Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 04:55 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
For better, or for worst.

"I love all of you."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 10:34 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Jasher 1:9

"And the serpent, which God had created with them in the earth, came to them to incite them to transgress the command of God which he had commanded them."

We know the serpent is a reference to the Devil or Satan as other verses point out.

But well do you think you know who Satan is or what Satan is?

Consider the first mention of this figure in Genesis:

Gen 3:1 Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?

Why would the serpent being compared to those things that are made and is spoken of as "he".

Right here is should be noted that Satan here is speaking to Eve but what you may not notice is that Adam is with her:

Gen 3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

So we have the Serpent talking to Eve and we later see that Adam is actually with her. But we don't ever see where Adam is debating with Eve concering the fact the fruit she offers him is forbidden.

Now what is the first thing Adam does when they get question by God concerning this matter? Why didn't Adam immediately blame Satan since Adam was with Even when the Serpent was speaking with Eve? Note Adam's response:

Gen 3:12 And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat.

Adam here is accusing Eve! Why? - consider this:

Gen 2:18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.

So Eve was made by God for Adam.

My belief here is that Adam was the one speaking to Eve and enticing her as a way to get approval from God since Eve was given to Adam. The Serpent is just a reference to that Spirit of Disobedience that Adam was exhibiting.

Now notice the last part of the condemnation for Eve:

Gen 3:16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

My belief is that when Eve provided the direction for eating of the forbidden fruit and gave to Adam that she would have been usurping Adam (had there been a subjection established at that time). So now with Eve being subject to Adam, it would be Eve to remain upon Adam for the decision and not vice-versa.
What is the book of Jasher?

Old 04-08-2012, 06:32 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
No problem!

"That which separates or divides comes from the minds of men."

Quote:
For better, or for worst.

"I love all of you."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I second the .

Old 04-08-2012, 08:33 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,381,552 times
Quote:
No problem!

"That which separates or divides comes from the minds of men."

[quote=kids in america_;23757371]Satan / adversary refers to any opposing force. quote]

I don't disagree, there are many adversaries, the flesh is an adversary to the spirit and the spirit is an adversary to the flesh. I am not agianst these things guys.

And God said let there be light....and God seperated/divided the light from the darkness.

What I was trying to show is that satan is NOT always seen from men or that which is in men, but is in fact a real being.

Satan is not a name, it is more of a title or character of one who bares such an nature.

Just as God is known by many names so too is the evil one, satan being one such name.

He/satan is real but many will reject this until they actually come into contact with him and see for themselves. Seeing is believing.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Satan, through humans does the most evil and despicable things on earth, and he also is allowed to "come as an angel of light" to deceive many.

Yeah, I lived on the wild side in the seventies, even did psychedelic drugs and I do know who satan is. I don't just "think" that I do.
Me to Sunnysee, I could tell you some things that people who do not believe satan is real would call ghost stories. But I seen these thing happen, heard him speak so I too know that he is real.

Those who do not believe he is real I can only think they have never come into contact with him or come into contact with one who is possessed by him.

I have, so no amount of words can change what I know.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:46 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
What is the book of Jasher?
"Is not this written in the Book of Jasher?"--Joshua, x. 13.
"Behold it is written in the Book of Jasher."--II Samuel, i. 18

- Book of Jasher

The Book of Jasher or Book of the Just Man (Hebrew sēfer ha yāšār ספר הישר) is an unknown book mentioned in the Hebrew Bible. The translation "Book of the Just Man" is the traditional Greek and Latin translation, while the rendering a personal name "Jasher" is found in the King James Bible, 1611.
[edit] Biblical references

The book appears to date from after the reign of David. 2 Samuel 1:18 states:
To teach the Sons of Judah the use of the bow; behold it is written in the Book of the Upright (per haiYāšār). /David's lament for Jonathan immediately follows./[1]The Book of Joshua 10:13 states:
And the Sun stood still, and the Moon stayed,until the people had avenged themselves on their enemies.Is this not written in the Book of the Upright (Sēper haiYāšār)?[2]The presence of this event in a book of poetry has been interpreted as a poetic description of the prolonged battle.[3]
The Septuagint translation renders sefer hayashar in both cases as 'Book of the Just'. The reference to the bow is here missing so that the text reads:
And he gave orders to teach it the sons of Iouda: behold it is written in the Book of the Just.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of...cal_references)

Old 04-08-2012, 08:57 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
This was the start of the blame game. The start to the persecution of woman...That made men not as happy as they should be and woman the same.

EVE...May have suggested the sin...ADAM made the choice to make the sin material...IT's about time that ADAM---or men take the blame for what they do..instead of pointing the figure at a woman or other men for that matter.

To say that woman...was the first sinner...and that some how this got men on the wrong road...is like saying "The Jews killed Christ"....when in TRUTH the Romans had total control...and the early Italians killed Christ...

These two great lies have caused a lot of problems..has anyone ever considered that the mythical SATAN...may have come up with this garbage and NOT God...To hate or blame the opposite sex --- has made life on earth worse..not better.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:46 AM

1,534 posts, read 1,989,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Jasher 1:9

"And the serpent, which God had created with them in the earth, came to them to incite them to transgress the command of God which he had commanded them."

We know the serpent is a reference to the Devil or Satan as other verses point out.

But well do you think you know who Satan is or what Satan is?

Consider the first mention of this figure in Genesis:

Gen 3:1 Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?

Why would the serpent being compared to those things that are made and is spoken of as "he".

Right here is should be noted that Satan here is speaking to Eve but what you may not notice is that Adam is with her:

Gen 3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

So we have the Serpent talking to Eve and we later see that Adam is actually with her. But we don't ever see where Adam is debating with Eve concering the fact the fruit she offers him is forbidden.

Now what is the first thing Adam does when they get question by God concerning this matter? Why didn't Adam immediately blame Satan since Adam was with Even when the Serpent was speaking with Eve? Note Adam's response:

Gen 3:12 And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat.

Adam here is accusing Eve! Why? - consider this:

Gen 2:18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.

So Eve was made by God for Adam.

My belief here is that Adam was the one speaking to Eve and enticing her as a way to get approval from God since Eve was given to Adam. The Serpent is just a reference to that Spirit of Disobedience that Adam was exhibiting.

Now notice the last part of the condemnation for Eve:

Gen 3:16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

My belief is that when Eve provided the direction for eating of the forbidden fruit and gave to Adam that she would have been usurping Adam (had there been a subjection established at that time). So now with Eve being subject to Adam, it would be Eve to remain upon Adam for the decision and not vice-versa.
My reply back to you would be this: "How well do you know the Scriptures?"

In Gen. 3:15 we have the first prophecy regarding the coming of a Messiah or *God in the flesh and how He would defeat the serpent aka the devil or satan.

*1Ti 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.[1 Jo. 3:8b].

Note it doesn't say the works of Eve.

II Corinthians 11:3 "But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ."

Old 04-08-2012, 03:10 PM

698 posts, read 647,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post

I don't disagree, there are many adversaries, the flesh is an adversary to the spirit and the spirit is an adversary to the flesh. I am not agianst these things guys.

And God said let there be light....and God seperated/divided the light from the darkness.

What I was trying to show is that satan is NOT always seen from men or that which is in men, but is in fact a real being.

Satan is not a name, it is more of a title or character of one who bares such an nature.

Just as God is known by many names so too is the evil one, satan being one such name.

He/satan is real but many will reject this until they actually come into contact with him and see for themselves. Seeing is believing.
If an “evil one” does exist, he’s under the control of ‘God’. There’s no “evil one” who is diametrically opposed to ‘God’ at work here. The picture of a “Satan” opposing ‘God’ hardly (or maybe even not at all) has a Scriptural foundation

Last edited by kids in america_; 04-08-2012 at 03:24 PM..

Old 04-08-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kids in america_ View Post
If an “evil one” does exist, he’s under the control of ‘God’. There’s no “evil one” who is diametrically opposed to ‘God’ at work here. The picture of a “Satan” opposing ‘God’ hardly (or maybe even not at all) has a Scriptural foundation

So you believe the evil that men do is under God control? what happened to the God of love?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity