Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 04:44 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,742,208 times

Advertisements

1Cr 15:55
"Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death(Greek - Hades), is your sting?"(NIV)

O death, where is thy sting? O grave(Greek - Hades), where is thy victory?(KJV)

Why do you suppose that the translators of the scriptures into English translate the word "Hades" in this verse as grave and as death yet they translate the same word as hell throughout most of the new testament?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 05:24 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,502,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
"Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death(Greek - Hades), is your sting?"(NIV)

Why do you suppose that the translators of the scriptures into English translate the word "Hades" in this verse as grave and as death yet they translate the same word as hell throughout most of the new testament?
Good question...

and interesting is that the YLT leaves it as Hades (a proper noun)....

So which is it?

Old 07-14-2010, 07:12 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,183,660 times
Quote:

Probably because they didn't want a verse in the Bible that declared victory over hell?

Old 07-15-2010, 01:43 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,742,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Probably because they didn't want a verse in the Bible that declared victory over hell?
Probably ...

Old 07-15-2010, 02:42 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,201,224 times
Yes if you take away eternal torment and death from fundamentantal christianity it has no message (i refuse to call it a gospel)
They believe they are saved from it , the unbeliever goes it , which gives them reason to condemn them to it and it keeps their belief in free will intact.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:56 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,604,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
It sure looks that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Yes if you take away eternal torment and death from fundamentantal christianity it has no message (i refuse to call it a gospel)
LoL

Old 07-15-2010, 09:11 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,509,692 times
Quote:

1Cor 15:55 in the NKJV

O Death, where is your sting?
O Hades, where is your victory?

I'll never undestand why people use a bible translation written in the language of Shakespere as a proof text. I don't know *anyone* who uses the KJV.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:15 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,148,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I don't know *anyone* who uses the KJV.
What are you, 13?

Old 07-15-2010, 09:43 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,509,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
What are you, 13?
Please read 1Kings 21:21 in the KJV.

Then we will discuss my age.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:26 AM

1,897 posts, read 2,108,218 times
That is interesting how it was translated differently. It certainly looks like they picked the translation verse-by-verse that best suited their doctrine.

I love this passage! I've shared my belief that believers go straight to the Lord and unbelievers stay in the grave until resurrection. I'm not sure if anyone agrees with me, but it makes perfect sense to me. It says, "We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed." I don't think he was talking about a small part of humanity that will be on the planet during the rapture when he said, "We will not all sleep."

We know everyone dies except for those on earth at the rapture. (If you believe in the rapture. At this time I believe it just because that's what I was taught. I haven't studied it much.) So, if he didn't mean that the only people who don't "sleep" are those on earth at Jesus' return, then what? Who else does not sleep/die?

Since it says some sleep/die and others don't, I believe in "soul sleep" for the non-followers of Christ, and that followers' souls do not sleep/die but go to him immediately at death, and everyone has a bodily resurrection at the last trumpet. It coincides with John 3:16, other verses that say believers never die, the wages of sin are death, to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord, etc.

This is just my view and I'm not asking for debate or anything. Just thought I'd share my view.
50I declare to you, brothers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. 51Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed— 52in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. 53For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. 54When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: "Death has been swallowed up in victory."[g]
55"Where, O death, is your victory?
Where, O death, is your sting?"[h] 56The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. 57But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
58Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity