Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 10:48 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The Vatican today made the "attempted ordination" of women one of the gravest crimes under church law, putting it in the same category as clerical sex abuse of minors, heresy and schism.

The new rules, which have been sent to bishops around the world, apply equally to Catholic women who agree to a ceremony of ordination and to the bishop who conducts it.

Vatican makes attempted ordination of women a grave crime | World news | guardian.co.uk
Unbelievable....it's perfectly OK to let pedophile priests roam free amongst the parishoners children and even protect them when they are caught doing the nasty by sending them to different churches where they can continue their nastiness...but it's not OK to let women serve their god as a priest.

Does anyone else see the utter stupidity here or is it just me????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 11:01 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Unbelievable....it's perfectly OK to let pedophile priests roam free amongst the parishoners children and even protect them when they are caught doing the nasty by sending them to different churches where they can continue their nastiness...but it's not OK to let women serve their god as a priest.

Nope, it's not just you! Even the bible itself says that it is WRONG to forbid to marry - so the Catholic church is just wrong on so many levels. The entire organized institution gives me the creeps, big time.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:05 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Nope, it's not just you! Even the bible itself says that it is WRONG to forbid to marry - so the Catholic church is just wrong on so many levels. The entire organized institution gives me the creeps, big time.
Me too sister....which is why I soundly rejected it at the age of 8 even though my parents tried to ram it down my throat. Even as a child I knew they were just dead WRONG!!!

Old 07-21-2010, 12:08 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The Vatican today made the "attempted ordination" of women one of the gravest crimes under church law, putting it in the same category as clerical sex abuse of minors, heresy and schism.

The new rules, which have been sent to bishops around the world, apply equally to Catholic women who agree to a ceremony of ordination and to the bishop who conducts it.

Vatican makes attempted ordination of women a grave crime | World news | guardian.co.uk
According to the RCC, my children are "the gravest of sins" because they were conceived via IVF. Who cares? The only people they're hurting are those Catholics who buy into their scare tactics and guilt trips. The RCC seems to just get nuttier with time.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:11 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:

You could literally trip over the hypocrisy when entering any Catholic church! I just don't see how people buy into the garbage they serve. Actually, most Catholics I know don't buy into it, so I really don't understand how they keep the pews full. There are so many options available.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:23 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,775,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Since when does the Catholic church forbid marriage? That's news to me. If you want to marry, don't become a priest. Seems pretty simple. The bible does talk about the celibate life being superior anyways.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyspider View Post
But seriously, DNick...to make it a "grave crime"?? I have to truly wonder how Jesus would feel about condemning a woman for simply wanting to serve him in such a devoted capacity.
Is it a grave crime? I don't know. But it is against The Churches teaching, so deal with it. There not saying it is a bad as other obvious things. But It's still against teaching, none the less.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:

That's a completely different matter. Why because they do something else wrong, they aren't allowed to do something right. You messed up "A", so therefore, you're not allowed to do "B" right. Thats idiotic thinking. Is how they handle those priests horrible, Yes. But that's not what we're talking about is it? No.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:07 PM

621 posts, read 1,210,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
Is it a grave crime? I don't know. But it is against The Churches teaching, so deal with it. There not saying it is a bad as other obvious things. But It's still against teaching, none the less.
How can you possibly state you don't know if it's a grave crime or not? Did you read the title to this thread? Did you read the article?

See, that's the problem with Catholics...they don't read and find out the truth for themselves. They just let it all be dictated to them. And then they come off half-cocked with some snotty defensive attitude when other people point out things they don't have the answers for. Catholics are very good at dodging the issues, opting instead to get defensive and demeaning toward those who ask the hard questions. I'm not even Catholic, even though I have seriously considered converting at times in my life. I've opted NOT to convert, partly because of the uncharitable, unloving, snotty attitudes that I've encountered at the hands of Catholics. That, and I can't bring myself to accept the validity of some RCC teachings. They violate my conscience.

Why don't you speak for yourself and address my statement...do you HONESTLY believe our loving Lord Jesus, who gave his life for us, would condemn a woman simply because she wanted to serve him in such a devoted capacity as being a priest? Don't just feed me the line "Well, that's what the church teaches...deal with it." I will NOT just "deal with it". I seek the truth. Do you?

Old 07-21-2010, 02:18 PM

64 posts, read 62,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyspider View Post
How can you possibly state you don't know if it's a grave crime or not? Did you read the title to this thread? Did you read the article?

See, that's the problem with Catholics...they don't read and find out the truth for themselves. They just let it all be dictated to them. And then they come off half-cocked with some snotty defensive attitude when other people point out things they don't have the answers for. Catholics are very good at dodging the issues, opting instead to get defensive and demeaning toward those who ask the hard questions. I'm not even Catholic, even though I have seriously considered converting at times in my life. I've opted NOT to convert, partly because of the uncharitable, unloving, snotty attitudes that I've encountered at the hands of Catholics. That, and I can't bring myself to accept the validity of some RCC teachings. They violate my conscience.

Why don't you speak for yourself and address my statement...do you HONESTLY believe our loving Lord Jesus, who gave his life for us, would condemn a woman simply because she wanted to serve him in such a devoted capacity as being a priest? Don't just feed me the line "Well, that's what the church teaches...deal with it." I will NOT just "deal with it". I seek the truth. Do you?
I want to respond so let me first state that I am Catholic (a snotty, defensive, unloving person who dodges issues as per your comments).

The RCC (and most orthodox christian religions) rely heavily on traditions established in the early church and historicallly the apostles and priest were men while most protestant religions have discarded most traditions. I agree with you that our Lord Jesus probably only cares that we all choose to serve in some capacity but I also suspect He is not concerned with the titles we hold when we do serve.

I accept the use of traditions established by the early church so I accept the fact that women will not be ordained into the priesthood. For others, this is unfair and sexist and they will more than likely be protestant.

I do think that calling this "grave" seems extreme but I suspect the RCC is attempting to avoid splintering of RCC teachings within the RCC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity