U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 04:34 PM

5,925 posts, read 5,844,881 times

Advertisements

We can be confident that it is absolutely trustworthy to confess Jesus as Lord.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:43 PM

7,813 posts, read 10,714,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
We can be confident that it is absolutely trustworthy to confess Jesus as Lord.
June asks this in all sincerity, as it is one thing that she has always wanted to know, but been unable to understand, or "connect the dots" to:

How do you know? --Not based on what you've been taught, or what you've read, or what you've learned. In other words, had you never grown up where and how you did, if you had never heard about Jesus, or been taught/educated about, or raised within a church culture, how would you know?

It's something June has always wondered about...

Take gentle 'thanks in advance' care.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:00 PM

32,302 posts, read 21,155,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
June asks this in all sincerity, as it is one thing that she has always wanted to know, but been unable to understand, or "connect the dots" to:

How do you know? --Not based on what you've been taught, or what you've read, or what you've learned. In other words, had you never grown up where and how you did, if you had never heard about Jesus, or been taught/educated about, or raised within a church culture, how would you know?

Hi June

If we can be trustworthy to our own children , i have no doubt or trouble believing that our Heavenly Father is so much more trustworthy.

Confident in His care

pcamps

Old 07-16-2010, 05:06 PM

5,499 posts, read 4,579,873 times
Default "How to Inherit Eternal Life

Quote:

By this:
Luke 27:25-28 And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?

26 He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?

27 And he answering said, THOU SHALT LOVE THE LORD THY GOD WITH ALL THY HEART, AND WITH ALL THY SOUL, AND WITH ALL THY STRENGTH, AND WITH ALL THY MIND; AND THY NEIGHBOR AS THYSELF.

28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

Blessings...

Old 07-16-2010, 05:40 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,574,261 times
Quote:

By His grace, if I may? If I understand your inquiry, I would take it to mean the same way as asking, if someone was seeking God and was to ever know that Jesus is Lord, how would they know if they lived in some backwater part of the world?

God knows whom is seeking Him from those that are not. If you take in account that the early church is just starting, we see how God led these missionaries away from preaching the gospel to these countries and yet to another.

Acts 16: 6Now when they had gone throughout Phrygia and the region of Galatia, and were forbidden of the Holy Ghost to preach the word in Asia, 7After they were come to Mysia, they assayed to go into Bithynia: but the Spirit suffered them not. 8And they passing by Mysia came down to Troas. 9And a vision appeared to Paul in the night; There stood a man of Macedonia, and prayed him, saying, Come over into Macedonia, and help us. 10And after he had seen the vision, immediately we endeavoured to go into Macedonia, assuredly gathering that the Lord had called us for to preach the gospel unto them.

It has to deal with God's promise, but do note the instructions given to His disciples:

Matthew 7: 6Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you. 7Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: 8For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

God knows there will be those that will hate what they hear, be it religious zealots caught up in the pride of their works and ego or sinners that care not to give up their evil deeds, but He knows who is searching Him from those that do not.

John 3: 18He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. 21But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

John 6:44No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Another account on the promise of God in Acts is one regarding Philip: The Lord told him about an Ethiopian eunuch seeking Him and He led Philip there.

Acts 8: 26And the angel of the Lord spake unto Philip, saying, Arise, and go toward the south unto the way that goeth down from Jerusalem unto Gaza, which is desert. 27And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship, 28Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Esaias the prophet. 29Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot. 30And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest? 31And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him. 32The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth: 33In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth. 34And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man? 35Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus. 36And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? 37And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. 38And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him. 39And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing. 40But Philip was found at Azotus: and passing through he preached in all the cities, till he came to Caesarea.

Now note what happened afterwards above: if the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip up from that place and transported him elsewhere, then I can believe the Lord would transport anyone to any part of the world that are seeking Him and as many heard the good news, they believed and knew that Jesus Christ is Lord. That is why little children can come freely to Him. It is on the Lord to enable us to know and to understand that Jesus Christ is Lord.

Matthew 11: 25At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes. 26Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight. 27All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him. 28Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Galatians 1: 15But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace, 16To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; ......

Here is another example how an unbeliever converting may believe:

1 Corinthians 14:24But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all: 25And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.

Only God would be able to reveal what is on the sinner's heart and by giving the words to speak through a believer, the sinner may finally believe and say that God is in him of a truth, thus the converted sinner will know that Jesus Christ is Lord.

But not all need a sign to believe. Sometimes it is enough that He had died, was buried for three days, has risen from the dead, and is at the right hand of God the Father right now.

John 20:28And Thomas answered and said unto him, My LORD and my God. 29Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

The empty tomb is enough. If He had not risen, christianity would have never been.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:48 PM

11,826 posts, read 10,184,221 times
Quote:

June,
How about this example: (part 1)

At the beginning there was only two people on this forum who had direct contact with you. You as mod set the terms.

Who is ultimatly responsible for keeping the terms?

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Being the mod you know that the entire world population will be on this forum. But the terms do not change...keep the terms perfectly:

So then, who is ultimatly responsible for keeping the terms?
The mod or the posters?

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Knowing well in advance, you know that it is impossible for everyone to keep the terms.

Does that knowledge however excuse who is ultimatly responsible and accountable for keeping the terms ?

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

While there is only two on the forum....you as Mod decide to produce a plan.

The plan is quite simple:
Believe that you as Mod will keep the terms for them perfectly... thereby avoiding ultimatly being banned
      • or
Continue to try to do it on your own and risk everything

who is ultimatly responsible and accountable for keeping the terms ?

\\\\\\\\\\\ need to go...will continue (if you want)/////////////

Old 07-16-2010, 06:23 PM

8,113 posts, read 7,087,882 times
In 1 Corinthians 12:3.....``Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed, and that no man can say that Jesus is Lord but by the Holy Ghost``........ so if any spirit comes to you and tells you some ideas confess to him that Jesus is Lord, If this spirit demeans you, rebuke it in Jesus name...... If you need to find out how to know how trust worthy Jesus is, you need to trust the Lord first and have blind faith to Give him the honor that he deserves by the Words that he said.... In the older days a man word were honored and respected and were trusted, but today the courts of the land have a hard time finding the truth because many people deceive any one for their gain......Through Lord Jesus we are call to believe by faith is the substance of things hoped for , with the evidence of things not seen, or blind faith, By Hebrews 11:1......and through our obedience when we pray the Word of Jesus through Jesus name than miracles will happen and Jesus proves his trustworthyness to the witness of thoughs who believe and live the life and give our witness of things that Jesus did and is doing through our lives and the lives of others.... Glory to God....

Old 07-16-2010, 06:23 PM

7,813 posts, read 10,714,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
June,
How about this example: (part 1)

At the beginning there was only two people on this forum who had direct contact with you. You as mod set the terms.

Who is ultimatly responsible for keeping the terms?

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Being the mod you know that the entire world population will be on this forum. But the terms do not change...keep the terms perfectly:

So then, who is ultimatly responsible for keeping the terms?
The mod or the posters?

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Knowing well in advance, you know that it is impossible for everyone to keep the terms.

Does that knowledge however excuse who is ultimatly responsible and accountable for keeping the terms ?

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

While there is only two on the forum....you as Mod decide to produce a plan.

The plan is quite simple:
Believe that you as Mod will keep the terms for them perfectly... thereby avoiding ultimatly being banned
      • or
Continue to try to do it on your own and risk everything

who is ultimatly responsible and accountable for keeping the terms ?

\\\\\\\\\\\ need to go...will continue (if you want)/////////////
This has got to be one of the more compelling (and creative!) analogies/metaphors June has come upon in a long time...You surprise me, twin!....

Let June think/ponder about it....

Old 07-16-2010, 06:33 PM

32,302 posts, read 21,155,366 times
Quote:
This has got to be the most compelling (and creative!) analogy/metaphor June has come upon in a long time...You surprise me, twin!

Let June think/ponder about it....
What you have to bear in mind June has you ponder about it , is the Creator of such a thing .

Look what Hitler created , it was good for many Germans but not for any of the jews.

Would anyone condemn or fault the jews for rebelling against the decrees or terms that Hitler set in place ?

June no one can convince you to believe , only the Holy Spirit can do this , there are no terms attached to this . He that seeks finds , or in your case "she that seeks finds , the truth is He is seeking you .

Old 07-16-2010, 06:46 PM

13,577 posts, read 21,738,535 times
If I had never, never heard, been taught, read, etc,etc about Jesus, God, creator,I would still gaze at the stars, the setting sun, the trusting look of a baby, the beauty of the nature that surrounds me, the instinct of the geese and other animals in caring for each other and would still have a feeling that it is too perfect, too beautiful, etc to have just "happened" from nothing.

I believe in science and evolution of the lower species and even some evolution in man, but I would spend my life searching for the one who was ultimately making me question how and why..I would search my innermost feelings trying to fill the emptiness I would feel yet not understand.

I truly believe that if I had no knowledge of Him I would unconsciously be communicating with him and He with me..hence my questioning, wondering, and my meditation on the things unknown.

I think I would know and be confident to confess that Jesus is Lord during my last breaths as He makes himself known to me.
Dayton, Akron-Canton in Ohio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or