Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 12:19 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,129,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
June couldn't resist this ^ one!

~So by way of taking a momentary break from the still waging battle, June was just sitting around her office pondering when and how she first heard of heaven and hell. Interestingly enough, she was just a little "just June" of somewhere around the age of four; possibly five. June somehow came to be told that only Christians were allowed in heaven, and she remembers having asked her mother whether a non-Christian family member would also be "allowed in" as well. The answer little June received back was "No." (From there June asked whether the family's beloved golden retriever dog could also go to heaven when he died; the answer, not surprisingly was "No.")

From the above June surmises that her nonbelieving self no doubt began to set in at the tender age of four or five, because June specifically remembers thinking that what she was told simply didn't make any sense. June knows for a fact that she pondered this bit of information for a good long while, even at a young age. She couldn't make sense of "God loves us" but that one of her family members wouldn't be going to heaven, but to hell, along with June's beloved dog...

Thus, the mini-bio of the "just June" early onset of atheism...Not that it matters. Ho hum.

Take gentle care.
This is the questioning every UR believer went through while they still believed in ET, before they came to understand UR. So simple a child can understand.

Just don't throw God out with the bath water!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 12:19 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Jesus is the culmination of the spiritual template (DNA codes) built in to the evolution of the species . . . and revealed in the "spiritual fossil record" from the earliest oral traditions, and recorded legends, myths, etc. There is a clear evolution. Your familiarity with the records should enable the discernment of this "template" and the increasing sophistication of its manifestation through time.
Okee Dokee...thanks for your input.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:21 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Your welcome! How could I (or anyone) be in heavenly bliss knowing "just june" is in torment?

Peace out....
(from microsoft free clip art)

Yaaah man ..... like bummer.

like...the Big Man never laid it on me .... cool?

The Man never said it would ......Peace out man.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:21 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He talked about believers in general, not just one person's opinon. When he was challenged, he admitted he has heard only one person say it, and even that seemed to have been taken out of context. Don't defend the undefendable. Read his post. I believe it is still there.

It is a perfect example of the UR mud-slinging that is going on here on daily bases.
You read, Finn . . he gave THREE versions of reactions and responses that are found in the ET view. NONE of them were assigned to ALL who are misguided enough to believe in ET. Which one is yours? Do you have a different response? What is it?

Old 07-21-2010, 12:26 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Jesus is the culmination of the spiritual template (DNA codes) built in to the evolution of the species . . . and revealed in the "spiritual fossil record" from the earliest oral traditions, and recorded legends, myths, etc. There is a clear evolution. Your familiarity with the records should enable the discernment of this "template" and the increasing sophistication of its manifestation through time.
Mystic, I'm pretty much in the same boat as Christy right now as far as where my beliefs about god are at. But, I have to tell you, your post really made me take a step back and ponder. Very interesting take on it. Thanks for sharing.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:27 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Hi Ilene. I don't think I've ever said this because I don't post much, but I lurk here often and I was really happy for you when I realized that you had come out of the torment of believing in ET. Having been a believer in ET for many, many years I know personally what an incredible burden was lifted from me when I stopped believing it. So I'm grateful for you that you've come to a different understanding.

I also wanted to address what you wrote above. I know Christy has already responded that she does not agree that she has the nature of Jesus Christ, but putting that side for just a moment (hope you don't mind Christy) I'd like to ask you something:

If Christy has the nature of Christ, why is it important for her to believe in him? Jesus reportedly called himself the "way, truth and life". If Christy believes that "love/nature" is the way to "salvation" (even though her understanding of "salvation" is living in love in the here and now without concern for an after life), why is it important for her to call that way/nature/love "Jesus"?

I'm not challenging you so I hope it doesn't sound that way, but am truly interested in hearing your (and anyone else's) thoughts.

Pleroo
I am really interested in hearing a response to this myself...thanks Pleroo.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:34 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
June couldn't resist this ^ one!

~So by way of taking a momentary break from the still waging battle, June was just sitting around her office pondering when and how she first heard of heaven and hell. Interestingly enough, she was just a little "just June" of somewhere around the age of four; possibly five. June somehow came to be told that only Christians were allowed in heaven, and she remembers having asked her mother whether a non-Christian family member would also be "allowed in" as well. The answer little June received back was "No." (From there June asked whether the family's beloved golden retriever dog could also go to heaven when he died; the answer, not surprisingly was "No.")

From the above June surmises that her nonbelieving self no doubt began to set in at the tender age of four or five, because June specifically remembers thinking that what she was told simply didn't make any sense. June knows for a fact that she pondered this bit of information for a good long while, even at a young age. She couldn't make sense of "God loves us" but that one of her family members wouldn't be going to heaven, but to hell, along with June's beloved dog...

Thus, the mini-bio of the "just June" early onset of atheism...Not that it matters. Ho hum.

Take gentle care.
Very similar genesis to my atheism . . . similar age. My beloved dog was an adorable white mutt named Gigi. What we embrace in love within our consciousness is always going to be with us . . . because our consciousness is eternal (pure energy). Only the hate and negative moments will be "refined" out (transformed by God's spiritual "fire.")

Old 07-21-2010, 12:35 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
No I was not just talking about one poster. There is a movement of Christians out there - usually more Calvinist in nature, who believe they will be rejoicing and glorying along with God over the rest of humanity burning in torment. I gave you one example. Do you really want me to dig through the archives of the internet to find more examples? Check out the Phelps family. Check out posts by one "beloved57". Check out some of the posts on CARM, especially the Calvinist section. Read some sermons by Jonathan Edwards. This view is more prevalent than you think. I'm glad it is not your view. I never said it was the view of every ET believer.

I'm not going to argue about this with you all day.You are just causing a distraction. My posts stand for themselves, if you would only read them carefully.
You attributed it to those with "ET view". I asked you to define who is included in the "ET view", so here is your change to define it. Thanks.

PS What you say about CARM is not true.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:40 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,937,610 times
Instead of asking just some of the ETer's, let's ask all of them.

ETer's, please score the questions using the following point scale.

0 = No
1 = Sometimes
2 = Often
3 = Yes

Do you:

1. Do you secretly wish you could light all the UR's on fire? Add an additional point if you grind your teeth while having this thought.

2. Do you find yourself thinking about bad people (UR's in particular) going to a place called Hell? Add an additional two points if you dream about it.

3. Do you store matches and gasoline cans in your house? Add three points if stored in your bedroom next to your bible.

4. Are you the first one to run outside when the firetruck passes by? Add a point if if get in your car and follow the truck.

5. Do you find yourself sitting and gazing intently into a roaring fireplace? Add an additional three points if you do this during the summer months.

Score card tally:

0 = Safe
1 - 5 = Border line
6 - 10= Unsafe
Over 10 = Check yourself into the ER, now!

Old 07-21-2010, 12:40 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,129,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You attributed it to those with "ET view". I asked you to define who is included in the "ET view", so here is your change to define it. Thanks.
ET view = belief in ET.

I said it was one of three possible views that an ET believer might take. PLEASE read my posts Finn.

Quote:
PS What you say about CARM is not true.
Again, I said check out "SOME of the posts at CARM". It depends on the particular poster. YMMV depending on how widely you read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity