U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-22-2010, 11:05 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 6,235,614 times
Reputation: 837

Advertisements

MISSING THE MARK?

When the question of sin comes up Christian teachers are quick to point
out that sin has to do with "missing the mark".

The Greek word Sin hamartia (G264) is derived from the root word
hamartanō (G266) which historically was an archers term that means to
"miss the mark" . (See definitons below):

[With that in mind, Modern Christianity in an attempt to trivialize
willful sin often says something like this]:

"Therefore to sin merely means to miss the mark; which seems to be a
small thing since nobody hits the mark every time - right? After all
nobody is perfect."

To understand the true meaning it must be understood that the root word
meant much more than just missing the bulls eye from time to time. It
means to miss the mark and so not share in the prize.

For example: Think of a King gathering an army of archers and he had
them tested to see if they could hit a target with their bow and arrow.
Those who missed the mark were disqualified.

That is the sense of the Greek word "hamartanō" The archer did not get
more chances - it was miss and out. The word denotes failure with
consequences.

In the Biblical sense the word "sin" which is derived from "hamartanō"
refers to those who miss the mark by breaking God's commandments - that
was how John used it in context concerning willful sin.

1Jn 3:4 Whosoever committeth SIN transgresseth also the law:
for SIN is the transgression of the law.

Those who sin ignorantly have missed the mark God has established in the
ten commandments. They can be forgiven.

Those who commit sin (miss the mark) willfuly, are not children of God.

1Jn 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil
1Jn 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin;

Definitions:
G266 hamartia sin - offence, sin (-ful). -From G264;

(G264 hamartanō properly to miss the mark (and so not share in the prize).

In Christ's love...prayerfully inHis truth,
Verna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-23-2010, 02:51 AM
 
Location: Italy
6,387 posts, read 5,109,662 times
Reputation: 866
Hi Verna,

You know, I often feel a great LOVE towards people who are sinners.. even some of the most "willful." -And it's a love that I believe would still be there no matter what they did or didn't do. I wonder why I feel that way??

Blessings and love to you,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2010, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 6,235,614 times
Reputation: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi Verna,

You know, I often feel a great LOVE towards people who are sinners.. even some of the most "willful." -And it's a love that I believe would still be there no matter what they did or didn't do. I wonder why I feel that way??

Blessings and love to you,
brian
Because God designed you Brian, in His image...and like I"ve said to you in days gone by...you are destined to serve Him Brian...and you will serve Him, you will keep His commandments...all of them...one day you will "see" and understand what I've been fighting endlessly for you and others to understand.

...and Dear Brian...Believe it or not...so do I feel a great LOVE! towards people who are sinners!..so much! that I cannot lie to them!!!

Honestly, if you knew me personally...you would love me!......and I don't say that because I think I am anything great..because I truly do not think of myself as anything near to great...I stinketh!!!......it is only Christ in me who is so wonderfully loving...truly. But I love everyone...EVERYONE!, no matter who they are!

I love everyone my eyes see...really...when I see a homeless person...dirty, stinking, my heart goes out to them...when I see WANTED! photos with faces...(no matter what their offense may be) I see faces...eyes...noses...mouths...hair (or not)...skin (is it weather beaten, or the bags under the eyes, or the depth of the lines in their faces)...I look at people's faces Brian...I look into their eyes...to see what I can see...pain?...despair?...sorrow?...emptyness?...de pression?...loneliness?...in my heart I always know and understand there is a human being here, behind this face...years of abuse?...maybe...years of wrong choices?...maybe...years of rejection?...maybe...I never see color of skin...I never see poor or rich...I never see what they are wearing...I just see Jesus in each of their faces...and the love and compassion I have for them all is deeply imbedded within me...I can't help it. Sometimes (a lot of times) when I simply sit down to eat a meal...I cry...because I can't help but think of all the people in the world who do not have so much as a piece of bread...or a cup of water.....it makes me cry just to think abut it now...

It is this love Brian that drives me to want to scream from the highest mountain to everyone I can...who has the ability...to come to Christ...to live your life for Him...as passionately as you can...love Him like He deserves to be loved...like He asks us to love Him...in the way He commands us to love Him...He knows what He requires of us...and states it clearly in His Word...we need only to seek earnestly His truth, and He can be found within His truth Brian...not man's...His truth...but one MUST! first believe that the Bible is truly the inspired written Word of the Living God by the Holy Spirit of Christ, given to prophets and the Apostles to be our living guide toward God and His Kingdom for eternity...Christ as The Foundation...The Cornerstone...The Head of the body of true believer's who obey His commandments....not forsaking the seventh day Sabbath, the fourth commandment...breaking one, you break them all...therefore you transgress the law...sin is the transgression of the law...and the law is the TEN Commandments...plain and simple.

I want everyone I know to know His truth...I want every sinner to wake up and realize what their purpose here on earth is...and our only reason for ever being created is to worship God...this is all we were made to do...worship the LORD in ALL! we say and ALL! we do...keeping His commandments...all TEN of them.

I love you Brian...I truly do.

In Christ's love...prayerfully in His truth,
Verna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,271 posts, read 20,878,318 times
Reputation: 9952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
MISSING THE MARK?

When the question of sin comes up Christian teachers are quick to point
out that sin has to do with "missing the mark".

The Greek word Sin hamartia (G264) is derived from the root word
hamartanō (G266) which historically was an archers term that means to
"miss the mark" . (See definitons below):

[With that in mind, Modern Christianity in an attempt to trivialize
willful sin often says something like this]:

"Therefore to sin merely means to miss the mark; which seems to be a
small thing since nobody hits the mark every time - right? After all
nobody is perfect."

To understand the true meaning it must be understood that the root word
meant much more than just missing the bulls eye from time to time. It
means to miss the mark and so not share in the prize.

For example: Think of a King gathering an army of archers and he had
them tested to see if they could hit a target with their bow and arrow.
Those who missed the mark were disqualified.

That is the sense of the Greek word "hamartanō" The archer did not get
more chances - it was miss and out. The word denotes failure with
consequences.

In the Biblical sense the word "sin" which is derived from "hamartanō"
refers to those who miss the mark by breaking God's commandments - that
was how John used it in context concerning willful sin.

1Jn 3:4 Whosoever committeth SIN transgresseth also the law:
for SIN is the transgression of the law.

Those who sin ignorantly have missed the mark God has established in the
ten commandments. They can be forgiven.

Those who commit sin (miss the mark) willfuly, are not children of God.

1Jn 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil
1Jn 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin;

Definitions:
G266 hamartia sin - offence, sin (-ful). -From G264;

(G264 hamartanō properly to miss the mark (and so not share in the prize).

In Christ's love...prayerfully inHis truth,
Verna.
Verna, I agree with you that "missing the mark" is an explanation that trivializes sin. Sinning involves much more than simply not constantly measuring up to a standard of perfection and should be taken very seriously. I disagree with you, though, that sinners are not children of God. A parent-child relationship is not disolved by disobedience. I believe that sinners are still His children, but that their sins are a source of anguish for Him as any child's sins are to any loving parent. He wants nothing more than for them to repent, but does not simply disown them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,965 posts, read 5,569,905 times
Reputation: 1579
Verna, you might as well give up boasting in your own righteousness. It is a losing battle you are fighting.......... you are not better than even the worst sinner on the face of the earth. Why can't people believe that? I know, it goes against the ego to consider oneself equal with the worst sinner.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...l#post15195978
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Seward, Alaska
2,739 posts, read 7,643,856 times
Reputation: 1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Verna, you might as well give up boasting in your own righteousness. It is a losing battle you are fighting.......... you are not better than even the worst sinner on the face of the earth. Why can't people believe that? I know, it goes against the ego to consider oneself equal with the worst sinner.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...l#post15195978


Wait a sec Heartsong...I didn't see anything Verna wrote that could be construed as "boasting". I don't recall that she has said she is "more righteous", or better, than anyone else either. Why the judgement and negativity? Common...let her speak her peace, and then let's move on. Maybe we all will learn something about "missing the mark", if we can get past this stumbling block...

Just IMO...

Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,271 posts, read 20,878,318 times
Reputation: 9952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
I want every sinner to wake up and realize what their purpose here on earth is...and our only reason for ever being created is to worship God...this is all we were made to do.
I'm curious as to why you believe this -- that the only reason God created us was to worship Him. Don't get me wrong; I do worship Him, and I recognize that every single solitary blessing I have comes from Him. But I certainly don't believe I was created for no other reason than to worship Him. Seriously, I'm not sure I even could worship Him if that's what I believed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 07:25 PM
 
5,500 posts, read 4,415,727 times
Reputation: 5146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Verna, I agree with you that "missing the mark" is an explanation that trivializes sin. Sinning involves much more than simply not constantly measuring up to a standard of perfection and should be taken very seriously. I disagree with you, though, that sinners are not children of God. A parent-child relationship is not disolved by disobedience. I believe that sinners are still His children, but that their sins are a source of anguish for Him as any child's sins are to any loving parent. He wants nothing more than for them to repent, but does not simply disown them.
...beautifully said...from the core!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 07:42 PM
 
37,500 posts, read 25,238,629 times
Reputation: 5855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm curious as to why you believe this -- that the only reason God created us was to worship Him. Don't get me wrong; I do worship Him, and I recognize that every single solitary blessing I have comes from Him. But I certainly don't believe I was created for no other reason than to worship Him. Seriously, I'm not sure I even could worship Him if that's what I believed.
Worship is terribly misunderstood. It is NOT our purpose and it is NOT for God . . . it is a way for us to achieve the closeness and eventual oneness with God that IS our purpose. This primitive concept of an ego-centric God desiring worship, praise, glory, honor, etc. is a purely HUMAN conception. God IS glory and NOTHING we do can add to or subtract from that . . . God has NO human weaknesses or traits, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 08:03 PM
 
3,576 posts, read 453,717 times
Reputation: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Wait a sec Heartsong...I didn't see anything Verna wrote that could be construed as "boasting". I don't recall that she has said she is "more righteous", or better, than anyone else either. Why the judgement and negativity? Common...let her speak her peace, and then let's move on. Maybe we all will learn something about "missing the mark", if we can get past this stumbling block...

Just IMO...

Bud
Hey Bud,

Are you saying that we all can learn how to separate what someone has said previously and only focus on what they are saying now?

I believe that Heartsong is reacting to what Verna has said in previous posts of hers:-

If you have followed Verna's posts you will know that she believes that keeping the commandments including the 4th sabbath is what overcoming is and salvation hinges on that - she keeps the commandments (that is the obedience that God requires, including keeping the sabbath) and is saved --- what she has also said is that if you willfully sin ie do not keep the sabbath, you are not saved and will perish in your sin and either not be resurrected or be resurrected to a second death -- Is that right Verna?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top