U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 12:02 PM

5,047 posts, read 4,489,346 times

Advertisements

According to my understanding of Universal Reconciliation, their god is just love. As such, all people will be eventually reconciled to this god. There's no burning hell for sinners.

Questions: If this god of Universal Reconciliation does exist, where is he now? Why does he allow hundreds of thousands to perish in natural disasters? Why do untold thousands, and perhaps millions, starve to death? Why do people die of horrible diseases? Where is this UR god of just love now? Where is his mercy now? If he doesn't show mercy now, why would he show it later?

The reality of this life seems to defy the notion that mercy will be eventually granted to all by this god of UR. He seems to be a fantasy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 12:28 PM

7,374 posts, read 7,084,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
According to my understanding of Universal Reconciliation, their god is just love. As such, all people will be eventually reconciled to this god. There's no burning hell for sinners.

Questions: If this god of Universal Reconciliation does exist, where is he now? Why does he allow hundreds of thousands to perish in natural disasters? Why do untold thousands, and perhaps millions, starve to death? Why do people die of horrible diseases? Where is this UR god of just love now? Where is his mercy now? If he doesn't show mercy now, why would he show it later?

The reality of this life seems to defy the notion that mercy will be eventually granted to all by this god of UR. He seems to be a fantasy.

God allows evil and death and sin to exist in the world at this time so that we can learn from it.

This life in this world is a learning experience, and God is using this time to show his power and the riches of his glory.

If we never experienced the evils of this world we would never be able to truly appreciate the glories of the world to come ...

Old 07-25-2010, 09:20 PM

1,897 posts, read 1,692,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
God allows evil and death and sin to exist in the world at this time so that we can learn from it.

This life in this world is a learning experience, and God is using this time to show his power and the riches of his glory.

If we never experienced the evils of this world we would never be able to truly appreciate the glories of the world to come ...
I agree with Ironmaw. This life is just a blink of the eye, or a vapor compared to eternity, so I have faith that someday we will understand and all these earthly troubles will no longer matter. Romans 8:18 says "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us."

Old 07-26-2010, 01:42 AM

3,575 posts, read 382,477 times
Quote:

I am confused by your post as it sounds like you want to talk about UR beliefs to those who do not believe in UR or are you interested in discussing the beliefs of UR with a christian/s who believes in UR? It just seems to me that your understandings are in no way related to what I actually believe - it seems to be based on a lot of misconceptions .......

Old 07-26-2010, 01:55 AM

3,381 posts, read 3,318,911 times
Quote:

My questions is this: How else are we supposed to learn to HATE evil? If God is creating creatures in his image, hating evil is a pre-requisite.

Could you learn to hate evil by being perfectly innocent and reading about bad things in a book?

When all is said and done, I don't think anybody is going to be arguing with him anymore.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:06 AM

4,346 posts, read 5,480,568 times
Quote:

Wow - strange post. Sounds more like a question an atheist would ask.

So - you think (for example) starving children in Africa proves that God is - not just love? Because, ________ (what?). They are getting what they deserve?

Why would a forgiven Christian get raped or get cancer - in your view? Because God is ___________ ?

What?

Old 07-26-2010, 02:19 AM

3,381 posts, read 3,318,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Wow - strange post. Sounds more like a question an atheist would ask.

So - you think (for example) starving children in Africa proves that God is - not just love? Because, ________ (what?). They are getting what they deserve?

Why would a forgiven Christian get raped or get cancer - in your view? Because God is ___________ ?
What?
And, God doesn't rape people. People rape people.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:26 AM

4,346 posts, read 5,480,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
And, God doesn't rape people. People rape people.
That's what I'm thinking - and I'm wondering where Mr. scgraham is going with this "Where is He now?" talk.

The only rationale I can get for the OP is something like "Since He doesn't care what happens to us now - why would He care later?".

Old 07-26-2010, 08:22 AM

36,355 posts, read 24,428,191 times
Quote:

You do NOT believe that God has actually given us DOMINION over the earth and all that is in or on it, period. God is concerned with our SPIRITUAL development and how we OVERCOME what is here and treat each other.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:39 AM

4,309 posts, read 5,373,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
My questions is this: How else are we supposed to learn to HATE evil? If God is creating creatures in his image, hating evil is a pre-requisite.

Could you learn to hate evil by being perfectly innocent and reading about bad things in a book?

When all is said and done, I don't think anybody is going to be arguing with him anymore.

How else are we suppose to learn to HATE evil you ask? Why do you want to learn HATE? Your God doesn't HATE remember? He's all love! Evil people will ALL be reconciled to Him according to UR! That's the purest form of love according to UR.

If your God is a God of all love, then Hate shouldn't be anywhere in your vocabulary! Because GOD destroys evil!! And how He accomplishes that is entirely up to Him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity