Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 08:47 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him.

To reject is a choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Well than please explain what you believe Paul meant when he wrote ...

Rom 11:28-32
As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sakes. For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance. For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief: Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy. For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

Here we see that the pharisees and all those Jews who rejected Christ are beloved of God. We see that they Are enemies of the Gospel for the sake of believers. We see that they were concluded in unbelief byGod so that God could have mercy on all people. We see that though they did not believe, they will attain mercy through our mercy.

Please explain ...

Peace ...
John 3:36 has to do with individual salvation.

Romans 11:28-32 has to do with national Israel's disbelief and disobedience and its future restoration. Individual salvation is not in view in this passage. It cannot be compared with John 3:36 God had intended that Israel be the agency of evangelization of the Gentiles. Israel failed in its responsibility. Now, Israel has been temporarily set aside, while the Church-the body of Christ is formed of both Jew and Gentile. After the church is taken off the earth at the rapture, God will turn His attention back to Israel.

Romans 11:28 Bible Commentary

Romans 11:29 Bible Commentary

Romans 11:30 Bible Commentary

Romans 11:31 Bible Commentary

Romans 11:32 Bible Commentary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 08:48 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
I think you speculated that Jesus can't preach to the dead again.
Well then OK. So show me where it says He will do so. It ought to be in the NT if it isuch an important truth. I mean that would be a major point of fact as to how God works. Right?

Old 07-15-2010, 08:50 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,902,973 times
Quote:
So you UR guys operate on speculation and opinion. I prefer to operate on what scripture says.
You do not believe the scriptures if you believe that whosoever believes in Christ after death will still perish.

And actually there is a scripture that says those who were dead and then believe, will be saved.
  • John 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: 26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

Those who WERE dead and believe will live.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:50 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Well then OK. So show me where it says He will do so. It ought to be in the NT if it isuch an important truth. I mean that would be a major point of fact as to how God works. Right?
All that is necessary is that He did it! The example is set. Does He have to die on the Cross again . . or was once enough?

Old 07-15-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
All that is necessary is that He did it! The example is set. Does He have to die on the Cross again . . or was once enough?
Got nothing I see.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thy Kingdom Come View Post
You do not believe the scriptures if you believe that whosoever believes in Christ after death will still perish.

And actually there is a scripture that says those who were dead and then believe, will be saved.
  • John 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: 26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?
Those who WERE dead and believe will live.
John 11:24-26

24Martha answered, "I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day."
25Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; 26and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?"

Context and modern English matter. Jesus said in the following verse ya gotta be alive when you believe.
Observation: I do wonder why 90% of the UR folk use Ye Olde King James Version as your proof text.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:04 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,112,911 times
Quote:
We could play tug of war on that one! It neither says Jesus will or won't preach to the dead again. "Nothing is impossible with God," so that would mean he can. He did at least once already that we know about, so we can't rule it out.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:05 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,761,215 times
Quote:

And I did address 1Pete4 in the OP. That was a one time deal when Jesus preached to the dead in Sheol before He rose again. Please see the OP.
According to your interpretation and the interpretation of the traditions you subscribe to.

Again i will repeat what i noted above ...

The word here translated as "was preached" is "euEggelisthE" and according to the greek interlinear it should be translated as "IS preached" ...

Quote:
euEggelisthE
G2097
vi Aor Pas 3 Sg
IS-WELL-MESSAGizED
is-brought-a-well-message

This translation does not support your interpretation.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:08 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,570,961 times
Quote:
All very nice words and opinions.

But still no one has provided scripture that says you can accept Christ after death. Perhaps there isn't any.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
Psalm 30:1-12 I will extol thee, O LORD; for thou hast lifted me up, and hast not made my foes to rejoice over me.
2 O LORD my God, I cried unto thee, and thou hast healed me.
3 O LORD, thou hast brought up my soul from the grave: thou hast kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit.

Peace!
Quote:
??? You're not serious. David didn't die at that point. He praises God for keeping him alive. Gads!

Is this the kind of proof texts that UR folk use?

Psalm 30

A psalm. A song. For the dedication of the temple. Of David. [SIZE=1][[/SIZE][SIZE=1]a[/SIZE][SIZE=1]][/SIZE]

1 I will exalt you, O LORD,
for you lifted me out of the depths
and did not let my enemies gloat over me.

2 O LORD my God, I called to you for help
and you healed me.
3 O LORD, you brought me up from the grave [b] ;
you spared me from going down into the pit.
4 Sing to the LORD, you saints of his;
praise his holy name.
5 For his anger lasts only a moment,
but his favor lasts a lifetime;
weeping may remain for a night,
but rejoicing comes in the morning.
6 When I felt secure, I said,
"I will never be shaken."
7 O LORD, when you favored me,
you made my mountain [c] stand firm;
but when you hid your face,
I was dismayed.
8 To you, O LORD, I called;
to the Lord I cried for mercy:
9 "What gain is there in my destruction, [d]
in my going down into the pit?
Will the dust praise you?
Will it proclaim your faithfulness?
10 Hear, O LORD, and be merciful to me;
O LORD, be my help."
11 You turned my wailing into dancing;
you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, 12 that my heart may sing to you and not be silent.
O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever.
Yes I am serious...are you serious in your belief that David wrote the Psalms for himself? They are songs of the spirit...and not made by one for himself...if I follow your inference...it would make David the most self-absorbed person in the bible...

And I'm not even UR? just leaning toward it... Gads...

Peace!

Old 07-15-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
We could play tug of war on that one! It neither says Jesus will or won't preach to the dead again. "Nothing is impossible with God," so that would mean he can. He did at least once already that we know about, so we can't rule it out.
Speculation. I would never build a system of belief on what is not said in the Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity