U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-11-2010, 11:21 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
3,381 posts, read 3,492,262 times
Reputation: 438

Advertisements

This post comes from the link in blue below:

Universalism, the Prevailing Doctrine of the Christian Church During its First Five Hundred Years

1899~~~~

Universalism
The
Prevailing Doctrine


Of The
Christian Church
During Its First
Five Hundred Years

(and showing the influence of Greek Mythology
and pagan philosophy on Christian Doctrine)


Early Christianity A Cheerful Religion.


Darkness at the Advent.

When our Lord announced his religion this world was in a condition of unutterable corruption, wretchedness and gloom. Slavery, poverty, vice that the pen is unwilling to name, almost universally prevailed, and even religion partook of the general degradation.

Decadence, depopulation, insecurity of property, person and life, according to Taine, were everywhere. Philosophy taught that it would be better for man never to have been created. In the first century Rome held supreme sway.

Nations had been destroyed by scores, and the civilized world had lost half of its population by the sword. In the first century forty out of seventy years were years of famine, accompanied by plague and pestilence. There were universal depression and deepest melancholy.

When men were thus overborne with the gloom and horror of error and sin, into their night of darkness came the religion of Christ.

Last edited by june 7th; 07-12-2010 at 05:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-12-2010, 12:53 AM
 
Location: Texas
4,346 posts, read 5,722,033 times
Reputation: 844
Here's an interesting read about the descension of Christianity from a joyous rebirth of mankind to a religion focused on death and torment:
Saving Paradise » About the Book
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2010, 07:56 AM
 
Location: New England
32,238 posts, read 21,119,376 times
Reputation: 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Here's an interesting read about the descension of Christianity from a joyous rebirth of mankind to a religion focused on death and torment:
Saving Paradise » About the Book
Firstborn thanks for sharing the link , i read the free chapter and found it very interesting . I think i will order a couple of copies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2010, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Frisco, TX
7,559 posts, read 11,899,990 times
Reputation: 4519
I just saw the Book of Eli - the issue of using the bible to enslave people has been very real for a long time...

Religion: a return to bondage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2010, 01:53 PM
 
40,094 posts, read 26,755,929 times
Reputation: 6050
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
This post comes from the link in blue below:

Universalism, the Prevailing Doctrine of the Christian Church During its First Five Hundred Years

1899~~~~

Universalism
The
Prevailing Doctrine


Of The
Christian Church
During Its First
Five Hundred Years

(and showing the influence of Greek Mythology
and pagan philosophy on Christian Doctrine)


Early Christianity A Cheerful Religion.


Darkness at the Advent.

When our Lord announced his religion this world was in a condition of unutterable corruption, wretchedness and gloom. Slavery, poverty, vice that the pen is unwilling to name, almost universally prevailed, and even religion partook of the general degradation.

Decadence, depopulation, insecurity of property, person and life, according to Taine, were everywhere. Philosophy taught that it would be better for man never to have been created. In the first century Rome held supreme sway.

Nations had been destroyed by scores, and the civilized world had lost half of its population by the sword. In the first century forty out of seventy years were years of famine, accompanied by plague and pestilence. There were universal depression and deepest melancholy.

When men were thus overborne with the gloom and horror of error and sin, into their night of darkness came the religion of Christ.
This is the point I have tried to make . . . from the point of view of the early church for 500 years or so . . . UR was the original and true Gospel. To them "the false prophets of the latter days" would be the RCC and Nicenes that created the bible canon used today, and all the ET or Annihilist doctrines that have prevailed throughout the world for the past 1500+ years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2010, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
2,031 posts, read 2,767,708 times
Reputation: 531
Hail Universalism!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2010, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Frisco, TX
7,559 posts, read 11,899,990 times
Reputation: 4519
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Hail Universalism!
Hail the Savior of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2010, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
3,381 posts, read 3,492,262 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is the point I have tried to make . . . from the point of view of the early church for 500 years or so . . . UR was the original and true Gospel. To them "the false prophets of the latter days" would be the RCC and Nicenes that created the bible canon used today, and all the ET or Annihilist doctrines that have prevailed throughout the world for the past 1500+ years.
The last days were most definitely filled with anti-christs.

When the RCC took the ball, rolled ancient pagan religions into it's cloak, locked up the GOOD NEWS, told the heathen they were going to fry, and dominated the world with it's lies, well, there were some people that were just tired of being kicked around and all too eager to get some of that power into their hands.

Enter Luther.

BUT!!!!

Did the Protestants free the people?

What I find so maddening is that the Protestant church understood even less of the Gospel than the RCC, it seems. Why did they, after finding FREEDOM from a corrupt empire, decide to attach a literal fiery eternal torture to their loving god? Their teachers did not see the rampant paganism in the RCC?? Hmm......

I John 2:18. Little children, it is the last time (2000 years ago): and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now(2000 years ago)we know that it is the last time (2000 years ago) are there many antichrists;

Hebrew 1:2. But in these last days (2000 years ago) he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world.

I Peter 1:20. God chose him as your ransom long before the world began, but he has now revealed him to you in these last days (2000 years ago).


Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Hail Universalism!

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Hail the Savior of the world.


Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I just saw the Book of Eli - the issue of using the bible to enslave people has been very real for a long time...

Religion: a return to bondage
Bondage~~~~~~What religion does best.

Last edited by herefornow; 07-12-2010 at 04:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2010, 04:52 PM
 
5,499 posts, read 4,575,571 times
Reputation: 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
The last days were most definitely filled with anti-christs.

When the RCC took the ball, rolled ancient pagan religions into it's cloak, locked up the GOOD NEWS, told the heathen they were going to fry, and dominated the world with it's lies, well, there were some people that were just tired of being kicked around and all too eager to get some of that power into their hands.

Enter Luther.

BUT!!!!

Did the Protestants free the people?

What I find so maddening is that the Protestant church understood even less of the Gospel than the RCC, it seems. Why did they, after finding FREEDOM from a corrupt empire, decide to attach a literal fiery eternal torture to their loving god? Their teachers did not see the rampant paganism in the RCC?? Hmm......

I John 2:18. Little children, it is the last time (2000 years ago): and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now(2000 years ago)we know that it is the last time (2000 years ago) are there many antichrists;

Hebrew 1:2. But in these last days (2000 years ago) he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world.

I Peter 1:20. God chose him as your ransom long before the world began, but he has now revealed him to you in these last days (2000 years ago).











Bondage~~~~~~What religion does best.
Isaiah 49:1-26 "The Messiah's Mission"
9 That thou mayest say to the prisoners, Go forth; to them that are in darkness, Shew yourselves. They shall feed in the ways, and their pastures shall be in all high places
...

Blessings...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2010, 05:10 PM
 
Location: New England
32,238 posts, read 21,119,376 times
Reputation: 2280
I Believe Luther could only walk in the light he had , i believe through the ages since Luther's day God has been restoring back the light that almost dimmed out in the dark ages .
I also believe the light of Universal Reconcilation is glowing now and many are being drawn to it .
I think we need to be careful though in thinking the light of the truth regarding UR is all that is left of the light of the gospel to be restored , this is how denominations are formed by building around present truth restored back to the church , just like what happened to Luther's message , Wesley's message and the Pentecostal message.

I'm grateful to God that He opened my heart to receive the truth about UR , i pray that He will continue to grant me an open heart to the light of His glorious gospel and the unsearchable riches of Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top