U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 04:07 PM

7,559 posts, read 11,894,419 times

Advertisements

An unbelieving coworker of mine made an observation worth a pound of gold:

After listening to a few of us debate and dispute scripture - much like we do on this forum - he simply stated, "If the God you speak of was more visible in those who argue about Him, your words would be worth value."

He went on to tell me that he saw those fruits of the Spirit in some more than others, but what is the point of proving who is right while the people who need this God only see strife and division?

I said, "God speaks".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 05:48 PM

7,811 posts, read 10,703,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post

An unbelieving coworker of mine....

... what is the point of proving who is right while the people who need this God only see strife and division?
Has June been sleep walking again, only this time getting on planes and showing up at member's places of employment!?!?

*help*

Last edited by june 7th; 07-14-2010 at 07:31 PM..

Old 07-14-2010, 05:53 PM

5,499 posts, read 4,573,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
An unbelieving coworker of mine made an observation worth a pound of gold:

After listening to a few of us debate and dispute scripture - much like we do on this forum - he simply stated, "If the God you speak of was more visible in those who argue about Him, your words would be worth value."

He went on to tell me that he saw those fruits of the Spirit in some more than others, but what is the point of proving who is right while the people who need this God only see strife and division?

I said, "God speaks".
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Has June been sleep walking again, only this time getting on planes and showing up at member's places of employment!?!?

*help*
Thar goes "Just June"...

Last edited by june 7th; 07-14-2010 at 07:32 PM..

Old 07-14-2010, 06:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,360 times
When there is argument, (whether between Christians or other persons) it is usually self-pride rising to the surface. Christians can fall into the habit of being "legalistic", which is not good, as the central focus of Christ was to Love God and Love Our Fellowman. Too often Christians forget the purpose of the Holy Spirit, and with their ethusiasm, they feel that God needs some "help", therefore they overpush Christ on to others. This is where the Holy Spirit is suppose to step in. His job is to touch the heart of the unbeliever after the Christian has planted the seed.

All other Biblical issues are subject to interpretation, and should not be used as a wedge between other Believers. As Christians, we are suppose to represent Christ through our actions and words - and to be as Christlike as possible. By emulating Christ, we draw others toward ourselves, which bottom-line, draws those to Christ Jesus. Non-believers are then to be DRAWN toward Christ.

Too often the human-element interfers with passing along Christ's message. When we turn to Man and not to God for things, we will be disappointed and life will have no purpose. But we must understand that Mankind will always fail and fall short of being perfect like Christ. We must not bond ourselves to a specific (Preacher, Church, Ideal) of this world. To do so, is to subject ourselves to disappointment and disillusionment.

Christ and His Father are not of this world, and we Christians must not allow ourselves to be tied to the world. One of the differences between a Christian and secular man is that the Christian's heart is convicted by the Holy Spirit to know what is right and wrong, and to subject themselves to answer to God for their wrongs. Mannon only holds himself to man's laws and life experiences.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:55 PM

21,959 posts, read 22,113,760 times
You know what I've noticed? People who are the most confident in their own belief system tend to be less argumentative than those who are experiencing some kind of inner-turmoil. If you feel good about what you believe, you don't need to be insistent that everybody else on the planet believe the same thing.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:11 PM

21,188 posts, read 21,003,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You know what I've noticed? People who are the most confident in their own belief system tend to be less argumentative than those who are experiencing some kind of inner-turmoil. If you feel good about what you believe, you don't need to be insistent that everybody else on the planet believe the same thing.
I think you've hit on something there! It's kind of like in my business - the most insecure people are usually the ones that brag about themselves the most. They feel like they have something to prove.
And as for my own beliefs - I'm perfectly happy being the only person who sees things exactly the same way that I do! I'm also perfectly happy letting everyone else believe what they believe in. There is really only room for one Heatherist, anyway!

Old 07-14-2010, 07:18 PM

7,811 posts, read 10,703,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
Thar goes "Just June"...

Old 07-14-2010, 07:43 PM

5,499 posts, read 4,573,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
*lol*

Old 07-14-2010, 10:00 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,211,118 times
Because there is a lot of crap in christianity, and the arguments are for it, not the outside: what do they know? What is this? Are we all just supposed to roll over and take all this end wise and have community no matter what? No doctrine-it divides; just love songs and holding hands? I would sooner be an atheist. One thing I am beginning to notice, and that is for the sake of peace, one is expected to accept Moderator cut: deleted as inappropriate Sorry, I am going to continually cause trouble.

Last edited by june 7th; 07-15-2010 at 08:57 AM..

Old 07-15-2010, 07:20 AM

7,559 posts, read 11,894,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen antrim View Post
Are we all just supposed to roll over and take all this end wise and have community no matter what?
It depends on whether or not you really want to follow Him, who was despised and rejected yet He opened not His mouth. Our need for vindication is rooted somewhere outside the gates of the Kingdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or