U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 10:56 AM

63,162 posts, read 34,407,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
And they go to great effort to try and convince others to reject the reality of it.
Exactly. I never stop wondering what motivates them to convince others to reject it.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:58 AM

5,925 posts, read 5,843,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Exactly. I never stop wondering what motivates them to convince others to reject it.

Yes, Confessing Jesus as Lord is a trustworthy thing to do.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:01 AM

4,325 posts, read 5,266,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
After all this time you still don't get it, Jesus was God in human form when He came to earth.
Actually, Jesus was the personification of God, not God in the flesh. Jesus worked His whole life for God in order to achieve His Divinity. Then humans murdered Him because they misunderstood His mission and they still don't get His message.

Jesus also states, in your bible, that we can become greater than He was while on earth. We will do greater things. But, due to mistranslations and closed minds of parishners and bible literalists, we have not achieved that yet. What Jesus portrayed to His fellow humans is what we can protray in our own lifetime. By doing what Jesus taught will do that. It was never about Jesus the man, it has always been about that teachings that Jesus taught to humans. Going through Jesus means that you comprehend what He taught and put that into action, not that you believe He is God. I follow Jesus because of His teachings. I don't follow Him in that He is God because I believe there is only one God and Jesus is not Him.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:26 AM

4,309 posts, read 5,587,441 times
Go and pull out your bibles and read the Book of Numbers chapter 16 (a book many overlook) for yourselves. Then when you're done, deny that hell is a real place! And, is it not this same all loving God that banished them there? I'm just going to post a few verses here:

And Moses said, Hereby ye shall know that the LORD hath sent me to do all these works; for I have not done them of mine own mind.

If these men die the common death of all men, or if they be visited after the visitation of all men; then the LORD hath not sent me.

But if the LORD make a new thing, and the earth open her mouth, and swallow them up, with all that appertain unto them, and they go down quick into the pit; then ye shall understand that these men have provoked the LORD

And it came to pass, as he had made an end of speaking all these words, that the ground clave asunder that was under them:

And the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed them up, and their houses, and all the men that appertained unto Korah, and all their goods.

They, and all that appertained to them,
went down alive into the pit, and the earth closed on them: and they perished from among the congregation.

And all Israel that were round about them fled at the cry of them: for they said, Lest the earth swallow us up also.
(Numbers 16: 28-34)

He doesn't lie. He can do what He says, He can do! Does not judgment belongs to Him? This SAME ALL-LOVING GOD? Is He not GOD?

God has, when He pleases, strange punishments for the workers of iniquity. It was very significant. Considering how the earth is still in like manner loaded with the weight of man's sins, we have reason to wonder that it does not now sink under its load. The ruin of others should be our warning. Could we, by faith, hear the outcries of those that are gone down to the bottomless pit, we should give more diligence than we do to escape for our lives, lest we also come into their condemnation.

He that believeth on Him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. (John 3:18)

The name of the ONLY BEGOTTEN SON...............Jesus Christ! No, you cannot bypass the Son.

Betsey

Old 07-16-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Go and pull out your bibles and read the Book of Numbers chapter 16 (a book many overlook) for yourselves. Then when you're done, deny that hell is a real place! And, is it not this same all loving God that banished them there? I'm just going to post a few verses here:

And Moses said, Hereby ye shall know that the LORD hath sent me to do all these works; for I have not done them of mine own mind.

If these men die the common death of all men, or if they be visited after the visitation of all men; then the LORD hath not sent me.

But if the LORD make a new thing, and the earth open her mouth, and swallow them up, with all that appertain unto them, and they go down quick into the pit; then ye shall understand that these men have provoked the LORD.

And it came to pass, as he had made an end of speaking all these words, that the ground clave asunder that was under them:

And the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed them up, and their houses, and all the men that appertained unto Korah, and all their goods.

They, and all that appertained to them, went down alive into the pit, and the earth closed on them: and they perished from among the congregation.

And all Israel that were round about them fled at the cry of them: for they said, Lest the earth swallow us up also. (Numbers 16: 28-34)

He doesn't lie. He can do what He says, He can do! Does not judgment belongs to Him? This SAME ALL-LOVING GOD? Is He not GOD?

God has, when He pleases, strange punishments for the workers of iniquity. It was very significant. Considering how the earth is still in like manner loaded with the weight of man's sins, we have reason to wonder that it does not now sink under its load. The ruin of others should be our warning. Could we, by faith, hear the outcries of those that are gone down to the bottomless pit, we should give more diligence than we do to escape for our lives, lest we also come into their condemnation.

He that believeth on Him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. (John 3:18)

The name of the ONLY BEGOTTEN SON...............Jesus Christ! No, you cannot bypass the Son.

Betsey

Betsey, is Confessing Jesus as Lord a Trustworthy thing to do?

Old 07-16-2010, 12:32 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,587,441 times
What could possibly be worth eternity in hell? No wonder Jesus Christ warned so much about hell! No wonder Jesus said in Mark 8:36, "For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and LOSE HIS OWN SOUL?"

Jesus Christ says in Mark 9:43-47,

43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

45 And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

47 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:

Jesus Christ took hell so serious — He could say without the slightest hesitation — to remove your eye, cut off your hand or foot, if that would keep you out of hell!

If hell is not real.... Jesus Christ was the most deceived man that ever lived! I’ll challenge anyone to read the words of Jesus Christ and tell me they are the words of a deceived man! For we ALL know........Jesus Christ knew exactly what He was talking about! He's been there, so WE won't have to! He cannot lie! You and I can, but HE CAN'T, amen?

THE WHOLE TRUTH. You don't have to like it...but it's necessary. And, somebody got to tell it! I'll do it!! What kind of friend would I be, if I only told you half the story? I'm not here to win any popularity contest. I'm here for the cause of Christ. That's all.

Last edited by Betsey Lane; 07-16-2010 at 12:41 PM..

Old 07-16-2010, 12:38 PM

11,826 posts, read 10,180,854 times
Phazelwood,
Do you understand the signiificance of what is being said in these verses:

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\

Philippians 2:6-8

6 Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,

7 but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.

8 And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

For Jesus to be "found in appearance as a man (human)", he relinquished his equality...in other words he is\was equal to God.

In relinquishing his equality, Jesus speaks from the position of "taking the very nature of a servant; a servant being made in human likeness"

The significance of this is that Jesus' role on earth was from the position of "humbled himself". As the "humbled himself" servant, the Father was greater.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:48 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,769,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Jesus spoke the words in other verses that explains exactly what it is that we are to say.

Jesus talks of being equal with God, and he says specifically that the father is greater than he.

He also admonishes a man for calling him Good Teacher and pointed to the father saying there is only one that is good.

I appreciate your verses, but those verses do not have any text with Jesus speaking saying HE IS GOD, they just are not there.

The inference you make is not needed because JESUS himself tells you about it.

Most of the time, people do not like what someone says so they post verses and make a better case for the bible contradicting itself.

It is a contradiction to say Jesus IS GOD and then to hear JESUS own words saying the FATHER is greater than I.

But since the bible does not contain the words you assert, there is no contradiction in the first place in the bible, the contradiction is people saying that Jesus called himself God.

How many times am I told to read scripture and when I do people post things and expect me to believe words that are not there.

"Good teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?" "Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good--except God alone.

Phazelwood, Jesus wanted people to THINK. Jesus wanted him to see that he just called him good and only God is good. Jesus called Himself good in John 10:11 "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep." He wanted that man to see that if only God is good and Jesus called himself good, he is God. Jesus never denied that He was good. He said God alone is good and calls Himself good.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
"Good teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?" "Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good--except God alone.

Phazelwood, Jesus wanted people to THINK. Jesus wanted him to see that he just called him good and only God is good. Jesus called Himself good in John 10:11 "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep." He wanted that man to see that if only God is good and Jesus called himself good, he is God. Jesus never denied that He was good. He said God alone is good and calls Himself good.

I appreciate what your saying, but what you bring up is not what I am debating about.

Jesus never called himself God or said that he was our Father, and the scriptures in ancient greek or any translation backs me up on this.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:09 PM

592 posts, read 651,564 times
Jesus never said he was God, not did he say he was our father.

He said it was not bothersome to equate him as equal to God since if you have seen him you have seen the Father, but as Well Jesus said the Father is GREATER than he.

Quote:
Originally Posted by

It kinda makes sense that part of UR theology denies that Jesus is God.

Please read the bolded, underlined 100 times and get back to me.

God Bless,
Mercy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or