U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 08:39 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,947,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Asheville for an atheist or whatever you have been labelled with you are alright in my book.

But i do disagree with you that the living God is some deity who is a megalomaniac.

I kind of understand why you may believe this has His character and nature as been mis represented by the teachings of fundamental christianity
I appreciate that pcamps

I understand your disagreement with me about your god, which obviously isn't the same one that PH and others here believe in. The differences I see in this thread seem to have a range as great as those between christianty, islam, an witchcraft, and the extremes of the fundamentalist's side is utterly amazing at times. I keep asking myself "how do people rise to such a level of intolerance yet seem to still exist within society". It boggles the mind.

Sadly I live in an area where it is all to common, thus my reactions do ignore, and unjustly lump ya'all into the same category. Even though I have never gone to church, I have seen the visceral hatred frequently by fundy and pentecostal preachers (and they can't stand each other) at funerals and on street corners downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 12:57 PM

202 posts, read 404,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
This guy doesn't sound like a dictator to me, he sounds whipped.
Painful memories? When a woman is allowed to dictate in the home, she ruins lives. I should know. Not going into details but my FIL was whipped and my MIL ruined their marriage, and their children's childhoods because she was allowed to have her own way, he wouldn't or couldn't stand up to her.

And I disagree that it is twisting Scripture, it is Biblical for a man to be head of the home, else why would there be two genders? It is Biblical, absolutely. Of course that doesn't give the man the right to be a "dictator," abusive, or mean, etc., but I don't believe most men are like that. If there are a few men who take it to the extreme, then the fault lies them them, not the Biblical model. They're responsible for their own behavior; that doesn't negate the model we should follow, IMHO.

There are many instances in marriage where a husband and wife will probably disagree. It is not always possible, with two people, to agree. That's why a 50/50 thing, a "partnership" doesn't work...that sounds more like a business deal, than a marriage. Someone has to be the ultimate authority.
This is why i guess i dont follow any organized religion. I go to church from time to time, but i dont drink the kool-aid. Im a 44 year old woman. I have seen enough in this world to know that simply having a penis does not make you right. I have seen gross mistakes made by men in certain situations, and really bad judgement by men.

I could never, ever simply go along with a man when i know darn well it could be a disastrous thing to do, simply because he is a man.
That makes no sense to me. Why do some of you women even bother finishing high school, or even attend college if in the end all you are going to do is end up being the property of a man, with no real say in anything?

Why has everything else in this world evolved? I mean..we have made improvements in the cars we drive, improvements in medicine, improvements in technology, etc. and everybody pretty much agrees this is a good thing. Heck, women can now vote. But..something that was written a bazillion years ago (bible) is still able to dictate every aspect of our lives? Why is it that we can agree that "some" things or ways of doing things are outdated, but not others?

Now, im not talking about every nit picking argument a couple could get into. But, you may have a woman that actually really DOES have more of a better arguement for or against something, whereas what her husband wants to do could result in major problems. Yet, the woman should just back down and walk head first into something she knows is not gonna end well just because she is the one without the penis???

Gee, when can common sense take over blind, cult-like faith??

This is why i have struggled with the issue of organized religion. All religion seems to be is an outlet for people who want to hate and control one another.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:56 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,757,671 times
What a painful thread to read. There are still too many male chauvinist's in this world, especially within various dogmatic religious circles. Without mutual respect for one another in each area, a marriage is bound to die.

Christ is the head of the house and the married couple are one in Christ. My maker is my husband. The bible tells me so.

Heartsong

Old 07-26-2010, 06:37 PM

21,634 posts, read 30,236,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
What a painful thread to read. There are still too many male chauvinist's in this world, especially within various dogmatic religious circles. Without mutual respect for one another in each area, a marriage is bound to die.

Christ is the head of the house and the married couple are one in Christ. My maker is my husband. The bible tells me so.

Heartsong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity