Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 09:48 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times

Advertisements

Not too long ago, June started the imfamous "ET...UR....ET" thread. She is still confounded, however, as regards what else would be considered the central message of the New Testement. So this thread is intended to ask that question, as ocassionally nonbelieving minds just want to know.

~Please note that June would love to jokingly say that she would prefer to not see the letters "E" "T" "U" or "R" in any of the responses, but June has the feeling she knows better than to make such a request. --Besides, she is asking a sincere question, and has no emotional attachment to the ET/UR debate.

She is, however, curious as to the responses as regards the above question...

Thanks in advance to whoever wishes to respond and enlighten June!

Take gentle care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 10:10 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,610 times
Hi June,

I tend to think a lot about that scripture that says that in Christ there is neither male nor female:

And all who have been united with Christ in baptism have put on Christ, like putting on new clothes. There is no longer Jew or Gentile, slave or free, male and female. For you are all one in Christ Jesus. - Galatians 3: 27-28

This scripture is important to me because it seems to me like the strife and hatred and violence in the world is caused by lack of respect for one another in the sense of recognizing all people as children of God. The problem in the world is DIVISION or LACK OF ONENESS. This often plays out in terms of racism, sexism, and religious intolerance. Those who take the bible literally word for word cannot tolerate others. Same deal for those with other religious holy books (such as Muslims, Jews, etc). One glaring example of people "quoting the bible" but being full of darkness is how the KKK taught people to hate the black man and claimed that they were "Christians", claiming that the "mark of Cain" was the curse of the black man. And of course people take things from the bible to curse women with as well and do all kind of heinous things because of what they read in a book.

Anyway, you started another good thread - and I thank you for that. I'm sure it has the potential to grow heated without so much as a U, R, E or T being involved!

Heartsong

"A soft word turns away wrath" - A Bible Proverb

Old 07-28-2010, 10:36 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post

The problem in the world is DIVISION or LACK OF ONENESS.

"A soft word turns away wrath" - A Bible Proverb

June totally loves the "lack of oneness" aspect that you pointed out/addressed. She agrees!

P.S. She wasn't familiar with/aware of the quote from the bible that you wrote, above, but she likes that, as well!

Thank you, and....

Take gentle care!

Old 07-28-2010, 10:53 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Not too long ago, June started the imfamous "ET...UR....ET" thread. She is still confounded, however, as regards what else would be considered the central message of the New Testement. So this thread is intended to ask that question, as ocassionally nonbelieving minds just want to know.

IMO the central message of the NT is that God is calling a people to spend eternity with Him. He wants relationship with those who are interested. Thru Jesus you can have said relationship.

Many will say yes. Many will say no thanks. Those who say no thanks will spend eternity not with God.

Now I understand that to the atheist this is a big "So what-there is no God". OTOH if there is a God this becomes the central question of life.

So there you have it.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:18 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,251,422 times
I have way too many favorites to pull out just one, but since Friday night is coming, the one I am thinking of is the part of the acrostic poem my husband reads to me on Friday nights:
[quote] 10 A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
And on the table lie two gigungous "rubies" from the craft store -- but they're pretty!
11 Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
And he looks at me with "those eyes" and "that smile"
12 She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.
And he looks at me again.

He reads on . . . .

16 She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
A couple times, he teased me about the wheelbarrel I planted mint in, calling that my field. Sometimes, he brings up the grapevine I planted that is absolutely prolific
17 She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks. . . .
18 She sees that her trading is profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night.
19 In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
20 She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.
21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
He grins at me, because I wear red almost every day.
22 She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
He often adds "really, red."
23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
. . . and he reads on . . . .
28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
Ah, the children! Well, they have always been so good to me.
29 "Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all."
He smiles at me.
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
Yet he still calls me beautiful. I DO have him fooled!
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
31 Give her the reward she has earned,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.
Ah! Friday nights are the best nights!

. . . Then I read my Psalms to him . . . .

Old 07-28-2010, 11:23 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
The phrase "I tell you the truth....." appears 25 times in the NT (spoken by Jesus)

There are 126 different names\titles in the NT for Jesus

Some of the same names\titles are used for the Father

There is one God, yet he refers to himself plurally
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

God alone can forgive sin...

" Forgive, and deal with each man according to all he does, since you know his heart (for you alone know the hearts of men)"
1 Kings 8:39, 2 Chronicles 6:30

".......... Who can forgive sins but God alone?" Mark 2:7, Luke 5:21

Jesus forgave sins:
"Then Jesus said to her, "Your sins are forgiven." Luke 7:48

Jesus knew what was in the heart:
"Knowing their thoughts, Jesus said, "Why do you entertain evil thoughts in your hearts?" Matthew 9:4

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

2 Samuel 7:28
"O Sovereign LORD, you are God! Your words are trustworthy, "

John 6:68
Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life."

Revelation 21:5
"He [Jesus] who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true."

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Belief in Jesus is mandatory for eternal life:

John 3:15
that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.

John 3:16
" that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

John 3:18
"Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already"

John 3:36
"Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life"

John 5:24
"I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes....."

John 6:35
Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty."

John 6:47
I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life.

Acts 13:39
Through him everyone who believes is justified

1 John 5:5
Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.

Last edited by twin.spin; 07-28-2010 at 11:43 PM..

Old 07-28-2010, 11:32 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,615,424 times
Christianity has a rich heritage and many many many diverse things are discussed all over from how to handle money to what perfect love is to sexual topics to the afterlife to the purpose for existence itself - there are a zillion zillion subjects and opinions.

What we are experiencing here at CD (in the UR vs. ET debate) is what I would call a "holy rebellion". Even though I know you are TIRED of hearing the same conflicts over and over - it is possibly the start of a defining moment in Christianity - maybe the beginnings of a transformation of Christianity that you are witnessing.

Really - this isn't happening everywhere - so consider yourself blessed to have a front row seat.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:39 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,192,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Christianity has a rich heritage and many many many diverse things are discussed all over from how to handle money to what perfect love is to sexual topics to the afterlife to the purpose for existence itself - there are a zillion zillion subjects and opinions.

What we are experiencing here at CD (in the UR vs. ET debate) is what I would call a "holy rebellion". Even though I know you are TIRED of hearing the same conflicts over and over - it is possibly the start of a defining moment in Christianity - maybe the beginnings of a transformation of Christianity that you are witnessing.

Really - this isn't happening everywhere - so consider yourself blessed to have a front row seat.

After 2000 years of being told exactly what to believe, some of us are getting restless. They (me) want to learn on their own. I don't know about anyone else, but I got very excited when I found out God wasn't going to torture people forever.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:03 AM

5,503 posts, read 5,567,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post

~Please note that June would love to jokingly say that she would prefer to not see the letters "E" "T" "U" or "R" in any of the responses, but June has the feeling she knows better than to make such a request. --Besides, she is asking a sincere question, and has no emotional attachment to the ET/UR debate.

She is, however, curious as to the responses as regards the above question...

Thanks in advance to whoever wishes to respond and enlighten June!

Take gentle care.
So...what's up Doc...?

Old 07-29-2010, 12:33 AM

5,503 posts, read 5,567,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
I have way too many favorites to pull out just one, but since Friday night is coming, the one I am thinking of is the part of the acrostic poem my husband reads to me on Friday nights:
10 A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
And on the table lie two gigungous "rubies" from the craft store -- but they're pretty!
11 Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
And he looks at me with "those eyes" and "that smile"
12 She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.
And he looks at me again.

He reads on . . . .

16 She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
A couple times, he teased me about the wheelbarrel I planted mint in, calling that my field. Sometimes, he brings up the grapevine I planted that is absolutely prolific
17 She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks. . . .
18 She sees that her trading is profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night.
19 In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
20 She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.
21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
He grins at me, because I wear red almost every day.
22 She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
He often adds "really, red."
23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
. . . and he reads on . . . .
28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
Ah, the children! Well, they have always been so good to me.
29 "Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all."
He smiles at me.
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
Yet he still calls me beautiful. I DO have him fooled!
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
31 Give her the reward she has earned,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.
Ah! Friday nights are the best nights!

. . . Then I read my Psalms to him . . . .
I know this is off topic but...Proverbs 31:10-31 also happens to be one of my favorites...your husband sounds so sweet Velcro...I'm so happy for you...from the core...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity