Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 06:09 PM

162 posts, read 212,120 times

Advertisements

Although this message is one that would usually be given from the older, wiser women of the church, this pastor stepped in and addressed the issue of immodest dress of women in the church. Far from legalism, he addresses the church in a biblical and loving way with great humility. This is a must listen for women and men to examine themselves.

YouTube - Ladies, Does How You Dress Cause Men to Lust? - Al Martin (Spanish Captions)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 06:37 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,526,082 times
Men would lust after a girl in a snowsuit covered in a burlap sack. JMO

Old 07-15-2010, 06:44 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,398,602 times
Some do and some don't. I learn in my freshmen year that I did that a lot.. Now I'm more modest than ever. But then again... Some men visualize even if the girls dress modesty or not, so it's really their fault too (at least I think so).

Old 07-15-2010, 07:02 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
Time for the Burkas! Lets bring them to the Christians.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:17 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
The reality of the situation as June sees it is this: The video is decisively misogynous, as it places the full extent of blame on the ways in which women dress. While June is hardly one to condone women dressing provocatively in places such as a church where one would hopefully know better out of respect, along with knowing the customs of what is "appropriate dress" or not, there still remains a very biased message to the video.

The reality, as June sees it, is this: A very attractive woman can be dressed appropriately, but her "attractiveness" will still attract the eye of most men. June has the feeling that "a pretty girl is a pretty girl" no matter how she is dressed. Men notice. Period. As such, why are women the exclusive focus of a religious message that in truth, should in all likelihood be directed towards men?

In other words: If June is attractive, then don't blame her for your lust. Address those issues as a Christian man, yourself.

Please note, for the record: June is neither a Christian woman, or a woman who is saying that men lust over her. (Well, maybe some do...But June wouldn't know that directly at the moment!) "Just June" is a modest "just June." When she needs to be.

P.S. But she is always 'appropriately' dressed!

Take gentle misogynous care.

Last edited by june 7th; 07-15-2010 at 07:35 PM..

Old 07-15-2010, 08:03 PM

162 posts, read 212,120 times
Being attractive does not equate to skimpy clothing that reveals the breasts and conforms to the outline of the body (like spandex). There is such a thing as modest clothing. Clothing should frame the face from which the glory of God is revealed. If it frames the body and draws attention to it, then it is not of God.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:15 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airō View Post
Clothing should frame the face
"Frame the face?" June's a woman. She wears clothing. Could you explain this, because June's sense is that her clothing should fit her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airo

If it frames the body...
How 'bout if it fits (and compliments) June's body, regardless of her body?

--Why is it that something in June is telling her that if women dressed in such a way that their dress "framed their faces" instead of fitting their bodies, irrespective of whatever body type we are talking about here, men, and even Christian men would be sad.

Very, very sad....

Old 07-15-2010, 08:26 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
I think people should wear the clothes that they want to. Clothing is a way of expressing ourselves. Next I'm going to hear that women can only have long hair or can only wear lip gloss. Seriously - we should be able to dress the way that we want to. Besides, sometimes when I go out running in an oversized t-shirt and big, baggy shorts - I still get whistled at. I'm not saying that I'm just sooooo attractive - I'm saying that it just doesn't matter what you wear. Should I just wear a trash bag over my entire face and body? Would that be better???

Old 07-15-2010, 08:29 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airō View Post
Being attractive does not equate to skimpy clothing that reveals the breasts and conforms to the outline of the body (like spandex). There is such a thing as modest clothing. Clothing should frame the face from which the glory of God is revealed. If it frames the body and draws attention to it, then it is not of God.

Hey, your Christian God created you without all the accessories didn't he..... so what's the problem? It's only natural.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:31 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,193,850 times
Burqua: Too extreme.

Running around practically naked: Too extreme.

Just keep your nipples and your butt crack to yourself.

Other than that........Shrug.

Last edited by herefornow; 07-15-2010 at 08:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity