U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 08:49 AM

11,291 posts, read 11,309,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The house thing. If you can't afford it then you can't afford it.
That may or may not be a fact. But the conflict arises because he sincerely believes they cannot and she sincerely believes they can, but refuses to to a financial counselor, probably because she doesn't want to hear the bitter truth and thinks that with some austerity they CAN manage the payments (she, for example, suggests she'll go back to work full time even though she can barely keep up part time).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 09:08 AM

3,553 posts, read 4,477,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmalltownKSgirl View Post
You have got to be kidding me. I'm a full grown adult. I have a good job and my own car. I love my husband and I want him to be happy. But I want to be happy too, and that means that NO, he is most certainly not the ultimate authority over me nor am I over him. The idea is abhorrent. Shouldn't God be the ultimate authority over both of us anyway?
All I see in this rant is I, I, I. I am an adult. I have a job. I have a car. I love my husband. I want him to be happy.

Selfishness is not righteous.

The Word proclaims there is 1, and only 1 head of the house. There is a purpose behind it. Read and listen to it. Your 'job', as you call it is to be a helpmeet for the head of the house. Yes, submission to his authority, the same way he submits to Jesus as the authority,,

Of course, this is only if you accept the Word of God.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:10 AM

1,922 posts, read 4,354,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No . . . but having a husband with this kind of attitude surely is!!
Exactly...what is this the 1800's?
No matter your faith, your wife isn't a trained dog that you must control, her opinions count too...maybe she's tired of being submissive?

Old 07-17-2010, 10:25 AM

13,578 posts, read 21,748,555 times
The way I see a perfect (Christian) marriage (which I have yet to see) is that the husband and wife are joined together as ONE unit with the only head being Christ..The one unit (marriage) should work as ONE bride of Christ..There is only ONE bridegroom and He is Christ, the head of the Church..The husband/wife should never put themselves in the position of Christ as the final authority..

From my heart
Dayton, Akron-Canton in Ohio

Old 07-17-2010, 10:42 AM

3,553 posts, read 4,477,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
The way I see a perfect (Christian) marriage (which I have yet to see) is that the husband and wife are joined together as ONE unit with the only head being Christ..The one unit (marriage) should work as ONE bride of Christ..There is only ONE bridegroom and He is Christ, the head of the Church..The husband/wife should never put themselves in the position of Christ as the final authority..

From my heart
Paul and Peter wrote about marriage, and their views concerning it
pertaining to the Christian faith.

Your choice is:

Either believe them, or don't.

Last edited by june 7th; 07-17-2010 at 11:29 AM..

Old 07-17-2010, 11:34 AM

7,816 posts, read 10,719,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post

From my heart
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post

Your choice is:

In a sense (to June's "just June" heathen way of thinking) one could say that the entire NT (and one's understanding of it) could very clearly define and be a guideline as to what should constitute a "Christian marriage." Granted, that means that one needs to understand, and apply what is said, therein.

It would therefore seem to June that the real choice isn't a "choice" as such, but more of a very lofty challenge.

~One that couples either accept, and attempt to acheive and attain, or not.

Take gentle marital care.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:43 AM

13,578 posts, read 21,748,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Paul and Peter wrote about marriage, and their views concerning it
pertaining to the Christian faith.

Your choice is:

My fleshly choice is not to argue/debate my beliefs or scriptures with others
My spiritual choice is to believe or not believe..I believe
Dayton, Akron-Canton in Ohio

Old 07-17-2010, 12:43 PM

1,899 posts, read 4,159,787 times
Quote:
And a dictatorial man doesn't?
I haven't heard anyone on this thread advocate dictatorship.
There is a huge difference between leading by EXAMPLE, being
the rock of the family, and being "dictatorial."
That isn't the Biblical model of marriage, so there is really
nothing to reply to there.
There is nothing in Scripture that tells a husband to be a
dictator - he is advised to "love your wife the way Christ loved
the church," love, not "dictate."

Quote:
There are two genders in order for men to be the head of the home? Huh? I always thought it had something to do with reproduction.
It does, obviously; but we have roles to play within marriage, although
that certainly goes against the current worldly view of marriage...but
then, I'm not trying to pattern my life after the world, or to curry favor
with the world.
If this were truly a Christian forum, this type of debate wouldn't even
be occurring, as some obviously are reacting from knee-jerk stereotypes
of the "domineering male."

Quote:
No it isn't always possible for a husband and wife to disagree, that is WHY a 50/50 "thing" as you call it, is necessary. It's called compromise.
Some decisions are either yes or no, we do it or we don't. Many things
cannot be compromised upon. Yes, there does have to be someone in charge.
That is what the Bible advocates.

Quote:
You have got to be kidding me. I'm a full grown adult. I have a good job and my own car. I love my husband and I want him to be happy. But I want to be happy too, and that means that NO, he is most certainly not the ultimate authority over me nor am I over him. The idea is abhorrent. Shouldn't God be the ultimate authority over both of us anyway?
No, I'm not kidding you - not at all. Of course God should be the ultimate
authority over both the husband and wife, that is what this is for. The Lord
is the head, then the husband, and then the wife.
So you say you will not submit to your husband as any sort of "authority"
over you, you are equal, how then do you expect to submit to God, and what
He would have you do? If you cannot submit to the man in your own home, the man you call your husband, how can you submit to an entity you cannot even see?
Why do you feel the idea of your husband having authority over you is
"abhorrent," yet you claim that God "should be" an authority over both of
you - isn't that "abhorrent," as well?
Or do you feel you are not supposed to "submit" to the Lord, either?
Women today have a really warped, destructive, and unGodly view of marriage
and what it is all about.
I'm not advocating - and neither does the Bible advocate - a woman
being a moronic, mewling, stupid little fool, who runs herself ragged to please a raging, domineering household tyrant. The Bible says that a wife is to submit to her husband, but her husband has to submit to the Lord....there is not license there for abuse, rudeness, or any sort of mistreatment. It is the Godly model of marriage, and people are free to submit to it, or they can reject it.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:17 PM

11,291 posts, read 11,309,320 times
Let's see what we have so far:

By an overwhelming majority, if not unanimous, opinion by the WOMEN (surprise! ) the sexes are EQUAL in decision-making. Basically, they are co-partners, each having a 50% authoritative role in making decisions. Of course this is plainly non-Biblical---I mean, girls, just read the verse:

Quote:
Ephesians 5:22- 24 Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.
I mean there it is in black and white, girls. I didn't write it; Paul did. And you can dance around it with your own interpretations, feminist rationals about how times have changed and society has become more civilized in the 21st Century than in Paul's time, but I don't think that cuts it with God, who never changes.

Notice how Paul draws a DIRECT correlation between the relationship between man/wife and Christ/Church: as the Church Body submits to Christ, so wives submit to their husbands. Again, in EXACTLY the same way the Church submits to Christ, so wives SHOULD submit to their husbands. And it's a given that as Christ would love His Bride and give His life for it, so husbands should do the same.

But women's lib philosophy has gotten into the discussion and poisoned this doctrine. Now, for the sake of political correctness and in the interests of staving off a war between the sexes, couples are now fully vested with equal rights, responsibilities and roles. Is it any wonder then that as feminism took hold in the 60's the divorce rate started to skyrocket, adultery skyrocketed, love between couples went cold and spouses sought out the company of people other than their spouses, which led to a tidal waves of affairs?

I am not surprised in the least at the responses. When one posts something that is generally perceived by one group as inflammatory, that group comes out in mass, while the others stay home. If I had posted something about homosexuality being immoral in the political discussion board, who would have turned out to comment, the people who agree?

I've noticed something similar in the gay community. Several years ago, the former Congressional chaplain, himself a gay, gave a lecture on how outdated the Biblical outlook on gayness was; that the Bible should be revised and all homophobic verses should be expunged or greatly altered to reflect modern sensibilities. I sense that women here, by and large, would like to do the same with Ephesians. How it would sit with Almighty God is open to question, though.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:31 PM

1,922 posts, read 4,354,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Let's see what we have so far:

By an overwhelming majority, if not unanimous, opinion by the WOMEN (surprise! ) the sexes are EQUAL in decision-making. Basically, they are co-partners, each having a 50% authoritative role in making decisions. Of course this is plainly non-Biblical---I mean, girls, just read the verse:

I mean there it is in black and white, girls. I didn't write it; Paul did. And you can dance around it with your own interpretations, feminist rationals about how times have changed and society has become more civilized in the 21st Century than in Paul's time, but I don't think that cuts it with God, who never changes.

Notice how Paul draws a DIRECT correlation between the relationship between man/wife and Christ/Church: as the Church Body submits to Christ, so wives submit to their husbands. Again, in EXACTLY the same way the Church submits to Christ, so wives SHOULD submit to their husbands. And it's a given that as Christ would love His Bride and give His life for it, so husbands should do the same.

But women's lib philosophy has gotten into the discussion and poisoned this doctrine. Now, for the sake of political correctness and in the interests of staving off a war between the sexes, couples are now fully vested with equal rights, responsibilities and roles. Is it any wonder then that as feminism took hold in the 60's the divorce rate started to skyrocket, adultery skyrocketed, love between couples went cold and spouses sought out the company of people other than their spouses, which led to a tidal waves of affairs?

I am not surprised in the least at the responses. When one posts something that is generally perceived by one group as inflammatory, that group comes out in mass, while the others stay home. If I had posted something about homosexuality being immoral in the political discussion board, who would have turned out to comment, the people who agree?

I've noticed something similar in the gay community. Several years ago, the former Congressional chaplain, himself a gay, gave a lecture on how outdated the Biblical outlook on gayness was; that the Bible should be revised and all homophobic verses should be expunged or greatly altered to reflect modern sensibilities. I sense that women here, by and large, would like to do the same with Ephesians. How it would sit with Almighty God is open to question, though.
So, do you allow your woman to vote?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity