: Is Jesus telling us that if in this life when we accept Him as our saviour and accept His words we never thirst or hunger?

The poser said he was going to give a few days to ponder I have thoughts about these passages but i just can't get the thoughts from my fingers and through the keyboard.

i would like to hear others thoughts on what they think the main message was being given here.

Any and all thoughts welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 11:34 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,922,456 times
How bizarre. I just sent a message to someone with this exact subject.

Just my opinion/view.
And I'm a believer in Universal reconciliation so my beliefs about that will be intertwined in my view:

thirst and hunger... physical thirst and hunger... the people will again have physical thirst and hunger. (but He was alluding to the spiritual.)

But the thirst and hunger Jesus was talking about was, to put it in my own personal terms that speak to me: faith in the Creator's goodness. Faith in the Creator's love. Faith such that they will not SPIRITUALLY thirst or hunger again. Their thirst or hunger for peace in their hearts will be quenched.

Not ALL thirst or hunger.
Some are filled with love, surrounded by love now... so they do not feel the thirst. They do not feel the hunger. Love surrounds them. Well, doesn't it say "God IS Love"? The source of LOVE is... God. (in my view) Perhaps in the future... they will thirst. And they will seek to have that thirst quenched. In fact, many DO thirst and seek to have their thirst quenched... and they look to quench it in all of the wrong places (Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again). All want to be loved. And many search for it in all of the wrong places. Their thirst is quenched, but only temporarily, "they shall thirst again".

But only REAL LOVE can quench the thirst.
REAL LOVE (not the substitutes for love that the world offers) but REAL LOVE all originates from God. The love you have for your child, that is REAL LOVE. To me, I see God as being the SOURCE from where ALL LOVE flows.

So for some folks... love surrounds them, and maybe they don't thirst.

But for many who do, Jesus is saying.... go to the source... (the Creator).
You will never thirst again. You will be filled up. Peace:

14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life

To me... this is a beautiful analogy.

I know it rings very true for me, in my life and things I have been through, and times I have been surrounded by love, and times when I've felt the thirst.... and it wasn't fully quenched until I realized just how much LOVE He has for us. All of us. Once I had full faith in HIS goodness... my thirst was quenched.

And I'm glad that I walked through the desert and that thirst came upon me. (Psalm 34:18 God is close to the brokenhearted and saves those with a crushed spirit...) I'm glad that my thirst was so great that in my heart, I was feeling the thirst of ALL MANKIND within my one little heart, I'm glad I felt that... because in my heart, God quenched that thirst and it IS most definitely a "well of water springing up into everlasting life". I have absolute peace in my heart, faith in our Creator's goodness. Peace in my heart, knowing His love extends to all. No matter what. Every human being is a brother or sister. Love is REAL. Even if we all don't have our thirst quenched, We WILL. Guaranteed. I have faith in Him.
All will finally.... find what they've been looking for their whole life.
His plan is perfect.
And we're all each a wonderful and unique part of it.

sorry to ramble.
It's late.
I'm in "ponderific" mode.
hopefully I made some sense up there.
peace,
sparrow

Old 07-09-2010, 02:29 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,367,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
How bizarre. I just sent a message to someone with this exact subject.

Just my opinion/view.
And I'm a believer in Universal reconciliation so my beliefs about that will be intertwined in my view:

thirst and hunger... physical thirst and hunger... the people will again have physical thirst and hunger. (but He was alluding to the spiritual.)

But the thirst and hunger Jesus was talking about was, to put it in my own personal terms that speak to me: faith in the Creator's goodness. Faith in the Creator's love. Faith such that they will not SPIRITUALLY thirst or hunger again. Their thirst or hunger for peace in their hearts will be quenched.

Not ALL thirst or hunger.
Some are filled with love, surrounded by love now... so they do not feel the thirst. They do not feel the hunger. Love surrounds them. Well, doesn't it say "God IS Love"? The source of LOVE is... God. (in my view) Perhaps in the future... they will thirst. And they will seek to have that thirst quenched. In fact, many DO thirst and seek to have their thirst quenched... and they look to quench it in all of the wrong places (Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again). All want to be loved. And many search for it in all of the wrong places. Their thirst is quenched, but only temporarily, "they shall thirst again".

But only REAL LOVE can quench the thirst.
REAL LOVE (not the substitutes for love that the world offers) but REAL LOVE all originates from God. The love you have for your child, that is REAL LOVE. To me, I see God as being the SOURCE from where ALL LOVE flows.

So for some folks... love surrounds them, and maybe they don't thirst.

But for many who do, Jesus is saying.... go to the source... (the Creator).
You will never thirst again. You will be filled up. Peace:

14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life

To me... this is a beautiful analogy.

I know it rings very true for me, in my life and things I have been through, and times I have been surrounded by love, and times when I've felt the thirst.... and it wasn't fully quenched until I realized just how much LOVE He has for us. All of us. Once I had full faith in HIS goodness... my thirst was quenched.

And I'm glad that I walked through the desert and that thirst came upon me. (Psalm 34:18 God is close to the brokenhearted and saves those with a crushed spirit...) I'm glad that my thirst was so great that in my heart, I was feeling the thirst of ALL MANKIND within my one little heart, I'm glad I felt that... because in my heart, God quenched that thirst and it IS most definitely a "well of water springing up into everlasting life". I have absolute peace in my heart, faith in our Creator's goodness. Peace in my heart, knowing His love extends to all. No matter what. Every human being is a brother or sister. Love is REAL. Even if we all don't have our thirst quenched, We WILL. Guaranteed. I have faith in Him.
All will finally.... find what they've been looking for their whole life.
His plan is perfect.
And we're all each a wonderful and unique part of it.

sorry to ramble.
It's late.
I'm in "ponderific" mode.
hopefully I made some sense up there.
peace,
sparrow
Beautiful!! Amen!

Peace,
brian

Old 07-09-2010, 03:55 AM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,031 times
~Love is faith and wisdom
to give and to receive
to forgive and to wait
for love is truth and
forever lives to give
love's ecstasy
for all, through eternity seek~

Old 07-09-2010, 04:50 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,166 times
What comes to mind for me upon reading your OP is that beatitude:

"Blessed are they who hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled."

There are some things that the flesh hungers for (it's own stubborn way, selfish things, etc... that, if filled only bring us sorrow) - so that carnal hunger (whatever form it takes) is not 'Blessed" like the hunger and thirst for righteousness is. There appears to be a spiritual law in place in which selfish hunger/desire can never be full enough, never satiated, but the hunger for God can be satisfied/fulfilled. I think that is because in our core being - we were created to overflow with love as God pours himself into us - we pour out love - it's like a river flowing.

Heartsong

Old 07-09-2010, 06:15 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,659,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipidydoodaa View Post
I was asked a question by a friend today, and thought i would ask it here.

The question was about these two scriptures:

John 4:12 Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle? 13 Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again: 14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

Joh 6:35 - And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

The question posed was that: Is Jesus telling us that if in this life when we accept Him as our saviour and accept His words we never thirst or hunger?

The poser said he was going to give a few days to ponder I have thoughts about these passages but i just can't get the thoughts from my fingers and through the keyboard.

i would like to hear others thoughts on what they think the main message was being given here.

Any and all thoughts welcomed.
There was great hatred between the Samaritans and the Jews.

Samaria was a place for Jesus to rest halfway on His journey from Judea to Galilee...He sat to rest on a stone well. He asked the Samaritan woman for a drink, and she was surprised because He didn't show the anger of His nation against her.

So Christ took the occasion to teach her Divine things: he converted her by showing her her ignorance and sinfulness, and her need of a Saviour. By this living water is meant the Spirit.

The graces of the Spirit, and his comforts, satisfy the thirsting soul.

Whatever waters in the natural we drink, we shall thirst again.

But whoever partakes of the Spirit of grace, and the comforts of the gospel, shall never want that which will abundantly satisfy his soul.

Carnal hearts and minds are very ingenious in shifting off convictions, and keeping them from fastening..as she took what He was saying to her spiritually...literally. But how closely our Lord Jesus brings home the conviction to our conscience, just as He did her's! He severely reproved her present state of life. The woman acknowledged Christ to be a prophet.

The power of His word in searching the heart, and convincing the conscience of secret things, is a proof of Divine authority.

I always hunger and thirst for righteousness...it is never quenched...I can never get enough of this living water flowing through me...it is all that truly matters...it is an eternal thing to keep our minds upon and our hearts ever seeking for.

Blessings,
Verna.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:12 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,867,798 times
Jesus is telling us that when people thirst or hunger for God, they will never do that again after coming to and believing in Jesus Christ for we are filled and thus saved.

Matthew 5:6Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

Matthew 9: 17Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.

Philippians 1:Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

So whenever a teaching arise to seek after the Holy Spirit to be filled again or to seek a continual filling, is it no surprise that they hunger for more of God.. for more of that phenomenon? That means this extra is not of Him.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:27 AM

78 posts, read 107,406 times
Thanks guys for the responses. i believe when Gods' plan comes to His wanted goal, ALL will be redeemed.

My friend sent me by e mail his thought on this and we agree that the message is that when you accept Jesus as you saviour you are partaking of the "water" and will never thirst again.

He then directed me to Rev. 22 vs 17: And the Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" And let him who hears say, "Come!" And let him who thirsts come. Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely.

Now this is after the GWT judgement and people thrown into the LOF,

Who is being told to come and drink? It can't be the ones that have already partook, they will never thirst again,....the invitation is still open to life.

It will take some longer than others to have the "chaff" burned out and the final product God wants in His creation.

Personally i believe this is how the prophecy of Isaiah "when thy judgements are in the earth, the world will learn rightousness" comes to be, and how John the baptist preaching "all flesh shall see the salvation of God" was spot on.

Bottom line is: Gods' will will come to be, and what is that? to have "ALL men to come to the knowledge of the truth"

God bless all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity