Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2010, 05:26 PM

365 posts, read 511,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Huh!? What!?

~As someone who all too well remembers the 60's, June just couldn't pass this one up as regards the "moral compass" part! Dear Lord! If EVER there was a time when the "moral compasses" of Americans (if not the world at large!) were challenged and re-defined, it had to be the 60's! As such, trust June (who was there) when she says that the "moral compasses" have not declined since then!

P.S.....Rock on.
Not only is it fact what I said but it's biblical.

The love will grow cold and the moral compass will decline. People will become more disobedient as time goes on. I believe if God were to allow the world to go on forever, a time would come where every single person on Earth would not be following God or Bible at all. Humans are deteriorating and biblical values and morals are being abandoned.

In the 60s did you see the youth behave like they do today? Getting drunk, on drugs, having sex at every party they attend, sleeping around with everyone and anyone, disrespecting their parents, into sorcery and witchcraft. Such a huge increase in the occult, e.g Harry Potter, Charmed, Twilight etc.

The Bible is correct, it's happening and will worsen.

The marriage vows of today are a joke! People marry and then 2 days later they divorce and jump to the next marriage.

All biblical morals and values are disappearing and only a small minority today still embrace them and make them part of their lives. Majority have gone astray and left God's ways and now follow their own ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
::SIGH:: This is the pathetic nonsense that the religious leaders have inflicted upon their congregations by retaining the ignorant 1st century primitive interpretations of scripture as if they were appropriate for a more knowledgeable and educated society. Trying to impose 1st century mores and cultural patterns on 21st century society and relationships is ludicrous . . and given this absurd viewpoint particularly DANGEROUS.
What's DANGEROUS is your wilful disobedience to God and His Bible. God never changes, His the same yesterday, today and forever. God has never changed on this issue and marriage is to be taken seriously and not as a game. You marry TILL DEATH DO YOU PART FOR BETTER OR WORSE!

Only if adultery has occurred should people get divorced. God taught it in Bible and Bible and God NEVER CHANGES!

Don't you realise or understand that you have to make a choice. Follow God completely or be thrown into the lake of fire.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:35 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHeart View Post
Incorrect!! It means the moral compass of current people have declined compared to those in the 60s and before.

It means people have drifted further away from God and no longer obey God on this issue of marriage. People do not have the same integrity anymore to honour their husband or wife. Moral decay and a further distance from God has caused a higher increase in divorce.
I am saying that, very likely, the only difference is people stayed in bad marriages. Just because they stayed in bad marriages doesn't mean their moral compass was better. Financially, women couldn't take care of themselves so they had no choice. They have a choice today.

I'm not saying divorce is right. I'm saying that people just stayed in bad marriages before. Perhaps that's what God expects of us. To stand by the vow we took for better or for worse.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:40 PM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
What's DANGEROUS is your wilful disobedience to God and His Bible. God never changes, His the same yesterday, today and forever. God has never changed on this issue and marriage is to be taken seriously and not as a game. You marry TILL DEATH DO YOU PART FOR BETTER OR WORSE!

Only if adultery has occurred should people get divorced. God taught it in Bible and Bible and God NEVER CHANGES!
God never changes . . . but the stupid ignorant primitive morons who interpeted Him and described Him 4000 - 2000 + years ago sure have changed and SOME have become far more intelligent, civilized and educated. You clearly have no clue how the bible came to be what it is today. IF you did . . . you would NOT have the absurd confidence in the way it is currently interpreted. God has left NO SIGN that He has prevented the corruptions, errors, blatant misrepresentations and lies that ALL human writings and recordings have been subject to throughout history. To expect that He would have done so . . . especially in light of the clear evidence to the contrary (if you study the history of the bible) . . . is more than just foolish. IT is why God has "written in our hearts" and provided the Holy Spirit to guide us using the Living Word of God Jesus Christ!!!!.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:43 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
Quote:
In the 60s did you see the youth behave like they do today? Getting drunk, on drugs, having sex at every party they attend, sleeping around with everyone and anyone, disrespecting their parents, into sorcery and witchcraft. Such a huge increase in the occult, e.g Harry Potter, Charmed, Twilight etc.
Please note: June is NOT looking to take this thread off topic. However, in response to the above asking whether we saw youth behave in the ways he/she describes? -YES! That is (in large part) what the 60's were all about. People were *shocked* by what was going on with the "youth culture" and believe me when I say that as societal norms and trends go, what you are witnessing now is NOTHING as compared to what was happening then!

....As good though those memories might be!

Rock on.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:

Don't you realise or understand that you have to make a choice. Follow God completely or be thrown into the lake of fire.
God is the same but would his word be the same if the bible were written today? You are assuming that because God doesn't change, his word to us wouldn't change when we have changed.

I'll give you one example. The bible tells women to learn in silence. Back in biblical times, women lived separate lives from men. They weren't involved in commerce. They didn't have time to go listen to political debates. They spent their days tending several children, drawing water, grinding wheat and scrubbing clothes clean on rocks at the river bed. Any information they got from the world came filtered through their husbands who probably had a better understanding of what went on in the world or other women who got their information through their husbands. She also probably couldn't read and if she could read, probably didn't have the time. She was in no position to do anything but learn in silence. Learn from those who had been out in the world and those who had time to study.

Compare this to today. Today, a mom home with the kids can have CNN on in the background while she does the dishes. She has more time for political debates than her working husband does. She also has more time for bible study and listening to sermons and teachings. About the only thing she's doesn't know more about than her husband is his career.

The admonishment for women to learn in silence made sense back then. It doesn't now. God didn't change. We did. That admonishment was likely to an illiterate woman who had no control over her own fertility and likely had several children to care for who spent her days in the company of other illiterate women tending children, hearth and home in isolation from the world around them. That is not how we live today. Today we live in an information era. Even if I can't read, I can listen to the news, religous programming, etc, etc, etc...and be very well informed. Informed enough to make my own decisions instead of just parrot my husband's opinions.

I think you have to consider who the bible passages in question were written to and why they were written. There is danger in trying to make them fit all situations when they weren't meant to.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Please note: June is NOT looking to take this thread off topic. However, in response to the above asking whether we saw youth behave in the ways he/she describes? -YES! That is (in large part) what the 60's were all about. People were *shocked* by what was going on with the "youth culture" and believe me when I say that as societal norms and trends go, what you are witnessing now is NOTHING as compared to what was happening then!

....As good though those memories might be!

Rock on.
In college, I remember a professor using a quote that was found on a tomb stone that was thousands of years old going on about the youth of the day partying and drinking. I wish I could remember it.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:56 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
Quote:

With all due respect, the man indicated in a previous post that not only is he a Christian, but he and his wife have been married forty-seven years next month.

No matter how you slice it, that's impressive, by anyone's standards!

Old 07-17-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I am saying that, very likely, the only difference is people stayed in bad marriages. Just because they stayed in bad marriages doesn't mean their moral compass was better. Financially, women couldn't take care of themselves so they had no choice. They have a choice today.

I'm not saying divorce is right. I'm saying that people just stayed in bad marriages before. Perhaps that's what God expects of us. To stand by the vow we took for better or for worse.
Your comments are based on a lot of assumptions and contradicts my own parents life stories about what it was like in those days.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticphd View Post
god never changes . . . But the stupid ignorant primitive morons who interpeted him and described him 4000 - 2000 + years ago sure have changed and some have become far more intelligent, civilized and educated. You clearly have no clue how the bible came to be what it is today. if you did . . . You would not have the absurd confidence in the way it is currently interpreted. God has left no sign that he has prevented the corruptions, errors, blatant misrepresentations and lies that all human writings and recordings have been subject to throughout history. To expect that he would have done so . . . Especially in light of the clear evidence to the contrary (if you study the history of the bible) . . . Is more than just foolish. it is why god has "written in our hearts" and provided the holy spirit to guide us using the living word of god jesus christ!!!!.
I have reported your message for abuse and insults and a clear violation of forum rules. There is no need to abuse and insult someone just because they disagree with you. When you do that it exposes a really low self-esteem and insecurity in your own beliefs.

But to reply... your comments are misleading, deceptive and in error.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity