U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 04:21 AM

4,346 posts, read 5,720,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Ouch! Personally, I don't think I'm wicked - but you are entitled to your own opinions!
Dewdrop - a quick "Christianese" terminology lesson about the term "wicked".

In modern Christianese "wicked" means "not perfect like God" or "not completely pure like God" or "Not flawless like God".

It's not the regular English use of the term - so nobody is implying you go out kill people or rob banks or anything like that.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:28 AM

63,052 posts, read 34,342,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Dewdrop - a quick "Christianese" terminology lesson about the term "wicked".

In modern Christianese "wicked" means "not perfect like God" or "not completely pure like God" or "Not flawless like God".

It's not the regular English use of the term - so nobody is implying you go out kill people or rob banks or anything like that.
Yes, I agree this is what the term 'wicked' means. The word sounds kind of.....wicked, but it just means sinful. All unbelievers are wicked.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:46 AM

5,925 posts, read 5,839,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is an insult to God to even suggest that you might one day comprehend his reasoning.

No it isn't, it is actually that false reasoning that is postured in order to leverage ones own beliefs as true as you are doing here.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:50 AM

21,188 posts, read 21,009,171 times
Quote:
Yes, I agree this is what the term 'wicked' means. The word sounds kind of.....wicked, but it just means sinful. All unbelievers are wicked.
While I understand the distinction - maybe you guys should rethink your use of the word! If you go around calling unbelievers wicked to their faces - it doesn't come off very well!!!

Old 07-15-2010, 07:52 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,289,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
The main error with ETers is that they don't understand what we are saved from and for. ETers think only of salvation in terms of
avoiding what they consider literal fire. No wonder it is a terror based belief. The motive of ETers is skewed from the git-go, profane from the outset. The image of God perpetrated by such a doctrine is perverse.

--- heartsong -

Not to worry......I am just making a point.
[/quote]

Yes, it does in fact appear that ET Christianity is about avoiding hell. Nothing more, nothing less. Nothing about walking in righteousness towards one's neighbor, nothing about overcoming all things through Love, nothing about finding peace and joy in one's heart, nothing about forgiving and healing one another. It seems to be mere "fire insurance." (Even though Jesus said that we shall ALL be salted with fire, including them..!)

Blessings,
brian

Old 07-15-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
While I understand the distinction - maybe you guys should rethink your use of the word! If you go around calling unbelievers wicked to their faces - it doesn't come off very well!!!
It is the word the Bible uses, so it's not for use to change it. I don't think anyone actually calls others 'wicked'. At least I never heard anyone do that.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:02 AM

21,188 posts, read 21,009,171 times
Quote:
It is the word the Bible uses, so it's not for use to change it. I don't think anyone actually calls others 'wicked'. At least I never heard anyone do that.
I'm not asking you to change the bible - simply be a little bit more understanding and respectful of your fellow man (or woman, in my case!). And maybe you haven't called anyone wicked - but I have certainly been called wicked by members on this forum! Although... I guess that isn't the same as being called it to my face since I was reading it and not hearing it...

Old 07-15-2010, 08:02 AM

21,640 posts, read 30,253,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
There isn't a 1 John 13:15 so I can't look that one up..

Yes, you THINK you know God... but so does everyone else who disagrees with you theologically...

How do you know that the "us" in the scripture is truly meant for you too?

You listed Hebrews 9:12 - He did not enter by means of the blood of goats and calves; but he entered the Most Holy Place once for all by his own blood, having obtained eternal redemption

Eternal redemption for whom?

Do you believe that eternal life means an afterlife in heaven? Because Jesus defines it for us and it has nothing to do with any afterlife... Rather, it has to do with living in the knowledge of God and his son... right?

I still don't see how if you lie you are excluded from the lake of fire... or if you are cowardly... etc.

How do you KNOW that you are not going to be burned eternally if you happen to die doing something stupid?
Sorry I typed it in wrong, it's 1 John 5:13 "I write this to you who believe in the Son of God, so that you may KNOW you have eternal life".
If you can't understand this I can't explain it to you.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Yes, it does in fact appear that ET Christianity is about avoiding hell. Nothing more, nothing less. Nothing about walking in righteousness towards one's neighbor, nothing about overcoming all things through Love, nothing about finding peace and joy in one's heart, nothing about forgiving and healing one another. It seems to be mere "fire insurance." (Even though Jesus said that we shall ALL be salted with fire, including them..!)
Didn't you once say you were a born again Christian before you became a UR? How did you manage to misunderstand the meaning of salvation and being a Christian so throughly? And your use of words such as "it appears", and "it seems" proves that you never had any understanding of it. As a born again believer you should know better.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 07-15-2010 at 08:15 AM..

Old 07-15-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
I'm not asking you to change the bible - simply be a little bit more understanding and respectful of your fellow man (or woman, in my case!). And maybe you haven't called anyone wicked - but I have certainly been called wicked by members on this forum! Although... I guess that isn't the same as being called it to my face since I was reading it and not hearing it...
Someone here told you that you are wicked? Can you quote that post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity