U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 12:59 AM

7,508 posts, read 3,727,189 times

Advertisements

I'm debating whether I should post this or not, but I think I'm going to do it. I apologize if this topic/issue has been posted. Moderator cut: Deleted This is going to be a touchy subject and it can cause some war but I only ask out of love and ignorant, not to cause trouble. I'm looking for honest opinions and what do you think WE should do about this. Should we bother with this or not? I am going to throw a lot of loose term so bear with me.

I know that every school goes struggle with racism and things like that, but I'm directly referring to a Christian school. My school struggled with the idea of Racial Reconciliation for the past years. Some students strongly believe that racial reconciliation should not be imposed because...

- Racism is done and over with. Some people (especially the minority) should just get over it. My question is, do you think it's easy for people like my friends to forget about slavery? It hurts them so much that they're still affected by it.
- We're all one in Christ.
- Christ died on the Cross, so we should just forget and forgive.
- The Bible never talks about Racial Reconciliation.
- Racial Reconciliation is a different issue and it has nothing to do with theology.
- Racial reconciliation means only white people apologize, not the minorities.
- Overall, we don't want to hear any more on racial reconciliation. We're SO sick and tired of hearing Racial Reconciliation.

Now I know some people might be thinking that I'm implying that white people are racist and it's all their fault. No. I believe that we're all racist in some ways (big or small) and we are all guilty. I do believe that the Blood of Christ has covered all of our sins and we have been forgiven... Some Christian students think that minorities are pulling tricks up their sleeves by discussing or "imposing" the idea of Racial Reconciliation on them. I know some of my friends don't believe in Racial Reconciliation as well, and I let them know that they decided it for themselves, not me. I do believe that there needs to be a balance because some people can be on one side of the pendulum and some, the other side. Sometimes I do get the feeling that people are focusing too much on Racial Reconciliation and not on Jesus Christ. Sometimes people do focus on Jesus Christ and think they love their brothers and sisters, but their brothers and sisters don't feel love at all.

It's like.. Everyone's afraid to talk about racism and racial reconciliation because it's a bad, wrong, and a sinful thing. I believe that discussing about it may bring hurt, guilt and pain, but it can also heal us at the same time.

- Do you think (and believe) that Racial reconciliation is something we made up or it is an issue that is real?
- How can we, as the Body of Christ, could discuss without killing and blaming each other?
- Are some people not willing to admit it because they don't see it? Or because they don't believe in it and it has NOTHING to do with them? History is history. I really need a different perspective on this one.
- Have you thought any of this before? Yes, no? Why?
- Have you deal with any of this? How did you respond to it?
- Should people like us need to shut up because it's not a big deal and we're making a big deal out of it.

Thanks for reading my long post.

Last edited by june 7th; 07-11-2010 at 08:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 01:29 AM

5,807 posts, read 4,791,496 times
missvang... this isn't really directed to you, but just the statement in bold. And it's something that a lot of people actually feel. Because I've heard it so many times before. That is what I'm responding to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missvang View Post
Some students strongly believe that racial reconciliation should not be imposed because...

- Racism is done and over with. Some people (especially the minority) should just get over it. My question is, do you think it's easy for people like my friends to forget about slavery? It hurts them so much that they're still affected by it.

NO. Those kids need to educate theirselves big time, if they think that "racism is done and over with".

Why/How would anyone "forget" about slavery? It is NOT something to be forgotten. We learn from it, but it is never forgotten. The ramifications of slavery are still being felt today. Of COURSE people are still affected by slavery.

And we should ALL feel that hurt. ALL of us. What hurts one hurts us all. That is one of the biggest problems there is. "Us verses them" mentality. Instead of seeing others as true brothers and sisters and putting yourself as far as possible into another persons skin and walking around in it. And grabbing another's hands and saying "Hey brother... what has hurt you, hurts me. Help me to understand... "

ok, this is a hugely passionate topic for me and I'm much too sleepy to continue.

Before anyone gets the wrong idea, this is absolutely NOT about holding grudges. Quite the contrary. This is about learning. This is about acknowledging how our past has shaped our present and how we need to educate ourselves so that we can have a better future. It's about people opening their ears and listening and being open to seeing things in a way that perhaps they never saw before.

This has EVERYTHING to do with "Love your neighbor as yourself".

Old 07-11-2010, 01:41 AM

55,668 posts, read 74,655,684 times
to get over slavery you would have had to experienced it.
but i agree. many on the hood have been and are slaves, but to violence and hatred and drugs, not to any other race.
i have found freedom on the hood but it was in a church.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:53 AM

8,107 posts, read 7,078,665 times
The devil does manipulate prejudice ideas because he rejects the commandment of Jesus Christ, and he gives minority people bad ideas against themselves, People need to now that Jesus loves them even more than they realise. Minorities Christians need to Plead the Blood of Jesus Judgements over their lives and people who are bothering them , forgive and believe and sit back and let Lord Jesus set them free.......

Old 07-11-2010, 06:29 AM

4,226 posts, read 2,596,100 times
prejudice is often aligned with fear and self-preservation. it's a binky.
eventually racism will die out when we merge into one race of people, hundreds of thousands of years from now.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:49 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,573,187 times
As long as the devil is roaming about with the evolution theory being alive and dominant, racism will always be in the shadows, waiting to flourish again.

Maybe if racial reconciliation recognize the root cause of bigotry is sin: as the devil would use fear and helplessness as a "just" cause to disguise that sin to tempt people to become rebels or rioters and thus bigots, then the idea of setting aside differences for reconciliation would best be met by proving that the evolution theory is false and that we are all related to one another through Noah's family so that there is no "setting aside" our differences because there is no difference as there are no races but one: the human race.

The law of Bio Genesis ( kind begets similar kind as in a dog will always be a dog as a rose would always be a rose no matter if they become a totally new rose) or as evolutionists would disguise it with micro evolution to lure people into believing in "macro-evolution" (kind becomes another kind as in a cow to a whale), is the key to defeating the idea of the evolution theory or that there are different human races.

Researchers have traced the origin of languages and an approximation was given that raises an eyebrow or two.

In the Beginning: Compelling Evidence for Creation and the Flood - Have Scientific Tools Detected Adam and Eve within Us?

If you have read further on at that site, you will see that as science are still fumbling around in the dark with this "mitochondrial Eve" where they think they found the link in genetics in women that we are all related to one another and yet many are in disbelief about how old that "Eve" is, the Bible clearly states that Eve was so named because she was the mother of all the living:

Genesis 3:20And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.

Just as the reference here suggests we all had one father, Adam.

Malachi 2:10Have we not all one father? hath not one God created us? why do we deal treacherously every man against his brother, by profaning the covenant of our fathers?

Of course, one could say they were only referring to Abraham, but then everyone on this earth is a direct descendent to Noah's family, and thus Adam.

Then of course, one would contest as to how the races developed then?

In the Beginning: Compelling Evidence for Creation and the Flood - How Did Human “Races” Develop?

And there ya go.

Racial reconciliation cannot be addressed as setting aside differences because all it takes is the devil or some upsetting situation for sinners to take up those differences again.

Racial reconciliation can only be achieved by His grace and help when everyone realizes that there is no differences to put aside as we are all cousins.

Now addressing slavery. Did you know that whites used to be abducted from foreign lands and sold into slavery? It did not last long because whites can so easily escape and blend into society.

And did you know that blacks were also enslaving each other in Africa? They would attack other tribes and enslave the captives to work for them. They didn't just sold them overseas.

What of the crimes whites have done against the American Indians in taking away their land? Even in American Indian history, they warred over each other for rights to the land.

So you see: if everyone really look at history: skin color is just an excuse to cry foul for the crimes that people were already doing to each other. Sin is the cause as the love of money is the root of all evil. Blacks prey on blacks with the drug trade and prostitution as easily as whites do on whites. It doesn't matter what skin color anyone have, sinners prey on each other irregardless of skin color.

Bigotry is just a cover for the victims to cry foul when in reality, they are ignoring what causes anyone to be a bigot: sin... or as the socialogists would ascribe it to: fear and helplessness in the face of oppression.

Until everyone realizes that there are no differences to be set aside, then Christ's love and forgiveness is what everyone will need to set aside their "grudges".

But alas, the enemy will not have any of that in schools.

I reckon the churches better address the matter publicly like an informational crusade or something if eyes are ever going to be opened... and that providing that God is willing to open their eyes.

But like the gospel, not everyone will believe it as I am sure "grudges" will be one of the cause of it.

I think in a way, racial reconiliation as far as setting aside differences is just a vain act as that ridiculous cap on the oil spill in the gulf is. They may put a lid on it, but it is still leaking. So one can only achieve racial reconciliation by proving there are no differences to set aside.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:30 AM

7,813 posts, read 10,707,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post

Minorities Christians need to Plead the Blood of Jesus Judgements over their lives...

This ^ is interesting, as June's first thought upon reading it was that the opposite is perhaps more the case: That white, majority Christians are the ones who need to 'plead the blood of Jesus judgements over their lives!

(Unless June misunderstood hljc's post, which is entirely possible, in which case, her apologies!)

Old 07-11-2010, 09:46 AM

16,300 posts, read 24,972,538 times
Hatred, bigotry, racism are all simply family values. Kids are not stupid, and if the parents are racist pigs, the kids will become raciest pigs. Too many times, the primary family value kids walk away with is based in hate, be it race, religion, gender, sexual preference, or any other difference.

It is not the work of any devil or god, but of stupid parents.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:35 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,492,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Hatred, bigotry, racism are all simply family values. Kids are not stupid, and if the parents are racist pigs, the kids will become raciest pigs. Too many times, the primary family value kids walk away with is based in hate, be it race, religion, gender, sexual preference, or any other difference.

It is not the work of any devil or god, but of stupid parents.

Yes, ignorant parents don't help, but I don't think it's just about racism (color of skin). There was a lot of fighting between the native Americans before the Europeans bullied their way in. The tribes in Africa have fought for thousands of years, and the class system in India is a mess.

I think what it comes down to is being brought up to think that you and only your group are all that matters. It's a jungle down here and everybody needs all the help they can get. If you group up together, just like in a gang, you feel protected; not so much just a number in the system. Grouping up means safety. Many at the top levels of the system nowadays are grouped by intelligence and connections, not by color.

I believe when Christ said we are all one through the Spirit He meant just that. The SPIRIT is not any color, and it is our soul's connection to that Spirit that matters. Would you still love me if I appeared as white, black, purple, or pink with polka dots? Or, are you, like God, looking at my inward man?

Love is all that matters to God. He is interested in what our inward man is doing. He doesn't care about melatonin so much. Jesus also seemed pretty angry at the guys who kept saying, "our father Abraham." He was saying, "so what," about genealogy. It was what SPIRIT the Pharisees and disciples were of that mattered to him.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:18 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,972,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Yes, ignorant parents don't help, but I don't think it's just about racism (color of skin). There was a lot of fighting between the native Americans before the Europeans bullied their way in. The tribes in Africa have fought for thousands of years, and the class system in India is a mess.

I think what it comes down to is being brought up to think that you and only your group are all that matters. It's a jungle down here and everybody needs all the help they can get. If you group up together, just like in a gang, you feel protected; not so much just a number in the system. Grouping up means safety. Many at the top levels of the system nowadays are grouped by intelligence and connections, not by color.

I believe when Christ said we are all one through the Spirit He meant just that. The SPIRIT is not any color, and it is our soul's connection to that Spirit that matters. Would you still love me if I appeared as white, black, purple, or pink with polka dots? Or, are you, like God, looking at my inward man?

Love is all that matters to God. He is interested in what our inward man is doing. He doesn't care about melatonin so much. Jesus also seemed pretty angry at the guys who kept saying, "our father Abraham." He was saying, "so what," about genealogy. It was what SPIRIT the Pharisees and disciples were of that mattered to him.
I was with you until you got to the end, as there is no god, nor can your provide any evidence of his existence, we are stuck in the cycle of stupid parents and the bigotry of whatever difference they pass on as their legacy to their children.

Bluster all you want about there being proof, etc, it just doesn't pan out when you look at the current results, bigotry continues pretty much unabated. Skin color seems to be less of an issue in society, but the religious and sexual preference bigotry have made up for that.

You talk about the love of god, Jesus, etc. yet where is much of the homophobic hatred today come from, the pulpit, the religious mouthpieces. Proposition 8 in California was spearheaded by churches and religious leaders, bankrolled by many religious groups and individuals. This is not representative of all believers, but it sure puts a hypocritical stain on believers, and 52% of people that voted supported this bigotry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity