Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 11:59 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,338,763 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I was reading a bit in the threads here now, and I wanted to post something but felt it wasn't completely in line with any threads.
I had just been out doing some errands, and I began to reflect on something that is very clear about my life path.
I was very, very lost. (Well, I still don't know where the Lord is leading me, but I know that where I was going years ago was a very bad road.)
The life I was leading had a hold on me that not many people are able to "shake." And my friends were in the same boat. (I don't know where they are now, if still with us on earth or not, God knows.)
And I remember a very specific day (I don't remember dates, but I remember events like they were just yesterday). And on this day, something "freed" me from my situation. It was like I had been taken out of a trance.
Only about a year later did I start to feel "hungry" for knowing if God existed, but I was finally drawn, and other experiences followed.

This "trance" I was in did not permit me to "choose Christ." I can say with an honest heart, God knows I lie not, that I had no desire to "seek God." Something MOVED in my life, and without that external change that special day (it didn't seem special in a good way at the time!) I would not be here today.

Can I condemn "sinners?" No. I cannot condemn anyone, because I was on a very bad road, and something outside me helped me. It was not my doing. To me, it was God's doing, and I don't know why He hasn't changed other people like He did me, but I know that I am no better than anyone else.

So I must respect the road everyone is on. I cannot tell people that they are "on the wrong road" or other such admonition, because what do I know what God will do with other creatures He has made? He can do whatever He wants. And I believe that what He does is for the purpose of LOVING.

So all this talk about "man must choose Christ" just doesn't fit my own experience. It seems that God chooses us, if anything!

I don't know if this makes any sense to anyone..

Blessings to all,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 12:02 PM

8,110 posts, read 6,851,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi everyone,
I was reading a bit in the threads here now, and I wanted to post something but felt it wasn't completely in line with any threads.
I had just been out doing some errands, and I began to reflect on something that is very clear about my life path.
I was very, very lost. (Well, I still don't know where the Lord is leading me, but I know that where I was going years ago was a very bad road.)
The life I was leading had a hold on me that not many people are able to "shake." And my friends were in the same boat. (I don't know where they are now, if still with us on earth or not, God knows.)
And I remember a very specific day (I don't remember dates, but I remember events like they were just yesterday). And on this day, something "freed" me from my situation. It was like I had been taken out of a trance.
Only about a year later did I start to feel "hungry" for knowing if God existed, but I was finally drawn, and other experiences followed.

This "trance" I was in did not permit me to "choose Christ." I can say with an honest heart, God knows I lie not, that I had no desire to "seek God." Something MOVED in my life, and without that external change that special day (it didn't seem special in a good way at the time!) I would not be here today.

Can I condemn "sinners?" No. I cannot condemn anyone, because I was on a very bad road, and something outside me helped me. It was not my doing. To me, it was God's doing, and I don't know why He hasn't changed other people like He did me, but I know that I am no better than anyone else.

So I must respect the road everyone is on. I cannot tell people that they are "on the wrong road" or other such admonition, because what do I know what God will do with other creatures He has made? He can do whatever He wants. And I believe that what He does is for the purpose of LOVING.

So all this talk about "man must choose Christ" just doesn't fit my own experience. It seems that God chooses us, if anything!

Blessings to all,
brian

Brian, It makes PERFECT sense.
I feel the same way.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:14 PM

76,959 posts, read 47,272,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi everyone,

Blessings to all,
brian

Did this occur when you became a born again Christian, or when you became a universalist?

Old 07-17-2010, 12:41 PM

Hi Finn..
I'm not sure what you're referring to, but I can say this:
first, I was taken out of a bad situation. I remember a very specific incident where I "felt" something very evil "leave" me. At first I thought I was going crazy, but I never did!

second, as months went by, I began to feel "curious" about God: did He exist? what was He like? was He in one of the "big religions?" etc.

I went through a new-age phase, I studied some other religious teachings, but the Bible was one I focused on mostly because it was what I grew up with. But what I was seeing in the Bible was not what I had been taught! What caught my attention most was the book of Acts, things like prophesying, speaking in tongues, the disciples healing people/raising them from the dead. This all attracted me. I wondered, if this stuff is real, why don't we see it nowadays? And, if this is real, how is it that I could grow up in a church where this is never talked about!
So I was VERY leery of institutional religion. And I still am. I see church groups as mostly against Christ, only interested in getting more members.

But I believe God did touch me a short while later, after praying for the baptism in the Holy Ghost. I had one very very joyful experience on a certain day which I also remember, and that was it. There were other good moments, but an experience like that put my heart at peace. Oh, what I'd give to have that experience again!!

I'm rambling..

Blessings to you,
brian

Old 07-17-2010, 12:43 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,988,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Did this occur when you became a born again Christian, or when you became a universalist?

Why must the two be separate ?Not every "born again" Christian is an ET'er.Why must the attempt be made to make it an "or" situation?

Old 07-17-2010, 12:51 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,434,996 times
Moderator cut: quick reminder

The op did not express a desire to debate ETvsUR

Thank you for your further cooperation

Old 07-17-2010, 12:53 PM

7,991 posts, read 12,226,862 times
Greetings, everyone!

Unless the OT is specifically saying that he became a Christian who adheres to UR, let's not turn this thread into something that it might otherwise not be....

In other words, let's stay "on topic."

Thanks,
Your Friendly Mod...June

Old 07-17-2010, 01:05 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,988,567 times
Good call.I am about sick to death of every thread become an argument on this whether that is the intention of the OP or not.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:07 PM

7,991 posts, read 12,226,862 times
June is amazed that both mods could have done "mod cuts" at the exact, same time, without even being aware of the other doing so!

Wow. Great minds think alike?

Happy "on topic" posting, all!

Old 07-17-2010, 01:20 PM

I think what I'm trying to say is, that man tries to do God's work for Him. Isn't there a verse that says that "except the LORD build the house, they that labour labour in vain"?

Man condemned me. But God saved me.
Man said that I was destined for hell. But God made me destined for Him!
Man said that I had to choose God. But God chose me!

Who are WE to pass any type of judgment on anybody whatsoever?? It's GOD who must save us, not vice versa.

Whoever you are,
Wherever you are,
YOU are God's! YOU have been made by HIM, you didn't make yourself! (Even if the preachers tell you otherwise!)
HE will do with you as HE pleases!
If you don't like God, don't worry about it. Tell the preacher to leave you alone.
If you like God, better! Remember that you are below, and HE is above! Don't forget where you came from! And don't talk to people of things that you don't understand.
Be honest.
God has a work to do in the life of every single person. He calls some now, He calls others later. Remember, that whatever road you're on, you're growing as you should! You might not understand, or like it, but you are still GOD's! And you can rest assured that whatever happens, it will work out alright, because God made you, you are not expendible, you are loved.

Blessings to all,
brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity