U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 11:02 PM

1,880 posts, read 4,200,574 times

Advertisements

So, I'm kinda new to Christianity, but it does seem like I recall this Country was founded upon Christian values. Well, I am in a disagreement with Satan on another thread here and could really use some ammo. If there are any history buffs here, I would greatly appreciate it. Or if you would like feel free to respond to the following thread. The juice starts on page 5

www.city-data.com/forum/memphis/970480-churches-5.html#post15030914

Thank you for your time.

Love in Christ,

(901)

Old 07-13-2010, 11:07 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,504,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
So, I'm kinda new to Christianity, but it does seem like I recall this Country was founded upon Christian values. Well, I am in a disagreement with Satan on another thread here and could really use some ammo. If there are any history buffs here, I would greatly appreciate it. Or if you would like feel free to respond to the following thread. The juice starts on page 5

www.city-data.com/forum/memphis/970480-churches-5.html#post15030914

Thank you for your time.

Love in Christ,

(901)
Christian values. Hmm....

If slavery, racism, putting "In God We Trust" on our money and charging interest, overpowering and killing the Indians and putting them on reservations, Pharisaical Puritans, etc. are Christian values, then, yes.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:06 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,578,241 times
I believe Ginsaw answered it appropriately. I would believe that in a treaty as such, certain clearing of the air had to be done to express that the United States had not ordained a state religion that is solely representative of the nation in relating to other nations that by it, there would be contentions.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/15031033-post47.html

Liberals tend to forget if not on purpose, that the whole idea of seperation of church and state is that the state cannot force a religion on everyone as it being the repesentative of the nation of USA. That was the reason why pilgrims fled to America to have that freedom of religion and freedom of speech.

Elected officials of our forefathers were free to express their faith and did so publicly and in office.

Such speeches would hardly be looked upon by liberals these days. Even the ACLU would ignore it entirely just to suppress the freedom of speech as if voicing one's faith is forcing it on others.

Quotes from American Leaders

Quote:
Patrick Henry - "It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ. For this very reason peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom of worship here."
Quote:
John Adams- The American Bible Society was started by an act of Congress and John Adams, our second president, served as its first leader.

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." 1798 - Address to the Military

"That they call to mind our numerous offense against the Most High God, confess them before Him with the sincerest penitence, implore His pardoning mercy, through the Great Mediator and Redeemer, for our past transgressions, and that through the grace of His Holy Spirit, we may be disposed and enable to yield a more suitable obedience to His righteous requisitions in time to come." Proclamation of a National Day of Fasting and Prayer, March 6, 1799
Officially, the government cannot say that it was founded on the christian religion, but the values of christianity is what gives the nation its liberty for every American to pursue the truth individually.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:25 AM

3,553 posts, read 4,485,058 times
It was founded upon Christian values, until statism was organized.

Unless the kingdom is based upon His Kingdom, and REFLECTS it, then no, it wasn't.

The fruit that they bear is evidence of this fact.

Is slavery, taxation, theft, greed, adultry, fornication,,,,evidence of a Christian faith? Is killing, wars, and submission to power hungry statists who desire to rule rather than work evidence of Christian values?

Then the answer to the question should be the evidence history provides.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:30 AM

16,300 posts, read 25,046,840 times
No!
Quote:
"The United States is in no sense founded upon the christian doctrine." -- George Washington

Old 07-14-2010, 09:44 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,045,249 times
wallbuilders.com

Old 07-14-2010, 01:54 PM

4,346 posts, read 5,739,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
Research that Patrick Henry quote a bit. Seems it is spurious?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
Officially, the government cannot say that it was founded on the christian religion, but the values of christianity is what gives the nation its liberty for every American to pursue the truth individually.
Actually - it was founded on principles of conscience influenced by Christians, deists and agnostics - all with one common goal: freedom.

Remember - what we see now as the "values of christianity" were not always "values of christianity", that is, many portions of Christianity back then practiced political oppression and cruel punishments for heretics etc. so OF COURSE the founders were going to leave any reference to a specific religion OUT of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, and wisely so.

The LAST thing they wanted to do was to recreate what they left to come here for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
So, I'm kinda new to Christianity, but it does seem like I recall this Country was founded upon Christian values. Well, I am in a disagreement with Satan on another thread here and could really use some ammo.
901- congrats for your new found faith, but you may want to pick a more suitable battle? Jesus was not into nationalism but into helping the oppressed, reaching out to the afflicted etc. Just a thought.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:57 PM

8,128 posts, read 7,120,493 times
Virtually every one of the writers and signers of the USA Contitution were members of various Christian denominations 29 were Anglicans, 18 were Calvinist, 2 Methodists, 2 Lutherans , and 2 were Roman Catholic, 1 Quaker and one deist .... George Mason insisted that the first ten amendments be added . these were by the law of nature are the laws of God who authority can superseded by no power on the earth........See Dan Brown intrigue books can add his confusion to the American ideas but by the Plead of the Bood of Jesus, if believer pray this, ideas can be removed from the mouth of Everybody........

Old 07-14-2010, 03:55 PM

5,302 posts, read 5,454,835 times
901 - I recommend getting a hold of the Truth Project - Moody Bible Institute/Focus n the Family. See if your local church has the videos, or if any one of members there as well. It will greatly help you in the founding principles of our nation, which like any nation, became infected with pagan worship and malicious intentions, which always result in calamity and curse from God. Once you begin to remove God/Christ from a theocratically led government like Israel on several occasions, the picture becomes dark, as always.

Only in Christ, can one have victory over darkness.
Welcome to the Fold.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:06 PM

4,346 posts, read 5,739,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Once you begin to remove God/Christ from a theocratically led government like Israel on several occasions, the picture becomes dark, as always.
Are you saying that God was running the U.S. government but was removed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or