Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 08:21 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The Bible means that the talking is done by believers, but it is a sign to unbelievers. It does not mean that unbelievers would speak in tongues.
While it is true that only some believers have this gift, I have never seen a room full of people where all are speaking in tongues. I mentioned earlier that my pastor told me of churches which believe that speaking in tongues is proof of salvation, and in those churches people fake it. But to claim that 100% of people in Pentecostal and Charismatic churches who speak in tongues is false, is a false claim. Some people in those churches actually have this gift.
I do not personally speak in tongues, but I know some people who pray in tongues and they are not faking it. You are correct in saying that is only edifies the speaker, and no one else who cannot understand the prayer.
This absurd superstitious interpretation of the original ACTUAL gift of speaking in existing foreign tongues is ludicrous. If it is NOT a recognizable existing foreign language . . . it is gibberish and foolishness of gullible and impressionable fools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 08:23 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This absurd superstitious interpretation of the original ACTUAL gift of speaking in existing foreign tongues is ludicrous. If it is NOT a recognizable existing foreign language . . . it is gibberish and foolishness of gullible and impressionable fools.
Why do you always have to be so disrespectful? Did I say something to offend you?

Old 07-19-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Why do you always have to be so disrespectful and bitter? Did I say something to offend you?
All is in the eye of the beholder. God is no superstition, no magical nonsense, no laughing stock of foolishness. God is REAL and within each and every one of us and everything is scientifically based . . . not "supernatural."

Old 07-19-2010, 08:33 PM

365 posts, read 511,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisTime2010 View Post
Wow! That's something. Can't speak for that, BUT I am Pentacostal Charismatic. Our church is non denomination, but we aren't like that. I might add my pastor doesn't constantly ask for money either. I think some of this stuff is extreme. I will say this. Many of you may have read my early post where I said I came from the Church of Christ. Well it was COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. When I started visiting "Holiness Churches." I was at this church were they were speaking in tongues & I could hear the pastor clearly. I didn't even know he was speaking in tongues. I was saying something like, "umm that's good or that's right & my friend said, you can hear him? I said, yeah can't you. I thought hello!! She said how can you hear him? I said what? He's speaking. She said, yeah - he speaking in tongues. We both just looked at each other & got quiet. Later in the car I told her what I heard, but I dare not say anthing in that church. For one I was just a visitor looking for a church as I was leaving the COC. And 2 the COC hadn't taught us any of that. So I was like wow! Yep I got many experiences once again a reason I'm on this board. Maybe one day I'll tell about my going to Africa & the mean missionaries over there. I was shocked & embarassed as an American, a Christian & a Missionary.
Always remember a few things:

1. NOWHERE in ENTIRE Bible did anyone speak in unknown tongues. It was ALWAYS in KNOWN languages to lead someone to Jesus. Read my posts above.

2. 1Cor 14:22 says tongues is NOT for believers, so when you see a room full of believers talking in uknown tongues then you not it is not of God.

3. Not everyone gets the same gifts. Some get tongues, but not everyone. So when you see a room full of people having the same apparent tongue gift, that is a contradiction of Bible and should concern you that it may be from Satan!

Old 07-19-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
The Bible means that the talking is done by believers, but it is a sign to unbelievers. It does not mean that unbelievers would speak in tongues.

While it is true that only some believers have this gift, I have never seen a room full of people where all are speaking in tongues. I mentioned earlier that my pastor told me of churches which believe that speaking in tongues is proof of salvation, and in those churches people fake it. But to claim that 100% of people in Pentecostal and Charismatic churches who speak in tongues is false, is a false claim. Some people in those churches actually have this gift.

I do not personally speak in tongues, but I know some people who pray in tongues and they are not faking it. You are correct in saying that is only edifies the speaker, and no one else who cannot understand the prayer.
Your post is erroneous and you have added things to the Bible which ain't there.

You have no idea who you are meddling with and what you are doing. This Charismatic tongues is Satan's counterfeit tongues.

Realise that Satan counterfeits EVERYTHING of God. So if these Charismatic unknown gibberish tongues is not Satan's counterfeit tongues, what is?

Old 07-19-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Why do you always have to be so disrespectful? Did I say something to offend you?
Do not worry Finn, MysticPhD always abuses and insults everyone who disagrees with him. That's how he deals with his insecurities.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:38 PM

23,012 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHeart View Post
Do not worry Finn, MysticPhD always abuses and insults everyone who disagrees with him. That's how he deals with his insecurities.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Ah . . PH my brother . . . you should be so secure.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:28 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,610 times
Quote:

While it is true that only some believers have this gift, I have never seen a room full of people where all are speaking in tongues.
Then you obviously have never spent any time inside an Assembly of God congregation. There are other denominations where such silliness goes on, but I think the Assembly of God churches take the prize for the most faking of spiritual gifts.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:45 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,615,424 times
Quote:
You have wrongly read something into the Scriptures which simply ain't there.

Paul was never talking in unknown and gibberish tongues, in public or in private. You have been taught wrong about that.

Nowhere in entire Bible will you see Paul talking in unknown and gibberish tongues. Nowhere at all!
Hmmmm... "For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful".

What do you think this means PH? Does it fit your paradigm? If so - how?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity