U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 02:04 AM

3,381 posts, read 3,379,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Verna,

I just don't understand you and I disagree on a number of your personal beliefs. If you find that "unloving" - what can I do, really? You are a very sensitive soul as far as I can tell - but also quick to condemn those who disagree with you. But I don't think any of us can easily help "where we are" spiritually. As Jesus asked, can a leopard change its spots? Obviously the answer is no. And Jesus also said we could not add one cubit to our stature. So we are all in need of God's mercy. Without him we can do nothing (to grow spiritually).

Heartsong
Maybe if I use enough willpower I can grow beyond my 5ft 1in stature.

*Scrunching up face really, really hard*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 02:21 AM

4,346 posts, read 5,565,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Maybe if I use enough willpower I can grow beyond my 5ft 1in stature.

*Scrunching up face really, really hard*
Don't do that! It may turn hairs gray! (but not white or black )

Old 07-26-2010, 02:31 AM

3,381 posts, read 3,379,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Don't do that! It may turn hairs gray! (but not white or black )

I may get wrinkles, as well. My husband is always telling me to stop scowling or I'll get lines in my forehead. I tell him I'm not scowling, just thinking. Problem is, I'm always thinking while staring intently, often pointed in the direction of other people.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:34 AM

1,895 posts, read 4,038,777 times
Quote:
Can you see the difference in one who has asked God with a pure heart to come into them...only to continually sin and sin and sin...the same sins over and over again...days and months and years on end...never growing, then dieing in that sin...
I don't believe I've ever known anyone to do this. Who do you know, in your own personal life, that has received God with a pure heart, and then "continually sinned and sinned?" I've never seen anyone receive Christ and then "sin and sin," willfully and deliberately.
I also suggest that "keeping the Sabbath" does not include arguing and debating on an internet forum.
I would think one intent on "keeping the Sabbath" would spend the day in reverence, rest, prayer, and communion with the Lord, instead of arguing and debating whether someone else is bound for hell.......JMHO

Old 07-26-2010, 07:45 AM

1,895 posts, read 4,038,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
MISSING THE MARK?

When the question of sin comes up Christian teachers are quick to point
out that sin has to do with "missing the mark".

The Greek word Sin hamartia (G264) is derived from the root word
hamartanō (G266) which historically was an archers term that means to
"miss the mark" . (See definitons below):

[With that in mind, Modern Christianity in an attempt to trivialize
willful sin often says something like this]:

"Therefore to sin merely means to miss the mark; which seems to be a
small thing since nobody hits the mark every time - right? After all
nobody is perfect."

To understand the true meaning it must be understood that the root word
meant much more than just missing the bulls eye from time to time. It
means to miss the mark and so not share in the prize.

For example: Think of a King gathering an army of archers and he had
them tested to see if they could hit a target with their bow and arrow.
Those who missed the mark were disqualified.

That is the sense of the Greek word "hamartanō" The archer did not get
more chances - it was miss and out. The word denotes failure with
consequences.

In the Biblical sense the word "sin" which is derived from "hamartanō"
refers to those who miss the mark by breaking God's commandments - that
was how John used it in context concerning willful sin.

1Jn 3:4 Whosoever committeth SIN transgresseth also the law:
for SIN is the transgression of the law.

Those who sin ignorantly have missed the mark God has established in the
ten commandments. They can be forgiven.

Those who commit sin (miss the mark) willfuly, are not children of God.

1Jn 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil
1Jn 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin;

Definitions:
G266 hamartia sin - offence, sin (-ful). -From G264;

(G264 hamartanō properly to miss the mark (and so not share in the prize).

In Christ's love...prayerfully inHis truth,
Verna.
I also have never heard ANY preacher or teacher attempt to trivialize sin. The difference between what you posted, and what you attempted to portray, is that you (apparently) believe holy living is a product of keeping rules. The ten commandments. Keep those ten things & you're covered. A list. What to do, and what not to do.

That is not what the Lord taught.

He taught the exact opposite, He taught about our hearts, our thoughts, our interior, our minds, the inside of people, the judging of others vs. removing the speck from one's own eye.....

"Missing the mark" is not trivializing sin, it is pointing out that at all times, we should give the Lord our very best. It is pointing out that, there is one step beyond, by which we can come closer to Him.

It is not to condemn the brethren or trivialize sin. Satan is the accuser of the brethren.

It is to point out that we should watch our OWN walk, as pride goeth before a fall.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:11 PM

3,576 posts, read 451,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
I also have never heard ANY preacher or teacher attempt to trivialize sin. The difference between what you posted, and what you attempted to portray, is that you (apparently) believe holy living is a product of keeping rules. The ten commandments. Keep those ten things & you're covered. A list. What to do, and what not to do.

That is not what the Lord taught.

He taught the exact opposite, He taught about our hearts, our thoughts, our interior, our minds, the inside of people, the judging of others vs. removing the speck from one's own eye.....

"Missing the mark" is not trivializing sin, it is pointing out that at all times, we should give the Lord our very best. It is pointing out that, there is one step beyond, by which we can come closer to Him.

It is not to condemn the brethren or trivialize sin. Satan is the accuser of the brethren.

It is to point out that we should watch our OWN walk, as pride goeth before a fall.
Agreed!!

Old 07-26-2010, 07:24 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,441,973 times
Default Missing the mark, may be ambiguous.

O.K. we fail because we had the earnest desire to do something and we did for no evident reason DO IT as somewhat something else.

Nevertheless, the facts remains that we that the perfection is the form of existential representation of the MARK being there. It is also important to question why we want something so BAD. Perhaps that is in itself already guilty of the grave Sin of Wrath.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:00 PM

1,897 posts, read 1,720,522 times
Quote:
BHfT, I can picture this person standing before God...Him knowing All things...taking all things into consideration, will be a just and fair God in His judgement.

Can you see the difference in one who has asked God with a pure heart to come into them...only to continually sin and sin and sin...the same sins over and over again...days and months and years on end...never growing, then dieing in that sin...
...and one who receives Jesus into their heart, and genuinely learns and grows daily through their trials and temptations...learning and maturing...then dies before they have been born-again...?...
...and then there is the one who never does receive Jesus into their heart...never going forth in a process of working out their OWN! salvation...never coming anywhere close to that "place" of being born-again before they die...?

If even I can see the difference in the attempts of the soul...I am sure God does!...He knows the heart of the matter.

...then you explain it to me, the difference, as you see it.

o.k.
How have I done this?
...it does break my heart...you just said that you appreciated the way I feel for them and try to see their needs...?...you didn't really mean that did you...?
...really...? and where did I ever say this...?...have I not been clear in stating that He is faithful...and waiting for those who will...to come...?...forever waiting..that is until He quits waiting..which a time will come when He stops.
I sure do.
...so not true BHfT...so not true. Everyone is judged upon the light they have...and that is God's place. But you and those of you who post on this forum...you have been given the light of truth...the WHOLE! truth, and you will be judged accordingly as well. You've heard it...over and over again...and you will accept it or reject it...and will be judged acordingly.

In Christ's love...prayerfully in His truth,
Verna.

Verna, I guess I'm just a little confused by your beliefs because I thought I understood from your previous posts, that you believe you have to die with no willful sin counted against you to be saved. Your post above doesn't sound like that.

I think growing in spiritual maturity has nothing to do with whether or not you are "saved." I have children and they are growing up, but they were my children the day they were born and still are. They don't gradually become my children. I just don't get what you've said.

To me, you give yourself more credit than God to be all sad an broken-hearted for the ones you think are lost, but to think God has a "got 'cha" mentality and will kill off those who die with unrepentant sin. That makes you more merciful than God. Again, this is what I've understood from your previous posts.

I really do appreciate the way you feel for people based on your OP. I'm just saying that you seem to make yourself more merciful than God. You say you love people (and I take it sinners, too?), but you believe God hates sinners. That makes you more loving than God, and IMO, means you elevate yourself above Him.

You said, "Everyone is judged upon the light they have...and that is God's place," which I agree with... you reap what you sow. I'm just confused because I thought you believed that if someone doesn't always keep the ten commandments they were not saved.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:04 PM

2,981 posts, read 4,303,496 times
Quote:
MISSING THE MARK?

When the question of sin comes up Christian teachers are quick to point
out that sin has to do with "missing the mark".

Verna.
Zion is the waymark. Sinners are cut off from and cast out of Mount Zion, as waymarkers. Mount Eden was also called Mount Zion, of old.
Zion means "waymark".
Zion is personified as a woman, in Scriptures, and when Adam fell, "Zion" was then become a "widow", barren; for all her Adam seed sons [of the Spirit] died in Adam.

So what is "the Way"? -Jesus Christ is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. Eve meant "life" for she was to mother the living seed [created in the loins of the Adamhead =firstborn, , who all died the death of separation from the glory of the Father in the fall of the firstborn.

That's Scripture, on what the mark shows the Way to, that Adam cannot reach the goal of, in the fall..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity