U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-12-2010, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Florida
63,236 posts, read 34,448,439 times
Reputation: 10536

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
We believe differently.I believe God is capable of saving all mankind.I believe God wants to save all mankind.I believe God set in action a plan to save all mankind.I believe God unconditionally loves all mankind.I believe God will save all mankind.

Somewhere in there,you believe differently.
"Somwhere in there" is repeated 200 times in the Bible.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life


 
Old 07-12-2010, 11:10 AM
 
159 posts, read 150,267 times
Reputation: 46
Matthew says CLEARLY Priests bought the field with Judas blood money. Acts CLEARLY say Judas bought it. So yeah that's contradiction. There is also a question about why is field called field of blood. It's all very desperate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You can bicker over some detail which you think is a contradiction with some other detail which can be explained, while I was talking about contradiction in the VERY CORE MESSAGE of the Bible: the requirement of faith for salvation, which is repeated some 200 times.
These are no details. This is destiny of a main character, betrayer of Jesus. If Bible is so authoritative that it can override any other knowledge, then I think we can demand it be free of such contradictions. You can't gloss over this stuff as unimportant. It's like saying: "this man is perfectly healthy, apart from that little bullet hole", as Steve Dutch once said.

You demand of us to throw away all our reason and all knowledge that's not from the Bible. That's very different proposition than simply saying Bible is inspired word of God or whatever. And, since Bible is so obviously imperfect, is it really so strange other people are rejecting your view?

Last edited by python87; 07-12-2010 at 11:19 AM..
 
Old 07-12-2010, 11:14 AM
 
1,883 posts, read 2,561,752 times
Reputation: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
"Somwhere in there" is repeated 200 times in the Bible.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life
That's fine.You go on believing God will send most of mankind to ET all you want.Just don't expect people with a larger view of God to agree with you.
 
Old 07-12-2010, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Florida
63,236 posts, read 34,448,439 times
Reputation: 10536
Quote:
Originally Posted by python87 View Post
Matthew says CLEARLY Priests bought the field with Judas blood money. Acts CLEARLY say Judas bought it. So yeah that's contradiction. There is also a question about why is field called field of blood.
They named it field of blood after he hung himself, and his body burst open.

If they used his money to buy the land, they also probably put it under his name because it was blood money, so again, no contradiction.
 
Old 07-12-2010, 11:27 AM
 
159 posts, read 150,267 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They named it field of blood after he hung himself, and his body burst open.

If they used his money to buy the land, they also probably put it under his name because it was blood money, so again, no contradiction.
Heres the passages again:
Quote:
Matthew 27:4-6 4 "I have sinned," he said, "for I have betrayed innocent blood." "What is that to us?" they replied. "That's your responsibility." 5 So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself. 6 The chief priests picked up the coins and said, "It is against the law to put this into the treasury, since it is blood money." 7So they decided to use the money to buy the potter's field as a burial place for foreigners. 8 That is why it has been called the Field of Blood to this day.

Acts 1:18-19 18(With the reward he got for his wickedness, Judas bought a field; there he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out. 19 Everyone in Jerusalem heard about this, so they called that field in their language Akeldama, that is, Field of Blood.)
Here's my list of contradictions:
Quote:
- in Matthew priests buy a field. In Acts Judas does
- in Matthew Judas throws money in a temple. In Acts he keeps it
- in Matthew Judas seems remorseful over betraying Jesus. In Acts he doesn't
- in Matthew Judas hangs himself (suicide). In Acts his body bursts open (act of God)
- In Matthew field is called Blood Field because it was bought with money Judas got for betraying Jesus. In Acts it is called so because Judas' body burst open there
You say both bursting open and hanging happened. I really think Matthew would have mentioned that, because the story is there told in detail. Acts make body bursting open seems like miracle. I have never heard of someone's body bursting open as result of mere hanging. Heck, Matthew doesn't even say Judas hanged himself in that field, just that some field was bought with his money and was thus called Blood Field.

You say priests put field under Judas' name, but Acts clearly states it was Judas' field before he died.

And other contradictions still stand completely. You haven't even tried to challenge them. Acts make it seem Judas didn't care about betraying Jesus. At the very, very least it's very misleading.

Please. Don't you see how convoluted it gets? The very fact that it requires so much weaseling out shows it's not perfect

Last edited by python87; 07-12-2010 at 11:43 AM..
 
Old 07-12-2010, 11:36 AM
 
1,883 posts, read 2,561,752 times
Reputation: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They named it field of blood after he hung himself, and his body burst open.

If they used his money to buy the land, they also probably put it under his name because it was blood money, so again, no contradiction.

The Bible clearly states that HE,ie Judas,bought the field.Furthermore,it says he fell HEADLONG in his field.Here is the Greek word used as headlong

4248. prenes pray-nace' from 4253; leaning (falling) forward ("prone"), i.e. head foremost:--headlong.

Nothing here gives any support to the idea that he hung himself and then rotted away.A person rotting while hanging would not fall "headlong" when his body rotted enough to come apart.
 
Old 07-12-2010, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Florida
63,236 posts, read 34,448,439 times
Reputation: 10536
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
That's fine.You go on believing God will send most of mankind to ET all you want.Just don't expect people with a larger view of God to agree with you.
People with a larger view. LOL

Yes, you are right. My view is limited to the word of God and what the Holy Spirit has revealed to me.
 
Old 07-12-2010, 11:49 AM
 
159 posts, read 150,267 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
what the Holy Spirit has revealed to me.
The problem is, other people claim other things where revealed to them. And since some of those 'revelations' seem more in harmony with reality we see around us, what can we conclude?

How exactly do you know your visions are not, say, fabricated by Devil or other evil force that may exist?
 
Old 07-12-2010, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Florida
63,236 posts, read 34,448,439 times
Reputation: 10536
Quote:
Originally Posted by python87 View Post
You say both bursting open and hanging happened.
Yes.

Quote:
I really think Matthew would have mentioned that, because the story is there told in detail
Not really. It says "Then he went away and hanged himself". Not too many details there if you asked me.

Quote:
Acts make body bursting open seems like miracle.
Not really. It says he fell headlong and his body burst open. That can only happen if a decomposing corpse falls from a height, such as a tree where it was hanging.

Quote:
I have never heard of someone's body bursting open as result of mere hanging.
Not from mere hagning, but from hanging for days with the body decomposing to a point where it falls off the noose and hits the ground.

Oh yes, a decomposing body can easlily burst open.

Quote:
Heck, Matthew doesn't even say Judas hanged himself in that field, just that some field was bought with his money and was thus called Blood Field.
It was named 'field of blood' AFTER the fact, before it, it was called the 'potter's field' : "Everyone in Jerusalem heard about this, so they called that field in their language Akeldama, that is, Field of Blood."

My friend, there is no contradiction in Bible. If you read the Bible only to prove that there are errors in it, then you read it for the wrong reasons.
 
Old 07-12-2010, 12:00 PM
 
159 posts, read 150,267 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
It was named 'field of blood' AFTER the fact, before it, it was called the 'potter's field' : "Everyone in Jerusalem heard about this, so they called that field in their language Akeldama, that is, Field of Blood."
Was it named Blood field because it was bought with blood money, or because Judas body burst open there? And who bought the field, anyway?

I didn't know about body bursting open due to hanging. Interesting, but still, Acts should really mention it was because of hanging. Nothing in Acts imply that he was remorseful, it's like he bought field and didn't care much.

Quote:
My friend, there is no contradiction in Bible. If you read the Bible only to prove that there are errors in it, then you read it for the wrong reasons.
And you only read it to prove it's perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top