Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 10:31 AM

1,897 posts, read 2,112,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Rules? No, that is the definition of love.
Yes, I thought of that after I posted it. These are not rules. This is the definition of God, who IS Love. This is how He defines Himself. There's nothing there about abusing, torturing, not forgiving, or setting people on fire, etc.

Last edited by Bright Hope for Tomorrow; 07-22-2010 at 10:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 10:39 AM

1,897 posts, read 2,112,911 times
Quote:
Yep, love is the fruit of salvation, not the other way round.
Love is a fruit of the Spirit.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:09 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
This is the definition of God, who IS Love. This is how He defines Himself. There's nothing there about abusing, torturing, not forgiving, or setting people on fire, etc.
No, not in that particular verse. It is useful to read the whole Bible to get the whole picture

Old 07-22-2010, 11:20 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,435,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Have you ever read or seen where God does not get what he wills, wants or desires? That's a big NO.
Eisegesis of THELO once again....when will it stop?

Old 07-22-2010, 11:21 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
Quote:
Then must have really desired for everyone to sin so he could drown mankind in the flood. All except Noah's crew of course.
Yes He must of because they did. Nothing happens without God's foreknowledge so He knew they would sin and He knew He would send a flood. How can you set such limitations on our Creator? He is without limits and He WILL save all mankind because that is what He desires.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:28 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,435,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
Yes, I thought of that after I posted it. These are not rules. This is the definition of God, who IS Love. This is how He defines Himself. There's nothing there about abusing, torturing, not forgiving, or setting people on fire, etc.
God is not ONLY ove. This is Apostatical teaching. Gays and Lesbians, Universalist/Unitarians, Buddhists, Hindus, United Church of Christ, New Age adherents, Christian Mystics, Sufi adherents, Church of Christ-Scientists, Sikh adherents, Zoroastrians and the deeply Black Magick House of Theosophy, all teach this doctrine.

GOD OF THE BIBLE IS NOT ONLY LOVE

Matthew 7:21-23 Not everyone who says to Me, Lord, Lord, will enter the kingdom of heaven ... Many will say to Me on that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name and driven out demons in Your name and done many mighty works in Your name? And then I will say to them openly, I never knew you; depart from Me, you who act wickedly, disregarding My commands.

Because of Christ, God extended His love for mankind, but it is only through the belief in Christ, where that love is reached to one that accepts Him.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:30 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerimiahJohnson View Post
Hello Ilene Wright,

It appears your assessment of what God wants, wills and desires in the Bible is incorrect. It is very important that you are well versed in many of the areas before you consider engaging in a lengthy debate such as the one between UR and ET. But to answer your question, there are many places where God did not get what He wanted. For starters you and your sin. Also, to be grammatically in unison with I Tim 2:4, which Is what you both seem to be referring to, take a look at the Jews in Matt 23.

O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, [thou] that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under [her] wings, and ye would not!

Blue Letter Bible - Lexicon

God bless you in your studies.
My assessment is not an assessment at all, it is what the scriptures say. I understand that you are of the ET persuasion and that you have not had the veil lifted (as of yet) to see the TRUTH of God's word and to understand what it really means. I spent many years blinded by man's ET teachings and I am well versed in the Bible so to say that I am unable to debate EITHER side is....well....insulting and just not true.

There's nothing to debate IMO as UR is the truth and I wish you all the best in your studies and hopefully you will consider removing the blinders long enough to take a good, long and hard look at what it is that UR is really all about and why one of the most staunch ETer's on this board now believes it and knows it to be truth. God is love and Jesus stressed what the two most important things are....LOVE God and each other.

The Christian Universalist Association ~ Christian Universalism

Old 07-22-2010, 11:52 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
My assessment is not an assessment at all, it is what the scriptures say. I understand that you are of the ET persuasion and that you have not had the veil lifted (as of yet) to see the TRUTH of God's word and to understand what it really means. I spent many years blinded by man's ET teachings and I am well versed in the Bible so to say that I am unable to debate EITHER side is....well....insulting and just not true.

There's nothing to debate IMO as UR is the truth and I wish you all the best in your studies and hopefully you will consider removing the blinders long enough to take a good, long and hard look at what it is that UR is really all about and why one of the most staunch ETer's on this board now believes it and knows it to be truth. God is love and Jesus stressed what the two most important things are....LOVE God and each other.

That link had some cool stuff in it;

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUA View Post
The Bible makes it clear that God should be regarded as the Father of all people (Mal. 2:10, Mat. 6:9, Eph. 4:6); that all human beings, both male and female, are created in the divine image according to God's own likeness (Gen. 1:26-27), which therefore encompasses both genders (Isa. 66:13, Mat. 23:37); that the Light or Spirit of God is within us (Job 33:4, Ps. 51:10-11, Mat. 5:14, Mark 1:8, Luke 11:35-36); that we are literally God's offspring (Acts 17:28), and in a sense are "gods" (Ps. 82:6, John 10:34); and that someday we will actually be able to manifest the powers of gods, as Jesus was already able to do (Mat. 17:20, Luke 6:40, John 14:12, 1 Cor. 6:2-3).
It just keeps getting better.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:03 PM

180 posts, read 262,394 times
Quote:

Hello Ilene Wright,

My apologies if I came off strong, but I do not think I did. It seems you are rather defensive, and I am sorry for that. However, with all emotions put aside, your interpretation is incorrect, as the text concludes that over your belief system. This doctrine, based off 1 Tim 2, which deals with God's will, better translated as desire and want, a passive verb that simply does not support God's sovereign will. As a previous poster just noted, the verb in question, THELO, has a profound lack of foundation on your part, and the universalist eschatology. That is what universalism is really, a erred eschatology. Also Ilene Wright, what makes you believe what spiritual walk and path I have taken, and how profound and personal it has been with Jesus Christ and myself? It also seems your attitude is rather negative, and personally, in my short time at this forum, I have noticed there is plenty of anger throughout the whole list of members on both sides of the fence.
I understand the denial of these things, on either side is difficult to understand and grasp, but these doctrines in the Bible are very clear, so that a child can understand it. Christ's sacrifice is beneficial for those who believe. God's love is extended to all mankind, but mankind must believe in Him to benefit from that love. These subjects are very clear and when I was a child, I understood them. I wanted to be with my grandma, and that is where she is, and that is where I wanted to go, and Christ gave me the ability to see my grandmother when I die. The Bible does not support salvation after one has died, and indeed every knee will bow to Christ after they die to be judged, to be gifted with eternal life, or eternal death. Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live. For the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation. Everyone will hear Christ's voice when He calls us out of our graves, but this would be a judicial matter, and after we are all called to judgement, and bow to Him, which does not give us the green light of salvation. Grace is given to us based on faith, in our lives now. Not after we have died. The whole purpose of the judgement of our lives. He is Lord and God, the Alpha and Omega, and of course all will bow and confess who He is at judgement, but this text does not support a free pass into Heaven. The Bible just doesn't support that doctrine. God bless you in your search for the truth Ilene Wright, God will lead you to His message, in time, as He will do with all of us, on His time, not ours.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:08 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,129,837 times
Hi JeremiahJohnson,

If I may interject: do you believe sin will always exist? Jesus came to take away the sin of the world, to destroy the works of the devil, to destroy sin & death. I think He will accomplish this.

It is a common argument to say God does not get what He wants because we sin. But IMHO this is a flawed argument that is missing the big picture and the end goal.

Look at it this way:
God desires us not to sin. One day this will be fully achieved.
Likewise, God desires all men to be saved. One day this will also be fully achieved.

And of course we are looking at this from our finite perspective within the continuum of time. From God's point of view, its already a done deal.

Now, if you believe sin will always exist, then perhaps that is a different issue to tackle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity